Old 12-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Default Checkinstall is your friend

Checkinstall is really your friend, use it.

I just used to say at the end of building "sudo make install", now I say
"sudo checkinstall". I love it.

Latest stable Gimp from *.tar.gz source:
[--]

Building Debian package...OK

Installing Debian package...OK

Erasing temporary files...OK

Writing backup package...OK

Deleting temp dir...OK

Done. The new package has been installed and saved to

/home/asmok/Bin/gimp-2.4.3/gimp_2.4.3-1_i386.deb

You can remove it from your system anytime using:

dpkg -r gimp

asmok@ubuntu:~/Bin/gimp-2.4.3$

Another thing - Ubuntu is based on Debian, so you have all
dev-libraries you ever need. Maybe Gentoo have some more by it's nature,
I do not know.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:
> /home/asmok/Bin/gimp-2.4.3/gimp_2.4.3-1_i386.deb

I removed old/default Gimp, but then I did have this error message:

asmok@ubuntu:~$ gimp
gimp: error while loading shared libraries: libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0:
asmok@ubuntu:~$ sudo /sbin/ldconfig
asmok@ubuntu:~$ gimp

I did have to run "sudo /sbin/ldconfig", then new Gimp started.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:31 PM
thomas fisher

On Friday 21 December 2007 07:00:19 Asmo Koskinen wrote:
> Checkinstall is really your friend, use it.
>
> I just used to say at the end of building "sudo make install", now I say
> "sudo checkinstall". I love it.
>
> Latest stable Gimp from *.tar.gz source:
> [--]
>
> Building Debian package...OK
>
> Installing Debian package...OK
>
> Erasing temporary files...OK
>
> Writing backup package...OK
>
> Deleting temp dir...OK
>

> ************************************************** ********************
>
> Done. The new package has been installed and saved to
>
> /home/asmok/Bin/gimp-2.4.3/gimp_2.4.3-1_i386.deb
>
> You can remove it from your system anytime using:
>
> dpkg -r gimp
>
> ************************************************** ********************

> Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.
Thanks Asmo
I did a "apropos", "man", "locate" on checkinstall with a null response.
Do you have a pointer to a knowledge base?
Thanks
Tom

Old 12-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Asmo Koskinen

thomas fisher kirjoitti:
> I did a "apropos", "man", "locate" on checkinstall with a null response.
> Do you have a pointer to a knowledge base?

It is in universe for Ubuntu 7.10.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/admin/checkinstall

Just add/open universe repository and install it.

asmok@ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep universe
deb http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
deb-src http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe
deb http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
deb-src http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe
deb http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
deb-src http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports main
restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-security universe
asmok@ubuntu:~$

After added repository do update and then upgrade before installation.

Use your local/country repository like me - fi for Finland.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Luke Yelavich

Old 12-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Luke Yelavich kirjoitti:
> As a packager for ubuntu, I would advise against using checkinstall, as it doesn't tend to honour a few things that need to be done when building debs.

Me and my big mouth. Listen to him. It is truth that you are asking for
troubles when you are installing something from outside of Ubuntu
repositories for Ubuntu Studio/Ubuntu 7.10.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:15 AM
Asmo Koskinen

Luke Yelavich kirjoitti:
> As it is, the latest gimp has been uploaded to gutsy and should be available shortly.

How about Kino? Do we have to wait for 8.04?

Latest one - 1.2 - has finally localized gui - finnish.

" * Added Finnish translation by Antti Sokero"

http://www.gnomefiles.org/version.php?soft_id=213

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Asmo Koskinen

Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:
> How about Kino? Do we have to wait for 8.04?
> Latest one - 1.2 - has finally localized gui - finnish.

Maybe, maybe not?

"kino (1.1.1-1ubuntu1)"

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/graphics/kino

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.