Old 10-21-2008, 11:50 AM
"suemac@empire.net"

Default -rt install woes redux

Hi,

Thanks for the pointers from Gustin and others.

After some reading on how modules work and other details I beat on my rt
install.

I got the networking, both wireless and wired working. To be honest I don't
think I did anything to fix this, I think it might have been impatience for
this issue.

As for the nvidia display. I got it working after installing the
nvidia-glx-new. Installing this didn't seem to screw up my generic install,
I was pleased.

At first it didn't fix anything, still only 800x600...

During reboot, it displayed a warning about being in low res and manual
config was required. So I did, selecting the nividia 8 series and it
finished the boot...still only 800x600.

After about the third reboot and warning, I then selected not only the
nvidia driver but also the Dell laptop display. First reboot, no joy. Then
another reboot/select and there it was beautiful hi-res. Not sure what
exactly fixed it.

Below is the output of my lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory
Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express
Root Port (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI
Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI
Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI
Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port
1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port
2 (rev 02)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port
5 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI
Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI
Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI
Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI
Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface
Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE
Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E)
SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev
02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600M GT (rev
a1)
03:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev
05)
03:09.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host
Adapter (rev 22)
03:09.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host
Adapter (rev 12)
03:09.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E
Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
0b:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
Connection (rev 02)

Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 AM
"suemac@empire.net"

PS:

I've done a good deal of reading on the web on getting the usb interface
working with a TASCAM US122 and the firewire working with a Presonous FP-10.

I'd love to hear any pointers on these installs/configs, etc. before I
embark on the adventure. ;-)

Best Regards,
Mac

Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 AM
"suemac@empire.net"

Well, I spoke too soon.

When I went back to have a look at things last night, nvidia seems to be ok
in both generic and rt.

But, both rt and generic show the wireless as being there and configured
with separate ip addresses, but if I unplug the wired network I get no
wireless connection.

After reading some posts I synaptic'ed the rt backport that was supposed to
work for the Intel 3945. That resulted in another kernel in the boot list
and when it boots, network manager doesn't even show a wireless available.

So, I have a bunch of questions:

- when update manager says there are a bunch of updates and some are
clearly rt and some are generic can I let it apply all of them and will
they update the associated kernel, or do I need to select only the rt ones
while booted in rt and then do the generic while booted in the generic?

- Is it possible to un-apply the backport?

- I now have 3 different kernels listed in the boot menu (each has a normal
and recovery mode). I can see that I can just delete the different kernel
lines in the boot list, but how do I purge all the associated files
specific to a given kernel? And, when does one want to do this...?

- I don't know what to do next to get an rt kernel that's got video,
networking (wired/wireless) and is ready to go play with my audio input
devices. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mac