FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Studio User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Ulrich Grün
 
Default Speech recognition

Am Donnerstag, 3. Juli 2008 11:13:51 schrieb Steven Vollom:
> I was interested too when I first moved to Kubuntu. *I could not find
> any though. *I haven't tried Wine, the Windows emulator, but it may
> work. *I use Wine for a program called e-Sword and it works just the
> same if I were using Windows.

hmm, when I google for a program named 'e-Sword', I only get hits for some
bible learning programme. That sounds not like a speech recognition tool.

--
Greets,
Ulrich
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸ ,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

We'll never know wat the road before us looks like,
until we go . . .

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸ ,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
OS: Kubuntu 7.10 (Linux) Web: de.geocities.com/india_ulrich/
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 PM
David Fletcher
 
Default Speech recognition

At 12:44 03/07/2008, you wrote:

>hmm, when I google for a program named 'e-Sword', I only get hits for some
>bible learning programme. That sounds not like a speech recognition tool.

Confirmed.

Dave


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Speech recognition

2008/7/3 David Fletcher <kubuntu-users@thefletchers.net>:
> I suspect this is a long shot:-
>
> Does anybody know of any speech recognition software that can be used with
> Kubuntu?
>
> I have an acquaintance who has never owned a computer, but wants to use one to
> write a book. He can be nudged in the direction of using Kubuntu and LaTeX I
> think, but he says he's not got time to type it. He wants to dictate it
> directly into the text editor.
>
> Does anybody know of any applications that can do this please? I've tried all
> the search strings I can think of in the Adept installer, and Google has
> turned up nothing for me.
>

He wants a secretary, not a computer. Speech recognition is used for
sending preconfigured commands to the computer, not for dictating
arbitrary text. For instance, while your friend might dictate one
character discussing a new display with another character, the reader
might be surprised to see the characters discussing a nudist play.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-03-2008, 02:16 PM
"Geoffrey Bays"
 
Default Speech recognition

Dotan:

Check out this article in the NY Times from 2006 on Dragon's Naturally
Speaking 9. Around 99.4 % accuracy, and that was two years ago.


http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9806E5D6163FF933A15754C0A
9609C8B63&scp=1&sq=dragon%20nuance%209.0&st=cse

Yes, you can have a secretary in your PC, but we want a Kubuntu
version. That may not exist.
wine or win4lin may be the only way to do it.

At http://appdb.winehq.org/ you can check for how well windows apps
run on Wine.
Dragon Naturally speaking version 9 is rated a 'silver', meaning that
it runs very well with some configuration.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Bays

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/7/3 David Fletcher <kubuntu-users@thefletchers.net>:
>> I suspect this is a long shot:-
>>
>> Does anybody know of any speech recognition software that can be used with
>> Kubuntu?
>>
>> I have an acquaintance who has never owned a computer, but wants to use one to
>> write a book. He can be nudged in the direction of using Kubuntu and LaTeX I
>> think, but he says he's not got time to type it. He wants to dictate it
>> directly into the text editor.
>>
>> Does anybody know of any applications that can do this please? I've tried all
>> the search strings I can think of in the Adept installer, and Google has
>> turned up nothing for me.
>>
>
> He wants a secretary, not a computer. Speech recognition is used for
> sending preconfigured commands to the computer, not for dictating
> arbitrary text. For instance, while your friend might dictate one
> character discussing a new display with another character, the reader
> might be surprised to see the characters discussing a nudist play.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default Speech recognition

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/7/3 David Fletcher <kubuntu-users@thefletchers.net>:
>> I suspect this is a long shot:-
>>
>> Does anybody know of any speech recognition software that can be used
>> with Kubuntu?
>>
>> I have an acquaintance who has never owned a computer, but wants to use
>> one to write a book. He can be nudged in the direction of using Kubuntu
>> and LaTeX I think, but he says he's not got time to type it. He wants to
>> dictate it directly into the text editor.
>>
>> Does anybody know of any applications that can do this please? I've tried
>> all the search strings I can think of in the Adept installer, and Google
>> has turned up nothing for me.
>
> He wants a secretary, not a computer. Speech recognition is used for
> sending preconfigured commands to the computer, not for dictating
> arbitrary text.

With current state of the art, it _should_ be possible to dictate reasonably
arbitrary text, but I really can't see how anybody who can't take the time
to _write_ a book, will ever get a book written.

> For instance, while your friend might dictate one
> character discussing a new display with another character, the reader
> might be surprised to see the characters discussing a nudist play.

Right. Just like OCR, however accurate it is, you'll spend a lot of time
fixing the transcription errors.
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Speech recognition

David Fletcher wrote:
> At 12:44 03/07/2008, you wrote:
>
>
>> hmm, when I google for a program named 'e-Sword', I only get hits for some
>> bible learning programme. That sounds not like a speech recognition tool.
>>
>
> Confirmed.
>
> Dave
>
>
> I am sorry, I did not mean that e-Sword was a speech recognition tool. I just meant that it was a Windows program that worked fine on a Linux OS. I am sorry I did not make myself clear. I don't know of any Speech Recognition tools for Kubuntu. I wish I did, I enjoyed the feature. It is fast and sure. e-Sword was a difficult program to get working in Linux, at least for me, however once entered properly it works perfect. I guess what I was trying to say was that perhaps Dragon Naturally Speaking or similar would work using Wine, the Windows emulator for Linux.
Steven


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Lisi Reisz
 
Default Speech recognition

On Thursday 03 July 2008 16:07:51 Steven Vollom wrote:
> I am sorry I did not make myself clear.

I thought you did. :-)

Lisi

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-03-2008, 06:44 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Speech recognition

2008/7/3 Geoffrey Bays <charioteer7@gmail.com>:
> Yes, you can have a secretary in your PC, but we want a Kubuntu
> version. That may not exist.
> wine or win4lin may be the only way to do it.
>
> At http://appdb.winehq.org/ you can check for how well windows apps
> run on Wine.
> Dragon Naturally speaking version 9 is rated a 'silver', meaning that
> it runs very well with some configuration.
>

Here, write to them:
http://support.nuance.com/customerservice/

If we don't ask for Linux software, then they will never write it. We
need to be a visible minority. Note that to write to them requires
registration, but it's actually rather painless compared to most other
sites.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
David Fletcher
 
Default Speech recognition

On Thursday 03 Jul 2008, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 00:25 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
> >
> >> I suspect this is a long shot:-
> >>
> >> Does anybody know of any speech recognition software that can be used
> >> with Kubuntu?
> >>
>
> I don't know much more than the description, but if you open Adept and
> search for "speech" it will bring up three possibilities, as well as a
> lot of other stuff. Speex, sphinx, and transcriber. Don't know if they
> will do what you want but take a look.
>

I've looked at the suggestions, and drawn a complete blank. Unfortunately I
don't think there is such an application.

If lack of speech input is a "show stopper" for my friend, there will probably
be no alternative to running the dreaded Vista with dictation software.
Whether it, whatever it is, works with anything other than Office is also an
unknown.

Dave



--

Registered Linux user number 393408
--
Registered Linux user number 393408

I use and recommend the email service at 1 & 1
For domain registration, email and web hosting please visit:
http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Speech recognition

David Fletcher wrote:
> On Thursday 03 Jul 2008, Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>>> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 00:25 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> I suspect this is a long shot:-
>>>>
>>>> Does anybody know of any speech recognition software that can be used
>>>> with Kubuntu?
>>>>
>>>>
>> I don't know much more than the description, but if you open Adept and
>> search for "speech" it will bring up three possibilities, as well as a
>> lot of other stuff. Speex, sphinx, and transcriber. Don't know if they
>> will do what you want but take a look.
>>
>>
>
> I've looked at the suggestions, and drawn a complete blank. Unfortunately I
> don't think there is such an application.
>
> If lack of speech input is a "show stopper" for my friend, there will probably
> be no alternative to running the dreaded Vista with dictation software.
> Whether it, whatever it is, works with anything other than Office is also an
> unknown.
>
> Dave
>
>
>
>
I read another response in this forum and it was suggested that Dragon
Naturally Speaking 9 works good in Wine, the Windows emulator. I
haven't as yet tried it, but I am going to. I used to use Naturally
Speaking for all my word processing. It works super. The programs that
I use using Wine work the same as they do on Microsoft OS's.

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:11 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org