Old 12-29-2007, 01:50 AM
Florin Andrei

Default upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10

Are there any issues with doing an upgrade (as opposed to backup /
format / install fresh / restore) from Ubuntu Studio 7.04 to 7.10?

I normally backup and install fresh, but on this particular machine I
have way too many things hanging around and a backup is just too
impractical.

Any issues during the upgrade related to the special kernel used by
Studio? Issues with NVidia binary driver?

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/

Old 12-29-2007, 03:12 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Friday 28 December 2007, Florin Andrei wrote:

> Are there any issues with doing an upgrade (as opposed to backup /
> format / install fresh / restore) from Ubuntu Studio 7.04 to 7.10?

I had a number of problems with the upgrade, starting with not being able to
complete it using the officially recommended graphical tool. I had to go old
school, and spend an evening with apt-get -f and friends, but I eventually
worked through the mess. It was a pretty big mess, and it took several
iterations to get everything upgraded.

I'm not sure exactly what I did. I just worked through it using my Debian Sid
training. That kind of mess used to be a regular part of my life.

> Any issues during the upgrade related to the special kernel used by
> Studio? Issues with NVidia binary driver?

Not that I remember. I certainly didn't have any highly critical show
stopping problems. It was just a pain in the ass to get the number of
packages that still needed upgrading down to zero.
--
D. Michael McIntyre