Old 12-23-2007, 04:06 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

Default Mscore from source

On Saturday 22 December 2007, Paul DeShaw wrote:
> I look forward to this
> walk-through, and will probably install it myself just for the practice (or
> 'practise', if you prefer). I'm still a little nervous about compiling and
> installing from source.

Well, as it happens, the Hardy .deb seems to install just fine on Gutsy, so it
seems nobody needs to build this from source.

$ dpkg -l|grep mscore
ii mscore 0.7.0.1-0ubuntu1
Full featured WYSIWYG score editor
$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 7.10
Codename: gutsy

I refer again to:

https://launchpad.net/~tsmithe/+archive

Though your mileage may vary, and you should always listen to the local
experts, and realize that I'm not an expert when it comes to Ubuntu stuff.
I'm just another plain ol' user who happens to be using Ubuntu Studio as my
personal development platform for Rosegarden; where I really haven't been
developing anything lately anyway. Mostly I'm just a fat windbag who likes
to sound important here in cyberspace, because everybody in real life ignores
me for the hopeless dweeb I am.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Susan Cragin

OK, all instructions to compile from source will be on the list. I am entirely confident of being able to install it.

BTW -- I'm a linux enthusiast, not a musician. I use Studio because I run Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 speech recognition software on WINE, and I like the RT kernel and the sound tweaks.
I've upgraded to Hardy Heron already, but there shouldn't be a problem. I assume most of you have Gutsy.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:08 PM
"alex stone"

Susan, success.
I have been trying constantly today to figure this out, and with some help from the developer, have managed to finally install this, without problems. (There are quite a few dev files i didn't have installed, that once in place reduced the error count considerably.)

I am much relieved, enthused, and determined, to finally be using the programme again, instead of staring at the digital debris. (and it was easy once everything was in place, so it should be no problem at all for you.)

I thank you for the offer of assistance, and trust that you will accept my appreciation for being willing to step forward and help a new linux user. I can appreciate that many of you here and elsewhere will hear the same thing over and over again, and it must get fairly frustrating. I will research this further, and try to understand why things went together the way they finally did. Sometimes, it's knowing which question to ask in the first place...!

Regards and the best of wishes for the festive season to you and all here.

Alex Stone.

On Dec 23, 2007 4:49 PM, Susan Cragin <susancragin@earthlink.net

Old 01-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Toby Smithe

On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 00:06 -0500, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Well, as it happens, the Hardy .deb seems to install just fine on Gutsy, so it
> seems nobody needs to build this from source.

I wouldn't recommend it, and it's certainly not supported (ABI
compatibility, etc), but if it works for you...

(Personally, I find a dpkg-buildpackage run quite simple.)

<snip>

> $ dpkg -l|grep mscore
> ii mscore 0.7.0.1-0ubuntu1

<snip>

> https://launchpad.net/~tsmithe/+archive

<snip>

That archive is now out-of-date, and there will shortly be a version 0.8
package available in the Ubuntu Hardy universe repository.