Old 12-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Antonio Mancina

Default Chipset intel-hda (ICH8)

Hi all,

I've just bought a new laptop, there's a Realtek soundcard inside (intel high definition - ICH8).
This is the corresponding row in lspci output:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

I've tried to follow the instructions for my plain Ubuntu installation in Ubuntustudio to make it work, but with no results.
In particular, in K/Ubuntu, it's sufficient to install the linux-backports-modules-generic package and to add the following row

option intel-hda-sound model=toshiba

to the end of the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file. After a simple reboot, the sound works.

I've tried exactly the same thing in Ubuntustudio, with linux-backports-modules-2.6.22-14-rt in place of linux-backports-modules-generic but with no
success.

Has anyone managed to make this soundcard work in UbStudio?

Thanks all!
Bye,
--
Antonio

Old 12-27-2007, 12:41 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

I have a newer Intel HDA, embedded on my Motherboard. I think its ICH8.

It works, almost. I can get audio output, but it sounds horrible. Never really tried to get it to work, as I'm using a PCI card.

But it sounds like its skipping or something. Like I need to add some latency, buffer, or whatever: like the cpu can't keep up (it can). Just using the default install, no drivers, or other hacks.

christopherstamper@gmail.com

http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg