Old 12-13-2007, 05:47 PM
RoLo

Default Sound Blaster Live 5.1 stops working.

Hello. I just notice that my card stops working. I have a Sound Blaster
Live 5.1.
I have tested the next way so I think that the card is still correctly
installed, so I guess the problem is somewhere I don't know.

rolodoom@rolinux:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Live ]: EMU10K1 - SB Live [Unknown]
SB Live [Unknown] (rev.10, serial:0x80671102) at
0x1000, irq 21

Then I tested with the next command and actually get sound, but only
from console, when I open totem, audacity, etc, there is no sound. Jack
also stops working.

rolodoom@rolinux:~$ speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 -twav

speaker-test 1.0.14

Playback device is plug:surround51
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
WAV file(s)
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 16 to 16384
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
0 - Front Left
4 - Center
1 - Front Right
3 - Rear Right
2 - Rear Left

Where is the problem??

Old 12-13-2007, 06:07 PM
"Jonathan Leonard"

[...]

That is not a high priority IRQ.* However, the problem is probably that you have not set the indices in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

The pattern on this list of people complaining about device switching tends to come from an incorrectly configured alsa-base.* You need to make the SB the default index 0 card on the system and then set some defaults in System/Preferences/Sound.* If other devices contend, then you need to hardcode their index or make sure they never connect.

Hope this helps though you have probably done this,

jonathan adams leonard

Old 12-14-2007, 12:53 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Thursday 13 December 2007, Jonathan Leonard wrote:
> That is not a high priority IRQ. However, the problem is probably that you
> have not set the indices in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
>
> The pattern on this list of people complaining about device switching tends
> to come from an incorrectly configured alsa-base. You need to make the
> SB....

Where's TFM for this so I can RTFM about how to hack this file? I don't see
any syntax examples, and a quick google didn't turn up anything remotely
encouraging looking.
--
D. Michael McIntyre