Old 12-27-2007, 04:08 PM
"Cory K."

Default DVD authoring

Karlheinz Noise wrote:
> Hello, all. Thought I'd shed some light onto the DVD-authoring quagmire.
>
> The DVD standard requires that video be compressed in MPEG format, and that the audio is _usually_ AC3 format. It then has to be "containerized" into VOB files that contain information such as chapters, subtitles, etc.
>
> Although the MPEG standard is open, the actual algorithms used to encode to MPEG are not, so any video compression algorithm under a GNU license has to start from the ground up. AC3, on the other hand, is not open at all (it's copyright Dolby Digital). The licenses for these things are usually included in the cost of the software and/or hardware.
>
> In other words, any GNU software that deals with DVD authoring is an uphill battle, since it requires working around non-free encoders and whatnot. That's why it's pretty far behind on Linux.
>
> (In fact, most OEM versions of Nero won't even do it... you have to get the full version, or pay for an encoder. At least that's the way it is with my version.)
>
> Be prepared to wait a long while before all this gets resolved... and by then, of course, consumers will have moved on to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, both of which are proprietary I believe.
>
> Having said all that, it seems like QDVD is the best Linux option... Does Ubuntu Studio come with the Qt library already installed? I'm obviously a novice at peeking under the hood, so to speak. If it does, I see no reason that it shouldn't be included in the distribution. (It's out of beta now, isn't it?)
>
> -Karlheinz
> _______________________
> http://www.khznoise.com
> i’m is proud to present Cause Effect, a series about real people making a difference.
> http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/MTV/?source=text_Cause_Effect

Thanx for the post Karlheinz. Was something I was about to post but you
said it just fine.

That said, in this case its not about the QT/GTK libs shipped. Its about
whether we can actually ship QDVD as the tools it uses most likely come
from Multiverse. Since we stay in line with Ubuntu, we cannot do this.
I'll have to dig into dig into QDVD more though.

As far as I know though, if all your sources are encoded already there's
nothing stopping you from creating a DVD. Structure, menus and such. Right?

-Cory m/

Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Jens Van Broeckhoven

Frank McCormick wrote:

Running Squeeze....and lookng for a comprehensive DVD authoring
software. There doesn't seem to be much in the repositories , at least
nothing with a nice GUI front-end.
I am also looking for software to convert some mpeg4 files I have to
avi's.

Anyone got any suggestions ?

Thanks

You'll find most of them (avidemux, devede, mandvd, ... in
debian-multimedia.org

http://debian-multimedia.org/

Packages:
http://debian-multimedia.org/dists/testing/main/binary-i386/

Old 03-19-2009, 07:03 PM
David Fox

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Frank McCormick
<fmccormick@videotron.ca> wrote:
> Running Squeeze....and lookng for a comprehensive DVD authoring
> software. There doesn't seem to be much in the repositories , at least
> nothing with a nice GUI front-end.

tovid (tovid.sourceforge.net) is nice, has a nice generator for menus
and offers plenty of conversion options. It depends on other tools to
get the job done, like transcode, imagemagick, ffmpeg, mplayer,
python, etc.

The SVN repository is a bit more up to date, I think.

> I am also looking for software to convert some mpeg4 files I have to
> avi's.

Transcode or ffmpeg should be able to do that.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Nuno Magalh„es

> tovid (tovid.sourceforge.net) is nice, has a nice generator for menus
> and offers plenty of conversion options. It depends on other tools to
> get the job done, like transcode, imagemagick, ffmpeg, mplayer,
> python, etc.

Is there a .deb for that? Or any way i can install a .tgz that is
easily managed by apt?

Nuno Magalh„es
LU#484677

Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 PM
David Fox

2009/3/19 Nuno Magalh„es <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt>:

> Is there a .deb for that? Or any way i can install a .tgz that is
> easily managed by apt?

Sure is, so you could apt-get install tovid, and you'd probably want
the other related packages as well, todiscgui, and tovidgui.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Frank McCormick

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 10:20 +0100, Jens Van Broeckhoven wrote:
> Frank McCormick wrote:
> > Running Squeeze....and lookng for a comprehensive DVD authoring
> > software. There doesn't seem to be much in the repositories , at least
> > nothing with a nice GUI front-end.
> > I am also looking for software to convert some mpeg4 files I have to
> > avi's.
> >
> > Anyone got any suggestions ?
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> You'll find most of them (avidemux, devede, mandvd, ... in
> debian-multimedia.org
>
> http://debian-multimedia.org/
>
> Packages:
> http://debian-multimedia.org/dists/testing/main/binary-i386/

That did it - added that one and am trying out a few packages.

Thanks

Old 03-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Frank

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 13:03 -0700, David Fox wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Frank McCormick
> <fmccormick@videotron.ca> wrote:
> > Running Squeeze....and lookng for a comprehensive DVD authoring
> > software. There doesn't seem to be much in the repositories , at least
> > nothing with a nice GUI front-end.
>
> tovid (tovid.sourceforge.net) is nice, has a nice generator for menus
> and offers plenty of conversion options. It depends on other tools to
> get the job done, like transcode, imagemagick, ffmpeg, mplayer,
> python, etc.
>
> The SVN repository is a bit more up to date, I think.
>

> > I am also looking for software to convert some mpeg4 files I have to
> > avi's.
>
> Transcode or ffmpeg should be able to do that.

Nice looking package...thanks

Fri Mar 20 01:30:02 2009