Old 10-18-2008, 01:33 PM
"Litus Mayol i Ricart"

Default Premiere Pro

Hi mates!

I'm studying an audiovisual degree. Now I'm starting to use "Premier Pro" for editing films. I would like to know if there's any program there that can do the same. I've heard about Cinelarra but if there's any other I'd like to know it, in the purpose of test a pair of programs, compare and then decide which one I prefer.

Does anyone know any other film editing program?

Thanks!
--
Carles Mayol i Ricart

Rocker, socialdemocrata, independentista, culĂ©, republicĂ*, ubuntaire i catòlic
~-AMANI→[ser la 6a part d'alguna cosa]

Old 10-19-2008, 03:10 AM
simone-www.io-lab.org

i ve recently and happily used kdenlive for editing, avidemux for
format switch and
qdvdauthor or varsha for authoring
Simone

2008/10/18 Litus Mayol i Ricart <litus.mayol12@gmail.com>:
> Hi mates!
>
> I'm studying an audiovisual degree. Now I'm starting to use "Premier Pro"
> for editing films. I would like to know if there's any program there that
> can do the same. I've heard about Cinelarra but if there's any other I'd
> like to know it, in the purpose of test a pair of programs, compare and then
> decide which one I prefer.
>
> Does anyone know any other film editing program?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Carles Mayol i Ricart
>
> Rocker, socialdemocrata, independentista, culĂ©, republicĂ*, ubuntaire i
> catòlic
> ~-AMANI→[ser la 6a part d'alguna cosa]

.wmv , .wma , .pps along with all proprietary Windows formats won t be
accepted and/or viewed....

Old 10-20-2008, 07:09 PM
"Litus Mayol i Ricart"

i ve recently and happily used kdenlive for editing, avidemux for

format switch and

qdvdauthor or varsha for authoring

Simone

2008/10/18 Litus Mayol i Ricart <litus.mayol12@gmail.com>:

> Hi mates!

> I'm studying an audiovisual degree. Now I'm starting to use "Premier Pro"

> for editing films. I would like to know if there's any program there that

> can do the same. I've heard about Cinelarra but if there's any other I'd

> like to know it, in the purpose of test a pair of programs, compare and then

> decide which one I prefer.

> Does anyone know any other film editing program?

> Thanks!

> --

> Carles Mayol i Ricart

> Rocker, socialdemocrata, independentista, culĂ©, republicĂ*, ubuntaire i

> catòlic

> ~-AMANI→[ser la 6a part d'alguna cosa]

.wmv , .wma , .pps along with all proprietary Windows formats won t be

accepted and/or viewed....

Two programs instead of one?
Isn't there any all-in-one film editing program?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 10-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Sergio Bello

Closed source applications have the tendency to close the door to other
products so that users aren't free to choose the best tool from other
vendors for the job.

Linux developers, on the other hand, favor interoperability at a high
degree. The audio routing system is a major example: you can chain audio
application so that a signal can flow from an an app to the other
freely, with enormous flexibility.

The same applies to video, text, command outputs and so on. You can pipe
data at your wish, filter it, elaborate it through the best tools
around.

Having to use more than an application is not a weakness: it's added
value.

Sergio

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 16:27 -0600, Gustin Johnson wrote:

--
Sergio Bello - Software Architect

Sintechno S.r.l. [www.sintechno.it]

Via Dante, 188
26100 - Cremona (ITALY)

Phone 0372 22942
Fax 0372 565287
Mobile 329 9499343
EMail s.bello@sintechno.it
those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Old 10-21-2008, 04:55 AM
Rafael Chacon

Litus Mayol i Ricart wrote:

Two programs instead of one?
Isn't there any all-in-one film editing program?

----------
Stop thinking like a Windows or Mac user. Here we use the right tool
for the right job. Generally in the FLOSS world, you will find less of
the all in one programs, but you will find more specialized tools that
excel at their task.

At the end of the day does it really matter? I know that I care about
getting the job done.
----------
Closed source applications have the tendency to close the door to other
products so that users aren't free to choose the best tool from other
vendors for the job.

Linux developers, on the other hand, favor interoperability at a high
degree. The audio routing system is a major example: you can chain audio
application so that a signal can flow from an an app to the other
freely, with enormous flexibility.

The same applies to video, text, command outputs and so on. You can pipe
data at your wish, filter it, elaborate it through the best tools
around.

Having to use more than an application is not a weakness: it's added
value.

Sergio
For some users: "Simplicity is the name of the game". I mean: "I do not want to be a programmer or a software expert to take advantage of a computer. In those terms, I prefer a "wizard" that helps me to a quick start in a home video production instead to study days or months to become an expert in a specialized tool and... continue to study to become an an expert in an other specialized tool and so on.. to get the job done."

I do not deny --if video is my hobby-- I will take that path (and very interested in learning in all related tools --that is the reason I am here--) and I agree with Gustin and Sergio. But, if you are a beginner or you have little time to get the job done, a "good-enough-tool" that does all-in-one probably is the best solution. I did this comment because for a beginner in Linux (like me) it is very hard the first steps when you come from a "few-clicks-world" to get the job done.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:12 PM
"Litus Mayol i Ricart"