Old 12-15-2007, 02:44 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

Default The mystical world of video...

I googled, I pissed away four hours, and I still don't have all my little .avi
files from my digital camera burnt onto a DVD+R to toss around as cheap
presents for relatives. Though I did sit here for hours and hours and hours
while various things slowly crept toward 100% of the way through converting
my videos to their local format, only to take a crap on themselves before I
could actually accomplish anything.

This is obviously not going to yield to the clueless random luser walking in
with absolutely no video experience. So where do I start? I've never used
anything in the Windows realm either. I'm a delicate virgin, so be gentle!

I have a pile of .avi files. I've given up on trying to actually edit them.
I would settle for burning a DVD that says what each thing roughly is.
Like "PLAY THIS THINGIE FOR THE JITTERY HAND-HELD CAPTURE OF THE FIRST
SELECTION FROM THE SPRING CONCERT 2006."

I actually burned a DVD, with a little title thingie and everything, but damn
if I can figure out how I did it. Did I use Windows? I think I must have,
sorry to admit.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-15-2007, 04:28 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Friday 14 December 2007, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> This is obviously not going to yield to the clueless random luser walking
> in with absolutely no video experience. So where do I start? I've never
> used anything in the Windows realm either. I'm a delicate virgin, so be
> gentle!

OK, actually I had, and that's what I wound up using again this time. I hate
to admit it, but Windows wins this round for allowing the clueless person the
means to drag some files to something obvious and burn a working DVD.

I'm hoping that now that I have it, I can re-rip it and maybe I'll have better
luck now that the video is in the right format.

But that doesn't seem to be true.

I guess this is another "Any MIDI apps for Linux that don't suck" thread,
because all I see here so far is a bunch of frustrating crap that has me glad
for the first time since 2001 that I had a copy of Windows.

Tragic.

Oh well. Thanks for all the timely guidance everybody. (That was sarcasm.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-15-2007, 04:37 PM
"Luis de Bethencourt"

On Dec 15, 2007 6:28 PM, D. Michael McIntyre
<michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> On Friday 14 December 2007, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>
> > This is obviously not going to yield to the clueless random luser walking
> > in with absolutely no video experience. So where do I start? I've never
> > used anything in the Windows realm either. I'm a delicate virgin, so be
> > gentle!

Have you tried to use K3B?

Luis

> OK, actually I had, and that's what I wound up using again this time. I hate
> to admit it, but Windows wins this round for allowing the clueless person the
> means to drag some files to something obvious and burn a working DVD.
>
> I'm hoping that now that I have it, I can re-rip it and maybe I'll have better
> luck now that the video is in the right format.
>
> But that doesn't seem to be true.
>
> I guess this is another "Any MIDI apps for Linux that don't suck" thread,
> because all I see here so far is a bunch of frustrating crap that has me glad
> for the first time since 2001 that I had a copy of Windows.
>
> Tragic.
>
> Oh well. Thanks for all the timely guidance everybody. (That was sarcasm.)
>
> --
> D. Michael McIntyre

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerį
luisbg
<luisbg@ubuntu.com>
GPG: B0ED1326

Old 12-15-2007, 05:52 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 15 December 2007, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> Have you tried to use K3B?

I tried that first. If there's a way to take *.avi and burn a video DVD with
K3B, it sure isn't obvious. Start new Video DVD Project, and you wind up
with a drop window that has mysterious subdirectories AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
in it. No idea WTF that's all about.

Same thing happens if I try to rip the DVD I successfully burned with Windows.
K3B shows a /tmp directory with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS subdirectories, but the
light on the drive never flickers, and it doesn't do anything.

I also tried KMediaFactory, which looked encouraging, but proved discouraging.
It crashed a lot, wasted a lot of disk space with incomplete conversions to a
different format, and never got to the golden prize at the end, and Kino,
with different crashes and different intermediary file formats, but the same
dismal results. I ate up several gigabytes on useless metafiles associated
with crashed applications that never actually even started to produce
anything usable.

I've been looking for the Ubuntu Studio page that says "Ubuntu Studio is all
about video. Whip out Mystery App or Other Super Better Mystery App and
click click click your way to bliss with our fantastic tools!!!" but I'm just
not finding anything at all, except the empty skeleton on the wiki.

