Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 PM
"Cory K."

Default Asus Eee

holotone@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm considering getting an Asus Eee,
> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000Y33CVM/ref=ord_cart_shr?%255Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DE R&v=glance>
> particularly for any interesting musical applications it may have.
> What would you use a hand-sized laptop with a 7" LCD, 900mhz proc and
> 512MB RAM for?

Email. Web. Writing.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Mark Stuart Burge

PIM

Data recovery or router administration tool (for field service)

In flight entertainment (dvd, games, etc)

International Incident Rescue tool (for Jack Bauer - although he
manages to save the usa with a pda phone at the moment) - Must have a
dark desktop theme.

as for musical -

remote mixer control for dialing in a mix while on stage

midi sequencer* - using usb to external midi interface

guitar tuner

background music for live pa setups (i don't like ipods)

reserve effects unit

stage lighting control for small bands (using usb to dmx interface)

holotone@gmail.com wrote:
I'm considering getting an Asus
Eee, particularly for any interesting musical applications it may
have. What would you use a hand-sized laptop with a 7" LCD, 900mhz proc
and 512MB RAM for? There are 3 USB inputs, so there are alot of

Old 12-15-2007, 10:36 PM
'2+

am wondering if a simple
python+csound thangs are available @ it's terminal
xandros seems to be debian based
but the question is whether we could really apt-get many thangs or not

i'd rather install a X-less-CUI-Slackware to it if possible
is the disk partition custumizing available via fdisk?

my another thought is to keep the os as is far happy ordianary thangs
in net-life
but keeping a bootable USB-PEN to boot @ Eee and other small machines..
maybe p:d?
if Slack@CUI is available ... again that's nicer .. then custumized SLAX?

On 12/16/07, Cory K. <coryisatm@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> holotone@gmail.com wrote:
> > I'm considering getting an Asus Eee,
> > <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000Y33CVM/ref=ord_cart_shr?%255Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DE R&v=glance>
> > particularly for any interesting musical applications it may have.
> > What would you use a hand-sized laptop with a 7" LCD, 900mhz proc and
> > 512MB RAM for?
>
> Email. Web. Writing.
>
> > There are 3 USB inputs, so there are alot of different directions to
> > go with this...
> >
> > --
> > ~cole
> > http://holotone.net/

'2+
http://micro.ispretty.com

Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 PM
"holotone@gmail.com"

Someone's already gone and customized Xubuntu to run fairly flawlessly on it:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/13/eeexubuntu-ubuntu-distilled-for-your-eee/

~h