Old 12-22-2007, 12:15 PM
"alex stone"

Default a programme addition request

Hello all,
Im Alex, and very new to linux, ubuntustudio, and mailing lists in general, so if i breach any protocol, please let me know.

Ive been using ubs for about a month and a half, and after finding (stumbling, falling, lurching, pick one...) my way through the install, and installation of extra packages, everything is running smoothly at last. Im a full time writer and composer of mainly classical and film/doc/ad music, so getting all this working smoothly is of some importance. And with further tweaks to the system, im enjoying a stability, speed, smoothness, and relability that id never expected to get with more commercially inclined oss. (Win, Mac, etc...) Its a singularly rewarding feeling to use a complete solution geared specifically for audio/video use, and my thanks and appreciation go to the ubuntustudio devs for their efforts. Thanks chaps! Long may this distro reign and mature....

In the process of setting up a working environment, ive been trying more than one notation editor programme or component. Those included in other programmes, like rosegarden are functional, but lack a couple of bits here and there related to an intuitive workflow. Noteedit does fairly well, and the evolution of that, Canorus, seems to be making headway as well.

I have another, that i ask the ubuntustudio team to consider for inclusion.

Mscore, or musescore.* (by Werner Schweer, the developer of Muse.)

This programme, even in its juvenile state, is already usuable, and seems to hold much promise for a notation solution for chaps like me who write notes for a living, but need the import/export/ channeling components to feed into a performance end result. (and im currently doing this with Reaper, in Wine.)

Is there a programme submission list or a procedure i need to follow to have this considered?

As im very new at linux the deb building from source process is still beyond me, so to access a deb of this programme from the usual repositories would be a welcome bonus.

Regards to all in this festive season,

Alex Stone.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:53 PM
thomas fisher

On Saturday 22 December 2007 06:15:34 alex stone wrote:
> Hello all,
> Im Alex, and very new to linux, ubuntustudio, and mailing lists in
> general, so if i breach any protocol, please let me know.
>
> Ive been using ubs for about a month and a half, and after finding
> (stumbling, falling, lurching, pick one...) my way through the install, and
> installation of extra packages, everything is running smoothly at last. Im
> a full time writer and composer of mainly classical and film/doc/ad music,
> so getting all this working smoothly is of some importance. And with
> further tweaks to the system, im enjoying a stability, speed, smoothness,
> and relability that id never expected to get with more commercially
> inclined oss. (Win, Mac, etc...) Its a singularly rewarding feeling to
> use a complete solution geared specifically for audio/video use, and my
> thanks and appreciation go to the ubuntustudio devs for their efforts.
> Thanks chaps! Long may this distro reign and mature....
>
> In the process of setting up a working environment, ive been trying more
> than one notation editor programme or component. Those included in other
> programmes, like rosegarden are functional, but lack a couple of bits here
> and there related to an intuitive workflow. Noteedit does fairly well, and
> the evolution of that, Canorus, seems to be making headway as well.
> I have another, that i ask the ubuntustudio team to consider for inclusion.
>
> Mscore, or musescore. (by Werner Schweer, the developer of Muse.)
>
> This programme, even in its juvenile state, is already usuable, and seems
> to hold much promise for a notation solution for chaps like me who write
> notes for a living, but need the import/export/ channeling components to
> feed into a performance end result. (and im currently doing this with
> Reaper, in Wine.)
>
> Is there a programme submission list or a procedure i need to follow to
> have this considered?
>
> As im very new at linux the deb building from source process is still
> beyond me, so to access a deb of this programme from the usual repositories
> would be a welcome bonus.
>
> Regards to all in this festive season,
>
> Alex Stone.
Alex

Please check out the Linux Audio Users { LAU } forum. Many of the audio
developers, teachers, musicians, tinkerers {myself} are there. Active,
friendly energy. The searchable archive is a rich resource.

http://lad.linuxaudio.org/archive/lau.html
Tom

Old 12-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Susan Cragin

Hi, Alex.
I'm off to relatives for a few days, but e-mail me back next Thursday or so and I will walk (via email) you through the installation from source. It's not hard, and it looks like a great program.
Susan Cragin

Old 12-22-2007, 08:42 PM
"alex stone"

Susan, thanks for replying, and the help would be much appreciated. I think the programme is worth pursuing.

