Old 10-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Sean Darby

Default Selecting Hardware for Music Production

Hello,

I recently emailed this list regarding building my computer for "1/2
gaming" and "1/2 music production"... it fizzled out pretty quick, I am
assuming due to the nature of some of the off-topic responses. In any
case, I would like to give this another go only I will focus this
subject specifically within the realm of what Studio users could
(hopefully) help with.

What would be some good internal and external hardware/devices to use
with a make-shift/budget home recording studio?

Thank you,

Sean Darby

Old 10-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Sean Darby

I heard the Emu 1616M is a good choice, though it's also $450. It
includes an internal sound card for the computer and an external device
for connecting instruments/mics/etc.

I'm also interested in getting a mixer to go along with this.

As an alternative for an internal sound card, I came across this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

...though I am unaware of the value in that, and if I am getting a mixer
perhaps I should get something similar to the Emu 1616 regardless.

Does anybody know if there is a more affordable alternative to the Emu
1616M?

Here's a Yamaha small mixer that might go well with my computer:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMG102C

...unless there are better alternatives?

Here's the Emu 1616M:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU1616MPCI

After I decide on computer hardware and mixer, I will get a mic,
possibly a Shure SM57...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUSM57LC

Thank you in advance for any input.

Sean Darby

Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Sean Darby

Addendum-

I will also be using 5.1 speakers for general computer use (next year
I'll get monitor speakers dedicated to music production). The
motherboard I'm getting has 8 audio channels, which I believe will
support the use of 5.1, though that's just hardware, I'm unaware of
compatibility between devices and various operating systems, aka Studio.

I don't think I'll need an extra sound card for the 5.1 speakers if I
have something similar to the Emu 1616 and the integrated card on the
mainboard, though thought I'd check in here just in case.

Otherwise, the 5.1 speakers are generic use, a headset mostly for
gaming, and a special internal sound card, external sound device, and
mixer for the purpose of producing music.

Thank you!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Sean Edwards

Here*is my budget Digital Audio Studio:

Piece-meal Desktop PC with the following:

19" Monitor*- Intercepted en route to dumpster
1.5Ghz AMD (Sempron?) processor and motherboard - Intercepted en route to dumpster
Imbedded On-board AC'97 sound card
2GB RAM - Intercepted en route to dumpster
Creative Labs USB Sound*Blaster - New $65US
(3) PCI Sound Blaster (audio playback, midi in and midi out) - 5 for $10US and $5US S+H*on eBay
Behringer UCB102 Guitar to USB interface - New $35US
Behringer UA202 USB to line-in/line out - New $35US
Ubuntu Studio

Mac desktop with the following:

Mac G3 Blue and White - Intercepted en route to dumpster
17" Monitor - Intercepted en route to dumpster
Mac USB Keyboard and Mouse - Intercepted en route to dumpster
2GB RAM - Intercepted en route to dumpster
Debian Linux

-=Sean Edwards=-

-----*From Original Message ----
From: Sean Darby <sean@seandarby.com>
Subject: Selecting Hardware for Music Production

Old 10-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Matthew Polashek

Sean Darby wrote:
> I heard the Emu 1616M is a good choice, though it's also $450. It
> includes an internal sound card for the computer and an external device
> for connecting instruments/mics/etc.
>
> I'm also interested in getting a mixer to go along with this.
>
> As an alternative for an internal sound card, I came across this:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

This is an interesting option, especially if you had an external A/D
converter.

> ...though I am unaware of the value in that, and if I am getting a mixer
> perhaps I should get something similar to the Emu 1616 regardless.
>
> Does anybody know if there is a more affordable alternative to the Emu
> 1616M?
>
> Here's a Yamaha small mixer that might go well with my computer:
>
> http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMG102C
>
> ...unless there are better alternatives?
>
> Here's the Emu 1616M:
>
> http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU1616MPCI

I like this better.

> After I decide on computer hardware and mixer, I will get a mic,
> possibly a Shure SM57...
>
> http://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUSM57LC

Might I suggest the Audio Technica AT2020? I have 3 of these and they
surprisingly excellent given their price!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 10-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Karlheinz Noise

> What would be some good internal and external hardware/devices to use
> with a make-shift/budget home recording studio?

One other option to consider: Many mixers nowadays have USB audio built into them. Several of the Behringers do this, and there are a couple of flavors of Alesis MultiMix mixers also.

If you can up your budget a little bit, Allen and Heath have a nice mixer for around $400 that has USB audio:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--AAHZED14

I do not own any of these however, and I can't tell you how easy these are to set up under UbuStu. I know at least one person on this list has one of the Alesis mixers - care to chime in?

-Karlheinz

Old 10-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Sean Darby

That's an interesting combination of gear.

I wasn't sure if this would be effective though maybe some others on
this list might know:

Audio device that includes internal sound card + external interface.
Mixer/microphones.

Hook up the mics, go into the mixer, hook the mixer into the external
sound device, which hooks up to the (internal) sound card on the
computer, load the music apps (like in ubustu or 64studio), and go at
it.

Is that an effective way to do it?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Sean Darby

That's an interesting mixer, I've never heard of "Allen and Heath". I'm
looking for either Yamaha or Mackie, probably not Alesis. Hopefully
there is a fairly small board with a good price tag, appropriate for a
small home recording studio. I found a Yamaha for ~$100, though am
willing to go a little higher if necessary, though would like to keep it
pretty low (in the 100 range) if it is possible.

Does anybody know of a decent, probably small, Yamaha or Mackie mixer
(that connects to computers) that is close to the $100 price tag?

If there is a board that can either USB or firewire into the computer,
then would I still need something like the EMU 1616M?

Is there a less expensive variation of the EMU 1616M available?

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Matthew Polashek

Sean-

What are your goals? what kind of product are you after?

Matt