Old 01-01-2008, 02:05 PM
"alex stone"

Default Hardy kernel

Susan, thanks for the heads up. I was considering an upgrade fairly soon. I'll hold off now. Good info at the right time!

For those who are using Ubuntustudio for audio work, i've charted a bit of a journey in a thread on the Reaper forum. I'm a new user of linux, and thought i'd document the journey. Who knows, maybe others will gain something from it too.

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15238

Happy new year to you all,and i wish for all of you an enjoyable, prosperous, and successful 2008.

I do hope, given the enjoyment and working satisfaction i've already gained from Ubuntustudio, that this 'flavour' of ubuntu continues well into the future.

Well done and thanks to all concerned. You did good, lol.

Alex Stone.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Susan Cragin

The Alpha 2 CD still does not load the kernel properly on my machine.
However, I re-installed my system using the Alpha 1 disk and then running a dist-upgrade, and am now running flawlessly. Pulse is listed. (I haven't tried it yet.) So I assume I have all the Alpha 2 upgrades. The default desktop changed, and a couple of other things.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:15 PM
"Cory K."

Susan Cragin wrote:
> The Alpha 2 CD still does not load the kernel properly on my machine.
> However, I re-installed my system using the Alpha 1 disk and then
> running a dist-upgrade, and am now running flawlessly. Pulse is
> listed. (I haven't tried it yet.) So I assume I have all the Alpha 2
> upgrades. The default desktop changed, and a couple of other things.

The new -rt kernel will be uploaded Friday. It *should* be in Alpha3.
There will be a new Metacity soon. Usplash and GDM are W.I.P.

What is your opinion of the new layout?

-Cory m/

Old 01-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Susan Cragin

In general I like it very much. It is nice and clean and configurable. Graphics seem better.
I have a peculiar view of Studio, because I use it mostly to run Dragon NaturallySpeaking through WINE, which it does very well.
Need only clean-ness, low latency, speed, do not run many other apps.
Wish it configured the indigoio pcmcia soundcard easily, but other than that I am one very happy user. Eagerly awaiting upcoming improvements to ALSA.