Old 12-31-2007, 11:27 PM
"holotone@gmail.com"

Default Hassle Free USB Audio Interface

The UCA202 easily meets my "hassle free" requirements; Sadly, though, XRUNS go through the roof when running ZynAddSubFX using anything but the simplest of instruments.

On the other hand, it works just fine for basic Ardour recording and generally well with Hydrogen.

~h

Hey there holotone.

I just installed Ubuntu Studio yesterday and would like to use it
with an el-cheapo Behringer UCA202, which is (I think) the same one
bundled with their mixers, and therefore the same one you have.**What

sort of hassles have you run into?**I was able to get mine loaded up
but haven't really done any proper testing, just played audio through
it.

Installation was as easy as plugging it in and setting it as the

playback device in the little sound manager app.

Of course, I'm quite new to linux so perhaps I've overlooked something?

Thanks in advance, and good luck with your search!

- Warrior Bob

--
~holotone
http://holotone.net/

Old 12-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Luke Yelavich

Old 01-01-2008, 04:03 AM
"holotone@gmail.com"

Actually tried that for the first time after finding an anecdotal success story while trolling for solutions the other day and amazingly did see an improvement - Though not quite to the degree I'd like to see.

Thanks for asking, though!

On 12/31/07, Luke Yelavich <themuso@themuso.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 11:27:37AM EST, holotone@gmail.com wrote:
> The UCA202 easily meets my "hassle free" requirements; Sadly, though, XRUNS
> go through the roof when running ZynAddSubFX using anything but the simplest

> of instruments.

What settings are you using with jack? have you tried a different number of periods, for example 3 periods instead of 2?
- - --
Luke Yelavich
--

~holotone
http://holotone.net/

Old 01-01-2008, 07:47 PM
"holotone@gmail.com"

So no one out there knows of a single hassle free USB audio interface? Seriously? Is audio production in Linux just a guaranteed headache?
--
~holotone
http://holotone.net/

Old 01-01-2008, 07:50 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

Mbox???

Probably everyone's out on holiday.. :-)

On Jan 1, 2008 3:47 PM, holotone@gmail.com <holotone@gmail.com

christopherstamper@gmail.com

http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

Old 01-01-2008, 08:36 PM
thomas fisher

On Monday 31 December 2007 12:56:50 holotone@gmail.com wrote:
> All I'd really like to be able to do is play with Ardour for recording and
> ZynAddSubFX for synthesizing without getting XRUNs - The el-cheapo
> behringer USB interface that came with my mixer clearly isn't cutting the
> cheese. Hassle free is a BIG plus for me - I don't want to mess with hacks
> and configs, I just want it to work. For the purposes of the discussion,
> let's pretend cost isn't a consideration, though cheaper is ALWAYS better.
> USB sadly is a must, as it is the only i / o my Asus Eee has.
>
> Which USB audio interface / sound card would you all suggest?

Is your USB level 2?
Tom

Old 01-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Florin Andrei

holotone@gmail.com wrote:
> So no one out there knows of a single hassle free USB audio interface?
> Seriously? Is audio production in Linux just a guaranteed headache?

It's not a headache. There's plenty of interfaces out there that work
well with Linux. I use this one (HeadRoom Total BitHead) with a pair of
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro to listen to music at the office and I had zero
issues. Yes, it works with jackd too. Just plug it in and it works.

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-mobile-line/headroom-total-bithead.php

OK, this may not be what you're looking for - it's for listening, not
for the music lab, but it shows it can be done. It's just a matter of
the USB chip that the interface uses, and there's plenty of chips that
are well supported by Linux.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/

Old 01-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Florin Andrei

holotone@gmail.com wrote:
> USB sadly is a must, as it is the only i / o my Asus Eee has.

Are you sure your machine has enough CPU power to deal with the more
complex patches? After all, it's just a 900 MHz Celeron.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/

Old 01-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Florin Andrei

Florin Andrei wrote:
> holotone@gmail.com wrote:
>> USB sadly is a must, as it is the only i / o my Asus Eee has.
>
> Are you sure your machine has enough CPU power to deal with the more
> complex patches? After all, it's just a 900 MHz Celeron.

Scratch that. It's _rated_ 900 MHz, but it's actually _clocked_ at 630.
That's pretty slow, you know. That's like the system I was using in
2001. I remember it being not amazingly fast. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC#Criticism

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/