Regards,

Alex.

On Dec 23, 2007 12:27 AM, Susan Cragin <

Old 12-22-2007, 10:16 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 22 December 2007, alex stone wrote:

> Mscore, or musescore. (by Werner Schweer, the developer of Muse.)
[...]
> Is there a programme submission list or a procedure i need to follow to
> have this considered?

I brought mScore to their attention myself around a month ago, and Toby Smithe
announced that he had begun to work on packaging.

He told me to watch this spot, so to speak:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/tsmithe/ubuntu
https://launchpad.net/~tsmithe/+archive

It looks like packages exist for Hardy:

Index of /tsmithe/ubuntu/pool/main/m/mscore
[DIR] Parent Directory -
[ ] mscore_0.7.0.1-0ubuntu1.diff.gz 02-Dec-2007 17:00 4.8K
[ ] mscore_0.7.0.1-0ubuntu1.dsc 02-Dec-2007 17:00 723
[ ] mscore_0.7.0.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb 02-Dec-2007 18:20 1.1M
[ ] mscore_0.7.0.1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb 02-Dec-2007 18:20 1.1M
[ ] mscore_0.7.0.1-0ubuntu1_lpia.deb 02-Dec-2007 18:20 1.1M
[ ] mscore_0.7.0.1.orig.tar.gz 02-Dec-2007 17:00 7.6M

I have no idea how the process works getting them out of his PPA (Personal
Package Archive) and into the main Ubuntu archives. Maybe someone familiar
with Ubuntu development can offer some more information there.

Anyway, it's surely an encouraging sign for making it easier for Ubuntu Studio
users to get their hands on this application conveniently.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-22-2007, 10:32 PM
"Edward Dunagin"

Hello Alex,

Try this:

sudo apt-get install muse

then you will be asked for a password, so put in your own password and
it will automatically download. It will recommend others to you and
suggest more. Use the same command as above, but put in the
application that you want.

I hope this helps................ed

Edward Dunagin-Dunigan-Dunnigan
4646 Glenwood Drive
Bozeman, MT 59718
mobile 406-570-0992
Landline 406-556-7282
http://doas.montanalinux.org

Old 12-22-2007, 10:36 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 22 December 2007, Edward Dunagin wrote:
> sudo apt-get install muse

mScore is an offshoot of MuSE, but it's a completely different application.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-23-2007, 09:53 AM
"alex stone"

Correct D.
Werner separated notation from Muse, and is developing it as a standalone programme.
I've just noticed this morning, after reading Edwards's post that Toby Smithe has been working on this at version
0.7.0. The current release is 0.8.0, and quite considerable further along the road. Is this the normal pattern of events for programme inclusion?

Susan, in a fit of bravado, I tried to compile 0.8.0 last night, and got plenty of errors, all pretty well related to a cmake problem. I'm not smart enough with linux yet to understand why i would get an error stating a programme i have installed, isn't installed. (?)

If any of you have the time and knowledge to check out why this breaks, i would appreciate it. I'm only a notation editor and a few midi ports away from dumping Win and going pure linux, and in terms of printout and usability in my particular workflow, mscore gets the closest.

Regards to you all for the festive season, and i wish you prosperity, success, and much enjoyment in the year to come..

Alex.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:42 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 23 December 2007, alex stone wrote:

> I've just noticed this morning, after reading Edwards's post that Toby
> Smithe has been working on this at version 0.7.0. The current release is
> 0.8.0, and quite considerable further along the road. Is this the normal
> pattern of events for programme inclusion?

0.8.0 must have just come out. It did; on the 19th of December. The packages
were made on the 2nd of December, and 0.7.0 was the latest available release
at that time.

I'm sure it will all get caught up eventually. It's the nature of this entire
development model, where everybody is on a different schedule. New distro
releases ship with old versions of Rosegarden very frequently, for example.
There's not much to be done about it. Even when we (Rosegarden) actively try
to coordinate our own release with that of some distro, it never works out
well.

Just the nature of the game, I'm afraid.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Bharani Prasanth Sure

Mscore is real sow and less friendly...skipping b/w pages is darn tough...I feel. anybody has any Idea to speed it up..

Best Regards,Bharani Prasanth Sure.