FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Studio User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Tommy Hjalmarsson
 
Default File system errors - Ext4 ?

Robin Darlington wrote:
Ok I have had a quick look at that bug and I have a few
questions.


First of all I am running*2.6.31-rt kernel and the bug
is said to affect*2.6.32-rc1 and above is it
still possible that it may be the same bug?




How can I fix it? Should I reinstall with ext3 filesystem? will
ext3 perform as well*as ext4*for Audio *?



Thanks,

Robin


2009/11/5 Tommy Hjalmarsson <tommy.h@bredband.net>




Robin Darlington wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am running a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio Karmic and I
have
now experienced filesystem errors twice.
The first time I put my computer to sleep and upon waking up
it
would not accept my password (not due to keyboard layout : i checked by
typing it in username field) so I restarted and then *I had to run fsck
manually to fix the Filesystem errors. The seccond time I was trying to
install some software in the terminal via sudo apt-get and the sudo was
just getting ignored. So i restarted and once again had to run fsck in
order for my system to boot. I installed with a ext4 filesystem.



Does anyone have any ideas what is going on here? and how to
fix
it?
Has this happened to anybody else? Could it be to do with
the
fact that I am using to tweak ubuntu**to
install third
party software (Opera, VirtualBox, Code Blocks etc.) ?



Thank you for your time,
Robin



Here is a bugg comment:

Comment #6 From
Alexey Fisher

2009-10-10 16:48:58 -------
Ok, i think i know now how it's happed. I nneded some time to play to reproduce
it. There is _no_difference_ if you just boot 2.6.32 kernel run fsck and then
boot 2.6.31 kernel and run fsck again - nothing will happen.

here is the way i reproduced it:
1. crash (reset or poweroff) 2.6.32-rc3 kernel,
2. start again in 2.6.32-rc3
3. run fsck it well looks clean.. but some progrums will lost it setting.

4. reboot and start with 2.6.31 kernel
5. run fsck and this will find that ext4 is brocken.
6. after fsck fix it.. many fils will be lost.

>From the website: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14354






--

Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list

Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users










I don't think it's a big difference between ext3 and ext4 in audio
performance, but it's only my guess.



And more rapport about Ext4 problem in Ubuntu 9.10 are coming in.



Possible
corruption of large files with ext4 filesystem

There
have been some reports of data corruption with fresh (not upgraded)
ext4 file systems using the Ubuntu 9.10 kernel when writing to large
files (over 512MB). The issue is under investigation, and if confirmed
will be resolved in a post-release update. Users who routinely
manipulate large files may want to consider using ext3 file systems
until this issue is resolved. (453579)



From the website:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910



I had this problem my self.





--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 11-05-2009, 05:08 PM
David Stephens
 
Default File system errors - Ext4 ?

Thankfully I haven't encountered this problem, but I haven't tried saving any large files. After following these posts I am planning to revert back to ext3.



On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Tommy Hjalmarsson <tommy.h@bredband.net> wrote:








Robin Darlington wrote:
Ok I have had a quick look at that bug and I have a few
questions.


First of all I am runningÂ*2.6.31-rt kernel and the bug
is said to affectÂ*2.6.32-rc1 and above is it
still possible that it may be the same bug?




How can I fix it? Should I reinstall with ext3 filesystem? will
ext3 perform as wellÂ*as ext4Â*for Audio Â*?



Thanks,

Robin


2009/11/5 Tommy Hjalmarsson <tommy.h@bredband.net>




Robin Darlington wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am running a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio Karmic and I
have
now experienced filesystem errors twice.
The first time I put my computer to sleep and upon waking up
it
would not accept my password (not due to keyboard layout : i checked by
typing it in username field) so I restarted and then Â*I had to run fsck
manually to fix the Filesystem errors. The seccond time I was trying to
install some software in the terminal via sudo apt-get and the sudo was
just getting ignored. So i restarted and once again had to run fsck in
order for my system to boot. I installed with a ext4 filesystem.



Does anyone have any ideas what is going on here? and how to
fix
it?
Has this happened to anybody else? Could it be to do with
the
fact that I am using to tweak ubuntuÂ*Â*to
install third
party software (Opera, VirtualBox, Code Blocks etc.) ?



