Old 12-26-2007, 08:18 PM
"Cory K."

Default More "feature-rich" burning app for Ubuntu Studio-Hardy. (Update)

Ok all. I've been evaluating K3B vs. GNOME burning apps and I'm not
seeing what it really does better in keeping in mind what Ubuntu
Studio's purpose is. (keep in mind I use K3B personally, so its not
really a personal thing)

So with that, it comes down to looks if the functionality is pretty much
equal. ATM K3B isn't using QT4 which would make it fit in with the GNOME
look of the rest of the apps.

K3B seems to be a better desktop choice but I'm not sure about Ubuntu
Studio. I'm honestly leaning to putting in Gnomebaker to help with a
consistent "look and feel".

-Cory m/

Old 12-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Hartmut Noack

Old 12-26-2007, 09:22 PM
"Cory K."

Hartmut Noack wrote:
> "Look and feel" is irrelevant, if there is more/better functionality.
> After all the usability of K3B is very good and it is the most advanced
> burner for Linux.
>
> To be perfectly honest: I fail to see the point in having a "everything
> looks the same"-environment. Especially in linux audio you *need* to
> have GTK-Apps like Ardour or Jamin mixed with QT-apps like Rosegarden
> and of course qjackctl. And there is nothing wrong about this.

"Look and feel" is *not* irrelevant. Try telling that to any
marketing/design firm.

Also, you must re-read what I said. For what Ubuntu Studio does I'm
failing to see what K3B does over other GNOME-based burning apps. So
with that, "look and feel" comes into play. If K3B was using QT4 it
wouldn't be a issue. Qjackctl now uses QT4 and Rosegarden is one of
those essential apps. K3B is not.

So unless someone can show how K3b is better for
_what_Ubuntu_Studio_does_ vs. a GNOME-based app I will consider
Gnomebaker or Brasero. As far as I see, K3B is better for the general
desktop user.

-Cory m/

Old 12-26-2007, 11:06 PM

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:22:58 -0500
"Cory K." <coryisatm@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Hartmut Noack wrote:
> > "Look and feel" is irrelevant, if there is more/better
> > functionality. After all the usability of K3B is very good and it
> > is the most advanced burner for Linux.
> >
> > To be perfectly honest: I fail to see the point in having a
> > "everything looks the same"-environment. Especially in linux audio
> > you *need* to have GTK-Apps like Ardour or Jamin mixed with QT-apps
> > like Rosegarden and of course qjackctl. And there is nothing wrong
> > about this.
>
> "Look and feel" is *not* irrelevant. Try telling that to any
> marketing/design firm.
>
> Also, you must re-read what I said. For what Ubuntu Studio does I'm
> failing to see what K3B does over other GNOME-based burning apps. So
> with that, "look and feel" comes into play. If K3B was using QT4 it
> wouldn't be a issue. Qjackctl now uses QT4 and Rosegarden is one of
> those essential apps. K3B is not.
>
> So unless someone can show how K3b is better for
> _what_Ubuntu_Studio_does_ vs. a GNOME-based app I will consider
> Gnomebaker or Brasero. As far as I see, K3B is better for the general
> desktop user.
>
> -Cory m/

As far as I see there are some other gtk applications as well, are you
aiming for that gstreamer based applications for a reason? I don't know
if gstreamer or cdrdao performs better, but in case the app should be
able to rip as well I'd opt for one that uses cdparanoia.

Regards,
Philipp

Old 12-26-2007, 11:40 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Wednesday 26 December 2007, Cory K. wrote:
> So unless someone can show how K3b is better for
> _what_Ubuntu_Studio_does_ vs. a GNOME-based app I will consider
> Gnomebaker or Brasero. As far as I see, K3B is better for the general
> desktop user.

Well, you don't get more obnoxiously pro-KDE/anti-GNOME than me, and I have to
say K3B has lost some ground in my eyes as far as being most suitable for
what Ubuntu Studio is supposed to do.

Case in point my video thread from hell. I never did get the stupid thing to
burn a DVD after hours of trying. (That or anything else either, and I
ultimately wound up using--puke--Windows.) If this GNOME thing can burn a
video DVD, use that. DVDs are definitely in the "Video" part of what Ubuntu
Studio purports to offer. What good is it to edit the damn stuff if I can't
put it on a DVD when I'm through?

I haven't had a Windows disappointment like that in many years.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 PM
"Cory K."

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 December 2007, Cory K. wrote:
>
>> So unless someone can show how K3b is better for
>> _what_Ubuntu_Studio_does_ vs. a GNOME-based app I will consider
>> Gnomebaker or Brasero. As far as I see, K3B is better for the general
>> desktop user.
>>

> Well, you don't get more obnoxiously pro-KDE/anti-GNOME than me, and I have to
> say K3B has lost some ground in my eyes as far as being most suitable for
> what Ubuntu Studio is supposed to do.
>
> Case in point my video thread from hell. I never did get the stupid thing to
> burn a DVD after hours of trying. (That or anything else either, and I
> ultimately wound up using--puke--Windows.) If this GNOME thing can burn a
> video DVD, use that. DVDs are definitely in the "Video" part of what Ubuntu
> Studio purports to offer. What good is it to edit the damn stuff if I can't
> put it on a DVD when I'm through?
>
> I haven't had a Windows disappointment like that in many years.

Hi Mike. I'd appreciate you testing Gnomebaker or Brasero to accomplish
your task.

Was it a simple VIDEO_TS folder kinda burn or a .iso?

-Cory m/

Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Wednesday 26 December 2007, Cory K. wrote:
> Hi Mike. I'd appreciate you testing Gnomebaker or Brasero to accomplish
> your task.

OK, I'll try to do that tomorrow.

> Was it a simple VIDEO_TS folder kinda burn or a .iso?

All I was trying to do was make a video DVD out of some .AVI files that came
from my digital camera. It was trivial to do on Windows (drag, drop, insert
blank DVD, wait,) but I wasted hours screwing around with various Linux
tools, including K3B, and I never got a DVD out.

I'm still not sure how I burned the original DVD. Did I use Windows for that
too? I don't think so, because it looked better than the more recent disc I
burned with Windows, but if I created it with Linux, whatever tool I used the
first time is broken now.

I wish I could be more precise. I understand the importance of precision. In
this case, however, I'm just a stupid luser who merely wants to accomplish
something without becoming an expert on yet another subject.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-27-2007, 02:48 AM
"Cory K."

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 December 2007, Cory K. wrote:
>
> I'm just a stupid luser who merely wants to accomplish
> something without becoming an expert on yet another subject.

Aren't we all.

-Cory m/

Old 12-27-2007, 04:31 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Wednesday 26 December 2007, Cory K. wrote:
> > I'm just a stupid luser who merely wants to accomplish
> > something without becoming an expert on yet another subject.
>
> Aren't we all.

No, not really. We're just insane masochistic freaks who are too stupid to
know when to give up.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-27-2007, 09:36 AM