Old 12-29-2007, 05:18 AM
Florin Andrei

Default upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Friday 28 December 2007, Florin Andrei wrote:
>
>> Are there any issues with doing an upgrade (as opposed to backup /
>> format / install fresh / restore) from Ubuntu Studio 7.04 to 7.10?
>
> I had a number of problems with the upgrade, starting with not being able to
> complete it using the officially recommended graphical tool. I had to go old
> school, and spend an evening with apt-get -f and friends, but I eventually
> worked through the mess. It was a pretty big mess, and it took several
> iterations to get everything upgraded.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what I did. I just worked through it using my Debian Sid
> training. That kind of mess used to be a regular part of my life.

Well, I'm a refugee, fresh from over the fence, from FedoraLand, so I
doubt I'll be able to conjure the proper Debian / Ubuntu incantations in
case something like that happens to my upgrade.

100GB backup, here I come. <sigh>

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/

Old 12-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Andrew Hunter

Florin Andrei wrote:
> D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>> On Friday 28 December 2007, Florin Andrei wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any issues with doing an upgrade (as opposed to backup /
>>> format / install fresh / restore) from Ubuntu Studio 7.04 to 7.10?
>> I had a number of problems with the upgrade, starting with not being able to
>> complete it using the officially recommended graphical tool. I had to go old
>> school, and spend an evening with apt-get -f and friends, but I eventually
>> worked through the mess. It was a pretty big mess, and it took several
>> iterations to get everything upgraded.
>>
>> I'm not sure exactly what I did. I just worked through it using my Debian Sid
>> training. That kind of mess used to be a regular part of my life.
>
> Well, I'm a refugee, fresh from over the fence, from FedoraLand, so I
> doubt I'll be able to conjure the proper Debian / Ubuntu incantations in
> case something like that happens to my upgrade.
>
> 100GB backup, here I come. <sigh>

Since you are doing a format anyway, consider creating a separate
partition for your /home folder and any other place you store media,
that way you can format and reinstall the os without haveing to backup
and restore you data everytime (though having regular backups is a good
idea).

Old 12-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Florin Andrei

Andrew Hunter wrote:
> Since you are doing a format anyway, consider creating a separate
> partition for your /home folder and any other place you store media,
> that way you can format and reinstall the os without haveing to backup
> and restore you data everytime (though having regular backups is a good
> idea).

Well, it's a case of "do as I say, not as I do" - I'm familiar with all
those common practices, it's just that I've been using this system for a
while in fairly "creative" ways (it's a home PC / workstation used for
all kinds of purposes) and the lack of discipline now shows.

Also, there's a conflict between partitioning the drives for easier
reinstallation, and maximizing disk usage via _not_having_ too many
partitions. I chose the latter on purpose - I'm doing all sorts of
things that require a lot of disk space, such as digital video
processing and DVD authoring, a MythTV server, etc.

Having a single root partition and nothing else makes it easier to avoid
situations when I don't have enough disk space to complete the work. But
of course, then it's harder to upgrade the OS, just like you said.

Ah well, one can't have it all, I guess.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/

Old 12-29-2007, 07:08 PM
"Edward Dunagin"

Hi Florin,

On Dec 29, 2007 12:47 PM, Florin Andrei <florin@andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> Andrew Hunter wrote:
> > Since you are doing a format anyway, consider creating a separate
> > partition for your /home folder and any other place you store media,
> > that way you can format and reinstall the os without haveing to backup
> > and restore you data everytime (though having regular backups is a good
> > idea).
>
> Well, it's a case of "do as I say, not as I do" - I'm familiar with all
> those common practices, it's just that I've been using this system for a
> while in fairly "creative" ways (it's a home PC / workstation used for
> all kinds of purposes) and the lack of discipline now shows.
>
> Also, there's a conflict between partitioning the drives for easier
> reinstallation, and maximizing disk usage via _not_having_ too many
> partitions. I chose the latter on purpose - I'm doing all sorts of
> things that require a lot of disk space, such as digital video
> processing and DVD authoring, a MythTV server, etc.
>
> Having a single root partition and nothing else makes it easier to avoid
> situations when I don't have enough disk space to complete the work. But
> of course, then it's harder to upgrade the OS, just like you said.
>
> Ah well, one can't have it all, I guess.

I am running UbuntuStudio and I upgraded to 7.10 via the upgrade
process. I left it do it's thing overnight cause it was so slow. I may
have been the heavy use of the upgrading Site, or who knows. It took
about 6 hours to upgrade, but all wnt fine.

I too have a single root partition for the same reasons you state. I
have a 122GB hard drive.
I also have 1GB of ram.

Peace........................ed

Edward Dunagin-Dunigan-Dunnigan
4646 Glenwood Drive
Bozeman, MT 59718
mobile 406-570-0992
Landline 406-556-7282
http://doas.montanalinux.org

Old 12-29-2007, 10:56 PM
thomas fisher

On Friday 28 December 2007 19:50:54 Florin Andrei wrote:
> Are there any issues with doing an upgrade (as opposed to backup /
> format / install fresh / restore) from Ubuntu Studio 7.04 to 7.10?
>
> I normally backup and install fresh, but on this particular machine I
> have way too many things hanging around and a backup is just too
> impractical.
>
> Any issues during the upgrade related to the special kernel used by
> Studio? Issues with NVidia binary driver?
>
> --
> Florin Andrei
>
> http://florin.myip.org/

Florin
I just did an upgrade from UbuntuStudio 2.6.20 rt kernel to Gutsy 7.10.
Machine PC, 32 bit, P4 D, Intel MB, on board Intel audio. Upgrade via the web
went fine. Only problem was my audio was dead using the standard "generic"
2.6.22 kernel. After some investigation loaded the 2.6.22 rt kernel. All
works now.
Tom