-   -   fonts (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/2727-fonts.html)

"" 11-22-2007 02:47 AM

fonts

I would love to see an end to the practice of including all those foreign
language fonts in a default English language distribution.

Is this something possible within the bounds of ubuntustudio's next release ?

I understand it may be necessary for language switchers, but I find it a pain to
keep removing them every time I install, as well as plain annoying.

If the majority of ubuntustudio users are English, French or Spanish speaking,
then it seems unnecessary.

Also,

Any ideas why it is mostly middle eastern names in the fonts and yet I don't see
eastern european, or hispanic font names.

Are we deliberately trying to cater to that particular culture ?

"holotone@gmail.com" 11-22-2007 02:58 AM

fonts

Uhh... Why in the world do you have to remove the fonts? The only time I even notice that they are there is when browsing foreign language websites, and even then it beats seeing character placeholders. Is there somewhere they are getting in your way?

Regardless, Ubuntu isn't "meant" for any language - The entire OS is available in basically every living language today, and for very good reason - The world doesn't rotate around English speakers, nor are thy the only folks taking advantage of this incredible software...

~h

"Steve Lindsay" 11-22-2007 03:29 AM

fonts

On Nov 22, 2007 2:47 PM, <mark@msbrepairs.com> wrote:

> I understand it may be necessary for language switchers, but I find it a pain to
> keep removing them every time I install, as well as plain annoying.

Why do you need to remove them?

> Also,
>
> Any ideas why it is mostly middle eastern names in the fonts and yet I don't see
> eastern european, or hispanic font names.
>
> Are we deliberately trying to cater to that particular culture ?

Yes I believe that is definitely the case, and also that the mailing
list policy is being changed soon to only accept questions/answers in
arabic. Maybe someone should add this to the faq/wiki?

Steve

"holotone@gmail.com" 11-22-2007 03:37 AM

fonts