Thank you for your time,
Robin



Here is a bugg comment:

Comment #6 From
Alexey Fisher

2009-10-10 16:48:58 -------
Ok, i think i know now how it's happed. I nneded some time to play to reproduce
it. There is _no_difference_ if you just boot 2.6.32 kernel run fsck and then
boot 2.6.31 kernel and run fsck again - nothing will happen.

here is the way i reproduced it:
1. crash (reset or poweroff) 2.6.32-rc3 kernel,
2. start again in 2.6.32-rc3
3. run fsck it well looks clean.. but some progrums will lost it setting.

4. reboot and start with 2.6.31 kernel
5. run fsck and this will find that ext4 is brocken.
6. after fsck fix it.. many fils will be lost.

>From the website: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14354






--

Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list

Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users










I don't think it's a big difference between ext3 and ext4 in audio
performance, but it's only my guess.



And more rapport about Ext4 problem in Ubuntu 9.10 are coming in.



Possible
corruption of large files with ext4 filesystem

There
have been some reports of data corruption with fresh (not upgraded)
ext4 file systems using the Ubuntu 9.10 kernel when writing to large
files (over 512MB). The issue is under investigation, and if confirmed
will be resolved in a post-release update. Users who routinely
manipulate large files may want to consider using ext3 file systems
until this issue is resolved. (453579)



From the website:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910



I had this problem my self.






--

Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list

Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users




--
“When you get to the end of all the light you know and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: either you will be given something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly.” -- Dr. Edward Teller



--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 
Old 11-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Tommy Hjalmarsson
 
Default File system errors - Ext4 ?

David Stephens wrote:
Thankfully I haven't encountered this problem, but I
haven't tried saving any large files. After following these posts I am
planning to revert back to ext3.







On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Tommy
Hjalmarsson <tommy.h@bredband.net>
wrote:




Robin Darlington wrote:
Ok I have had a quick look at that bug and
I have a few
questions.


First of all I am runningÂ*2.6.31-rt kernel and the bug
is said to affectÂ*2.6.32-rc1
and above is it
still possible that it may be the same bug?




How can I fix it? Should I reinstall with ext3 filesystem?
will
ext3 perform as wellÂ*as ext4Â*for Audio Â*?



Thanks,

Robin


2009/11/5 Tommy Hjalmarsson <tommy.h@bredband.net>




Robin Darlington wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am running a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio Karmic and
I
have
now experienced filesystem errors twice.
The first time I put my computer to sleep and upon
waking up
it
would not accept my password (not due to keyboard layout : i checked by
typing it in username field) so I restarted and then Â*I had to run fsck
manually to fix the Filesystem errors. The seccond time I was trying to
install some software in the terminal via sudo apt-get and the sudo was
just getting ignored. So i restarted and once again had to run fsck in
order for my system to boot. I installed with a ext4 filesystem.



Does anyone have any ideas what is going on here? and
how to
fix
it?
Has this happened to anybody else? Could it be to do
with
the
fact that I am using to tweak ubuntuÂ*Â*to
install third
party software (Opera, VirtualBox, Code Blocks etc.) ?



Thank you for your time,
Robin



Here is a bugg comment:

Comment #6 From Alexey Fisher

2009-10-10 16:48:58 -------
Ok, i think i know now how it's happed. I nneded some time to play to reproduce
it. There is _no_difference_ if you just boot 2.6.32 kernel run fsck and then
boot 2.6.31 kernel and run fsck again - nothing will happen.

here is the way i reproduced it:
1. crash (reset or poweroff) 2.6.32-rc3 kernel,
2. start again in 2.6.32-rc3
3. run fsck it well looks clean.. but some progrums will lost it setting.

4. reboot and start with 2.6.31 kernel
5. run fsck and this will find that ext4 is brocken.
6. after fsck fix it.. many fils will be lost.

>From the website: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14354






--

Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list

Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users












I don't think it's a big difference between ext3 and ext4 in audio
performance, but it's only my guess.



And more rapport about Ext4 problem in Ubuntu 9.10 are coming in.



Possible
corruption of large files with ext4 filesystem

There
have been some reports of data corruption with fresh (not upgraded)
ext4 file systems using the Ubuntu 9.10 kernel when writing to large
files (over 512MB). The issue is under investigation, and if confirmed
will be resolved in a post-release update. Users who routinely
manipulate large files may want to consider using ext3 file systems
until this issue is resolved. (453579)




>From the website:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910



I had this problem my self.






--

Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list

Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users










--

“When you get to the end of all the light you know and it's time to
step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two
things shall happen: either you will be given something solid to stand
on, or you will be taught how to fly.” -- Dr. Edward Teller


Better to be safe than sorry



--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org