Old 12-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Jesus Arocho

Default audacity and jack

Hello. I have a system running kubuntustudio amd64. Ardour and jack work
fine, as well as hydrogen. I cannot seem to get audacity to work with jack.
If jack is running, audacity fails to even load. audacity will load if jack
is stopped; I can then start jack but cannot find any connections in either
jack or audacity regarding each other.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:21 PM

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:47:14 -0500
Jesus Arocho <jesus_arocho@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hello. I have a system running kubuntustudio amd64. Ardour and jack
> work fine, as well as hydrogen. I cannot seem to get audacity to
> work with jack. If jack is running, audacity fails to even load.
> audacity will load if jack is stopped; I can then start jack but
> cannot find any connections in either jack or audacity regarding each
> other.

Audacity doesn't really work well with jack but as far as I remember it
starts but shows it ports in qjackctl (jackcontrol) only when you hit
play.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:03 PM
thomas fisher

On Sunday 30 December 2007 04:47:14 Jesus Arocho wrote:
> Hello. I have a system running kubuntustudio amd64. Ardour and jack work
> fine, as well as hydrogen. I cannot seem to get audacity to work with
> jack. If jack is running, audacity fails to even load. audacity will load
> if jack is stopped; I can then start jack but cannot find any connections
> in either jack or audacity regarding each other.
Hi
Try a search of the Linux Audio User and developers archive. This archive
spans a large number of years so you may have to fine tune your query.

http://lad.linuxaudio.org/index.html

Or join the LAU list.

Tom

Old 12-31-2007, 03:16 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

That's supposed to happen. I think so, at least.

Audacity doesn't use jack. It's for people who don't even know what jack is.. :-)

Maybe it's a problem. But everyone I know has the same problem...

christopherstamper@gmail.com
http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

Old 12-31-2007, 04:00 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Monday 31 December 2007, Christopher Stamper wrote:
> Audacity doesn't use jack. It's for people who don't even know what jack
> is.. :-)
>
> Maybe it's a problem. But everyone I know has the same problem...

That's a reasonable assessment of the facts as I see them too. I used to use
Audacity in the dark days when I was too stupid to get JACK to work.

(I'm still too stupid to get JACK to work. Why do you think I switched to
Ubuntu Studio! )
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Jesus Arocho

Ok. I wanted to use audacity for its plugins, specifically click removal. I
have searched but have not found how to do it in ardour.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:43 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Monday 31 December 2007, Jesus Arocho wrote:

> Ok. I wanted to use audacity for its plugins, specifically click removal.
> I have searched but have not found how to do it in ardour.

Interesting. I had a look at it, and "Click removal" and a bunch of other
things were grayed out. Anyway, it looks like those are probably builtin
functions, instead of plugin based (I'd have to get and look at the source to
be sure, so let's just go with my guess) so you probably really do need to
run Audacity to use that. (Or find another way with some LADSPA plugin in a
JACK-friendly wave editor like reZound or mhwaveedit.)

Audacity not using JACK probably doesn't matter so much for this purpose
anyway, since you're not wanting to do anything in realtime. Just stop JACK
temporarily, then start it back up when needed. Might I suggest that
QJackCtl makes this very easy, if you're not already using it.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 01-01-2008, 03:09 AM
thomas fisher

-------------------------->clipped <--------------------
> D. Michael McIntyre

Granted for a very simple no brainer basic audio, but if you want to explore
the Linux audio skys and or build a high resolution DAW then check out the
super audio highway called jack that connects and syncs independent apps and
functions.
Nicely written .pdf article by Dave Phillips.
http://www.linux-magazine.com/issues/2006/67/knowing_jack

Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Jesus Arocho

That's what I ended up with. I record the LP records, turn off jack, open
audacity and process the waveforms. Just seems a lot of work for what would
seem a basic audio workflow. But still, I am way ahead of the game when
compared with the MS alternatives.

Thanks

Old 01-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Jesus Arocho

The audacity version installed with ubuntustudio was compiled with the
necessary libraries. I tried running jack with portaudio driver and it
failed.