Old 11-22-2007, 12:15 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

Default Automatic launching of programs for removable media/connected devices.

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, Cory K. wrote:
> My vote is that disks/drives are mounted but nothing is done. Let the
> user decide. There are many times I just pop in a disk and I pull up my
> favorite app to work with the disk. I dont need a app popping up to
> handle it by default.

I don't know how GNOME is handling any of this these days, and I can't
remember how KDE handled it before I configured it to suit myself. Some
things pop up, most things don't. It just depends. Configurability is good.
Automatically having *every* blessed thing open in something is probably bad.

I generally agree with the people who say it should give me an icon somewhere
at least. Even I have no idea where things are without an icon, unless I
mount the stuff by hand. In this new age where plugging things in actually
does low level magic stuff, I have no idea where anything goes without help
from my GUI. (Or digging around tediously by hand, but who wants to futz
with that? Just because we're studio people instead of more common lusers
doesn't mean even command line dweebs like me want to go digging around by
hand to figure out where something got mounted.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 11-22-2007, 12:35 AM
"Cory K."

Ok. So here's the final word on this specific question.

* NO apps will be auto launched when you insert a disk. (users will
set what ever they want)
* No volumes will be mounted on the desktop, but will be accessible
through Nautilus.

Fin.

-Cory m/

Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Bharani Prasanth Sure

Also automatically launching deviates from default ubuntu "characater". Ubuntu=to serve the commmunity