Old 01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Kim Cascone

Default studio backups

I've been researching that blind spot in the Linux community: a
decent backup app
and have read various people recommending tar, dd, dump, rsync,
partimage, clonezilla, etc etc
each person has their favorite way to do backups and each is woefully
lame in offering a concise step by step HOWTO
the road of FOSS is littered with half-baked apps that get crap
support by their disinterested developers

I've tried most of these apps but none of them seem to have the exact
set of features I'm looking for
ease of use, ability to cron, flawless backups, informative error
reporting, etc.

I am using an app that I like <somewhat> called QuickStart
QS is basically a script that provides a front end for partimage and tar
and while it backs up my two partitions ('/' + '/home') with tar
my '/home' partition (/dev/sda5) gives an error message with
QuickStart/partimage

so I've been using QuickStart/tar for my 2 partitions with some success
I say 'some success' because I have yet to test them by restoring them

there is also Grsync, and Simple Backup which both have their plusses
and minuses
neither of which seemed ready for prime time

I'm still waiting to test clonezilla which seems promising - and
seems to be a favorite among the more demanding users

anyway, I know that backing up is still a black art in Linux-land for
some reason
so I wanted to ask people here what they use for backing up their
precious audio and session files...

q: what is your favorite backup app and why?

Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 PM
"Cory K."

Kim Cascone wrote:
> q: what is your favorite backup app and why?

There are 2 I would like to see in the repos. (might be there for Jaunty
I gotta look)

* TimeVault - https://launchpad.net/timevault
* Flyback - http://code.google.com/p/flyback

-Cory K.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Sean Edwards

Set up another machine on your network and use cron to schedule rsync (you can do either push or pull). Then, make backups of the remote rsync directory to tape, an external drive, or a thumb drive.

Backula is a good utility too.

-=Sean Edwards=-

Old 01-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Joan Quintana

In my wiki (sorry, in Catalan) I explain how I setup an Iomega Home Network Hard Drive, I mount it and access it via Samba, and I make local backups and remote backups to this drive with rsync.

http://www.empresalibre.org/wiki/index.php/Iomega_Home_Network_Hard_Drive_320GB

http://www.empresalibre.org/wiki/index.php/Backup_UbuntuServer.sh

Joan Quintana

Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Scott

Kim Cascone wrote:
> q: what is your favorite backup app and why?

rsnapshot is fast and quick to recover with.

http://www.rsnapshot.org/

Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Gustin Johnson

Kim Cascone wrote:
> I've been researching that blind spot in the Linux community: a
> decent backup app
> and have read various people recommending tar, dd, dump, rsync,
> partimage, clonezilla, etc etc
> each person has their favorite way to do backups and each is woefully
> lame in offering a concise step by step HOWTO
> the road of FOSS is littered with half-baked apps that get crap
> support by their disinterested developers

This is a classic example of the difference between the Windows and Mac
world, and that of the *Nix world. You are used to a single app that
does "backup". The problem is that "backup" is a generic term that does
not mean much on its own. Backup is also context dependant, my backup
needs are different between work, personal, and studio perspectives.
There is no single app that meets my needs.

Having said that there are a number of of Open Source pieces that I use
depending on the context. See below for more details.

> I've tried most of these apps but none of them seem to have the exact
> set of features I'm looking for
> ease of use, ability to cron, flawless backups, informative error
> reporting, etc.

I suspect that this is a problem with your definition of the problem.
IMO you are asking the wrong question(s). What exactly are you trying
to backup (entire system, data directories, only media projects, home
dir etc.), how exactly do you want to do it (incremental, full partition
dumps and so on), and when exactly (hourly, daily, weekly, something
custom etc.)? You first need to properly define the problem before you
can find a solution.

> I am using an app that I like <somewhat> called QuickStart
> QS is basically a script that provides a front end for partimage and tar
> and while it backs up my two partitions ('/' + '/home') with tar
> my '/home' partition (/dev/sda5) gives an error message with
> QuickStart/partimage

This can be constrained by space as you are dumping entire partitions.
This will in turn limit how much and how often you can backup.

> so I've been using QuickStart/tar for my 2 partitions with some success
> I say 'some success' because I have yet to test them by restoring them
>
> there is also Grsync, and Simple Backup which both have their plusses
> and minuses
> neither of which seemed ready for prime time

Grsync is merely a front end to rsync. I actually use rsync at home to
keep my DAW media files (samples, patches, projects, etc.) sync'd to a
cheap NAS device (DLink DNS-323). I have a cron job that does this
every night.

I use rdiff-backup to backup my personal files (photos, documents etc.)
with rsync.net (a hosted storage drive on the net). I really like
rdiff-backup as it combines both mirroring and incremental backup styles
and can be very efficient over the network (similar to rsync) as it only
transmits the differences. This power comes at the cost of mild
complexity however.

