Old 01-01-2008, 08:32 PM
"Paul DeShaw"

Default Subject: "The Death of High Fidelity" Sad, sad, sad...

From:*"D. Michael McIntyre" <
michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com>
To:*Ubuntu Studio Users Help and Discussion <ubuntu-studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Date:*Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:45:33 -0500

Subject:*Re: "The Death of High Fidelity" Sad, sad, sad...
On Saturday 29 December 2007, Cory K. wrote:
> > I guess there's a certain element of where to draw the line here, but
> > it's depressing how far down the line is trending these days.

> *sigh*

Kinda makes me wonder if the next big thing in audio formats will be .wax.cyl
files.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

I have to admit I was too scared to read the Rolling Stone article.* On a positive note, I've noticed two things:

There is a countertrend in the* arena of* DIY music; a trend for people to participate in music-making rather than merely being consumers.* Witness the so-called "recreational music" movement for adults, or, my own obsession, early childhood music.* Children exposed to participatory music from an early age make music as a normal part of life; it becomes as natural as speech for them.* I just wonder if people who are used to making their own music, often on acoustic instruments, will be satisfied with the sound of lossy compression--especially if they've been exposed to live singing and playing since birth.

The other thing I noticed, when I was taking audio production classes last year, was a very acute awareness about these problems among 19-22 year old future audio engineers, performers, and producers.* I heard these young adults lament the bad sound of Mp3's and brick-wall mastering.* If the next generation that produces music is this aware, it gives me a little hope, especially if they are producing music for people whose ears have been sensitized to the nuances of musical sound from an early age.

Peace,

Paul

www.ecmma.org
www.giml.org