Old 12-24-2007, 10:57 AM
"alex stone"

Default updating a programme

This is going to seem like a really simple question, but when compiling and installing newer versions of programmes outside of the normal autobuild systems like synaptic, do i need to completely remove the older version first, or while the update install over the top? I've googled this, and there seems to be a bit of both ways on this one.

Not sure if this the right thing to do, but i'd also ask why so many of these programmes have predominately white exteriors. I have some degree of light sensitivity, and broad white backgrounds, tool backgrounds, etc.. tend to give me grief after a while (rosegarden , muse, etc...). I'm on the fairly generic ub setup, with gnome.

What can i do to change this? I'm no goth, lol, and don't want everything black or evil looking, but even a neutral cream or grey (gulp) would be more bearable.

Alex.