Of course it's true that I'm stubbornly using Kubuntu Studio. Maybe I'm
missing the obvious THE COOL VIDEO TOOLS THAT WORK ARE OVER HERE STUPID -->
because I'm not using GNOME.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-16-2007, 01:23 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

Looks like QDVDAuthor is the closest to what I'm looking for. More or less.
At least it looks somewhat promising.

Of course it literally crashes every third operation I try to perform.

This stuff looks like where Rosegarden was when I got there back in 2001.
Tantalizing, encouraging, but woefully useless; rather like a rubber candy
bar.

Problem is MIDI hasn't changed much in years, but DVDs are already on the way
out, and our tools don't seem likely to be keeping up with the next
generation stuff when they can't even handle the old generation stuff without
soiling themselves constantly.

After a couple hours of endless crashes, I seem to be on the verge of actually
producing something with QDVDAuthor. Who knows. Maybe it will finally work,
and I will quit whining and go do something else.

Like start the wiki page with my findings, in the hopes that some expert will
come along and point out everything I got wrong and/or maligned due to having
an unusually bad first taste.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-16-2007, 03:27 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 15 December 2007, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> Looks like QDVDAuthor is the closest to what I'm looking for. More or
> less. At least it looks somewhat promising.

Well, it spent like five hours running my box at a load average of 3.0 or
more, and it did produce a directory full of stuff, but it seems like more
than half of what I was trying to get here is missing, and I still can't
figure out any way to burn the @#%@#^@#^@#^ thing to a @#%@#%@^@^@#^ DVD.

K3B puked because "some files seem to be missing" or something. Yeah, like
the other 2/3 of what I was trying to get here.

Makes me think unless I'm missing the train in a major way, maybe Ubuntu
Studio better think twice about promoting the whole video aspect of things.
Looks like this is about as useful for video twiddling for the average dumb
kid luser as a bucket full of rusty tacks.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-16-2007, 04:06 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 15 December 2007, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> Looks like this is about as useful for video twiddling for the average dumb
> kid luser as a bucket full of rusty tacks.

Grumble grumble grumble, bitch bitch bitch. I so totally hate my best friend
Linux right now.

I swear even as big of a pain in the ass as it is for regular stupid lusers to
get Rosegarden to make some noise out of the box, I don't think there is any
comparison between that and this.

I give DVD authoring on Linux a "Go Back To Windows Before You Hurt Yourself"
award.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-16-2007, 04:13 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 16 December 2007, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> I give DVD authoring on Linux a "Go Back To Windows Before You Hurt
> Yourself" award.

OTOH, to look at the bright side...

Even though I'm probably pissing in the wind trying to make this stupid
useless junk work again, I do have to give Ubuntu Studio a "Even Though DVD
Authoring is Hopeless At Least Your Computer Is Still Usable While You Are
Pissing In The Wind" award too.

I'm typing in KMail. It's not that responsive, but I'm burning 150% of my CPU
cycles on some DVD converting making doodadaflungles, and just for shits and
giggles, I started playing the composition I'm working on in Rosegarden.

I'll be damned. I've got ZynAddSubFX playing about six different patches,
plus Rosegarden reproducing several audio segments, and it's actually playing
without any glitches or xruns.

I'm impressed. The stupid Windows laptop might have burned the DVD with two
clicks, and produced something that actually worked, but it was completely
useless for 10 hours or so while it churned. At least I can do my regular
thing while I piss away another futile attempt at burning this stupid DVD.

The composition just finished playing while I was typing. No glitches.
That's amazing.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-16-2007, 03:48 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Sunday 16 December 2007, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> On Sunday 16 December 2007, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> > I give DVD authoring on Linux a "Go Back To Windows Before You Hurt
> > Yourself" award.
>
> OTOH, to look at the bright side...

But back to the dark side, I let the thing churn again overnight, and I still
can't get a DVD out of this.

A weekend pissed away for nothing, it seems.

Huzzah.

OK, I'm shutting up now. Move along. This thread is closed.
--
D. Michael McIntyre