> I'm still waiting to test clonezilla which seems promising - and
> seems to be a favorite among the more demanding users

Does not suit my needs. It is great for cloning a system in an
Enterprise environment, but I don't use if for backup just as most
people do not use Norton Ghost for backup.

> anyway, I know that backing up is still a black art in Linux-land for
> some reason
> so I wanted to ask people here what they use for backing up their
> precious audio and session files...

In my experience back up is a black art across all platforms because
most people do not really know what they want, need, and can afford.
There is a balance here that most of the professionals miss as well so
the problem is not limited to the home or casual user. Most of my
clients did not have a proper backup policy if one existed at all.

> q: what is your favorite backup app and why?

It really depends on the situation. I use a large number of tools that
could all be considered "backup" applications or tools. I tend to roll
what I need up into a simple shell script that is run run via cron or
windows scheduled tasks. In this way each solution solves exactly the
problem that I faced. These tools have included:
bacula, duplicity, rdiff-backup, rsync, backuppc, rsnapshot, subversion
(yes this is not a typo, this is how I backup my USB key full of
scripts). Some of those tools were standalone (backuppc and bacula)
while others were tied together in a script.

It sounds like you are after a GUI tool. You may wish to check out
abact, hubackup, sbackup (the last two are available in
apt/aptitude/synaptic etc.). Abact also runs in Windows and is a pretty
good GUI utility.

If you are not afraid of the command line the following may interest you:
storebackup (available in apt/aptitude/synaptic etc.).

For low cost "cloud" (I really hate that term) backups you may wish to
check out rsync.net or jungledisk.com I am not affiliated with either
of these companies except as a happy customer. They both support MAc,
Windows, and Linux though I have not tested the jungle disk linux client.

Hth,

Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Sean Edwards

I do not think this list is the appropriate place to discuss concepts such as the Tower of Hanoi tape rotation scheme, file bit settings for incremental backups, or encrypting/decrypting tape and disk based file systems.

There are plenty of step by step HOWTO's relating to Linux backup software and practices.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 01-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Kim Cascone

wow! I get chewed out on the ubuntumini list for asking a
hypothetical question
and here I find I ask the wrong questions about backing up that
additionally are inappropriate to the context of this list!?

methinks Ubuntu users have become a sour lot in the short time I've
been on sabbatical!

in any case, here goes round two of my research into to know how
musicians safeguard their assets and final deliveries:

ok let's pick a common scenario:

- you are working on a two partition drive on your studio laptop
- one is '/' the other is '/home'
- you run out of space while working on music project due to working
at a higher sample rate/bit depth
- so you buy a larger HD and install it

- how would UbuntuStudio musicians deal with this scenario?
- basically you want to image/migrate/clone/mirror the original drive
(containing 2 partitions) somewhere then restore it on the new drive

- step by step - how would people go about doing this in their studio?

<I'm assuming the functionality needed for this task would be a
subset of the set functions that exist in the tool used for general
backing up would have>

Old 01-30-2009, 02:49 PM
"Cory K."

Kim Cascone wrote:
> wow! I get chewed out on the ubuntumini list for asking a
> hypothetical question
> and here I find I ask the wrong questions about backing up that
> additionally are inappropriate to the context of this list!?
>
> methinks Ubuntu users have become a sour lot in the short time I've
> been on sabbatical!

Really, I was gonna let you guys battle it out but I'll chime in.

Back-up options are a fine question here as many coming from OSX/Win
will be wondering what their options for backing up sessions are.

And to be fair Kim, it was 1 person. Hardly an ass-chewing.

> in any case, here goes round two of my research into to know how
> musicians safeguard their assets and final deliveries:
>
> ok let's pick a common scenario:
>
> - you are working on a two partition drive on your studio laptop
> - one is '/' the other is '/home'
> - you run out of space while working on music project due to working
> at a higher sample rate/bit depth
> - so you buy a larger HD and install it
>
> - how would UbuntuStudio musicians deal with this scenario?
> - basically you want to image/migrate/clone/mirror the original drive
> (containing 2 partitions) somewhere then restore it on the new drive
>
> - step by step - how would people go about doing this in their studio?
>
> <I'm assuming the functionality needed for this task would be a
> subset of the set functions that exist in the tool used for general
> backing up would have>

I don't think your situation is all that common. It's rather advanced
and power-user-ish IMO.

Here's how I keep 2 drives synced:

* rsync -aur --inplace --delete /media/Storage/ /media/StorageBackup

So I think if you mount both drives, edit my command to match your
source drive and destination drives, then swap 'em the new one should boot.

* rsync -av /media/source /media/destination (that might be fine for
you. edit source/destination)

Though this doesn't address the points you cited in your 1st post. Just
the one above. And grsync might work fine in above cited scenario.

Personally, (dev hat off) saving a session in ~/ is nuts to me if HD
space is even a possibility of an issue. I do *everything* on another
drive. Just me.

I'll leave it to you guys to continue from here.

-Cory K.