Old 11-21-2007, 01:37 AM
"Cory K."

Default Automatic launching of programs for removable media/connected devices.

Luke Yelavich wrote:
> Greetings all.
> One of the things we are doing for the UbuntuStudio Hardy release is
> making some changes to the desktop layout, and behavior. One of the
> things we are pondering changing, is what happens when you insert a
> disk, whether it be blank or containing data, and what happens when
> you connect removable devices, such as cameras etc. To get an idea of
> the options we are considering changing, open the system menu, go to
> preferences, and choose "Removable Drives and Media".
>
> One change we would really like to make, is when removable drives or
> disks are inserted, they will only appear on the desktop, and a
> nautilus window will not open. We are also considering disabling all
> the automatic running of applications for things like blank disks,
> audio CDs, DVDs, cameras, etc.
>
> Before making these changes however, we would like users to have a say
> in what they think they would like to see happen, even going so far as
> to changing the program that gets run. So for example, if you wanted
> K3B to be used for both audio and data disks, we would change the
> settings to load K3B, instead of using nautilus or serpentine.
>
> Your feedback is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your time.

My vote is that disks/drives are mounted but nothing is done. Let the
user decide. There are many times I just pop in a disk and I pull up my
favorite app to work with the disk. I dont need a app popping up to
handle it by default.

Since our target audience isn't the average desktop user I would think
they can handle this.

-Cory m/

Old 11-21-2007, 02:09 AM
Mark Stuart Burge

Me too !

Old 11-21-2007, 04:29 AM
Hartmut Noack

Old 11-21-2007, 07:31 AM
"Paul DeShaw"

--- On Tue 11/20, Cory K. wrote:

>My vote is that disks/drives are mounted but nothing is done. Let the> >user decide.

In the specific case of blank CD's, my vote is the same, just the icon, but keep "CD Creator" or whatever it's called in the contextual menu. In my experience, the app never works when it opens automatically, but I can always write the CD by right-clicking and selecting the "open with" default.

--Paul in Seattle

Old 11-21-2007, 08:33 AM
"Fernando M Lacerda"

Hi all,

Yup! One more vote for letting the user decide whether to run his
preferred program or nothing at all.

Cheers!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:48 AM
greg emond

no problem....provided the right click menu is still available, and all the applicable goodies are there, I dont mind.

> One change we would really like to make, is when removable drives or disks are inserted, they will only appear on the desktop, and a nautilus window will not open. We are also considering disabling all the automatic running of applications for things like blank disks, audio CDs, DVDs, cameras, etc.

Envoie un sourire, fais rire, amuse-toi! Employez-le maintenant!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:16 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

Make it act like Mac OS X.

Mount it, of course, and show a drive on the desktop. Unlike Mac, allow the user to choose the rest. Silent, no irritating windows, etc. Make it simple.

On Nov 21, 2007 7:48 AM, greg emond <

christopherstamper@gmail.com

http://tinyurl.com/39h3eg

Old 11-21-2007, 03:47 PM
"Darrin Goodman"

Agreed. My vote is to mount the device and display a desktop icon,
and let the user decide what to do.

However, I do appreciate that when I open up Nautilus that the mounted
drive(s) are displayed on the left side (lower half of left side)
where the aliases are listed. I would still like to see this
functionality when a drive is mounted.

Also, (I think that the initial thread mentioned using K3B...) KB3 is
my CD/DVD burning tool of choice for both audio and data media (but
again, I do not want for the tool to open unless I tell it to open).

Thanks!

- Darrin

On Nov 21, 2007 7:16 AM, Christopher Stamper
<christopherstamper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Make it act like Mac OS X.
>
> Mount it, of course, and show a drive on the desktop. Unlike Mac, allow the
> user to choose the rest. Silent, no irritating windows, etc. Make it simple.
>

> On Nov 21, 2007 7:48 AM, greg emond < g4gregoire@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > no problem....provided the right click menu is still available, and all
> the applicable goodies are there, I dont mind.
> >

> > > One change we would really like to make, is when removable drives or
> disks are inserted, they will only appear on the desktop, and a nautilus
> window will not open. We are also considering disabling all the automatic
> running of applications for things like blank disks, audio CDs, DVDs,
> cameras, etc.

> Christopher Stamper
> christopherstamper@gmail.com
> http://tinyurl.com/39h3eg

. __o
._ <,
(*)/,(*)
I want virgin turns in creamy powder, way up on the mountain with a
bright yodel singing out through my toothy grin.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:07 PM
"Adams, Scott (FGWA-CO)"

I agree that an icon on the desktop is plenty. This is coming from
someone that if there isn't a GUI for it I don't know how to use it. As
long as it can/is associated with k3b on the right click.