-   -   Studio rt kernel install woes (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/176701-studio-rt-kernel-install-woes.html)

"suemac@empire.net" 10-15-2008 11:58 AM

Studio rt kernel install woes

Gustin,

I meant to copy the list as well...must be the flu I'm
trying to shake.

I have changed the subject back to something like my original.

This laptop came from Dell with Ubuntu installed. I guess I
was expecting too much of the rt install to figure out that if
I had all the on-board hardware working in the generic kernel
that I'd want the same stuff in the rt kernel. Silly me.

So, what I think I'm hearing is that each kernel has
different file system? i.e. the /lib/firmware directory that
the generic kernel sees is not (or possibly not) the same
one the rt kernel sees?

I suppose I should ensure that I have the latest nvidia and
not use the ones that came installed with the generic
kernel? Then again, looking at the nvidia site, it makes it
appear like "where eagles dare"...how does one determine
that, as specified by nvidia: "the linux-headers package matching the
installed Linux
kernel is installed"

In my case for the rt kernel?

As for the network card, I need to have more time to look at
what is really working when I boot the rt kernel. That means
determining what commands will give me info and how to
interpret the resulting info...

I can see it's going to be a long time before I get to
actually do audio...

Speaking of audio, once I get the Tascam working, I have
Presonus Firepod (FP10) is it likely to be as long a road as
the Tascam?

Thanks for the help.

mac

"Cory K." 10-16-2008 01:03 AM

suemac@empire.net wrote:
> Gustin,
>
> I meant to copy the list as well...must be the flu I'm
> trying to shake.
>
> I have changed the subject back to something like my original.
>
> This laptop came from Dell with Ubuntu installed. I guess I
> was expecting too much of the rt install to figure out that if
> I had all the on-board hardware working in the generic kernel
> that I'd want the same stuff in the rt kernel. Silly me.
>
> So, what I think I'm hearing is that each kernel has
> different file system? i.e. the /lib/firmware directory that
> the generic kernel sees is not (or possibly not) the same
> one the rt kernel sees?
>
> I suppose I should ensure that I have the latest nvidia and
> not use the ones that came installed with the generic
> kernel? Then again, looking at the nvidia site, it makes it
> appear like "where eagles dare"...how does one determine
> that, as specified by nvidia: "the linux-headers package matching the
> installed Linux
> kernel is installed"
>
> In my case for the rt kernel?
>
> As for the network card, I need to have more time to look at
> what is really working when I boot the rt kernel. That means
> determining what commands will give me info and how to
> interpret the resulting info...
>
> I can see it's going to be a long time before I get to
> actually do audio...
>
> Speaking of audio, once I get the Tascam working, I have
> Presonus Firepod (FP10) is it likely to be as long a road as
> the Tascam?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> mac

I'm sorry but as long as you're trying Hardy *sudo apt-get install
linux-rt* is all you need. It will give you everything -generic has.

-Cory K.

"suemac@empire.net" 10-17-2008 11:28 AM

Studio rt kernel install woes

Cory,

Are you saying that when I boot after the -rt install it should look like
the -generic?

or that using apt-get instead of synaptic knows some magic that loads
modules and drivers the the generic knows about?

Mac

Message: 4

Janne Jokitalo 10-17-2008 11:53 AM

Studio rt kernel install woes

Mac,

please don't top-post replies, breaks the logic-chain. (re-ordered the post for your
convenience)

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:28:38AM -0400, suemac@empire.net wrote:
> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:03:19 -0400
> From: "Cory K." <coryisatm@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Studio rt kernel install woes
>
> >I'm sorry but as long as you're trying Hardy *sudo apt-get install
> >linux-rt* is all you need. It will give you everything -generic has.
>
> Cory,
>
> Are you saying that when I boot after the -rt install it should look like
> the -generic?
>
> or that using apt-get instead of synaptic knows some magic that loads
> modules and drivers the the generic knows about?

What Cory is saying, is that the linux-rt metapackage pulls in all relevant
other packages for running the machine with just as good efficiency than the
-generic does.

Take a look at it yourself:

jaska@scapa:~ 14:49:42 $ apt-cache show linux-rt
Package: linux-rt
Section: multiverse/metapackages
Installed-Size: 52
Maintainer: Ubuntu Kernel Team <kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: i386
Source: linux-meta
Version: 2.6.24.21.23
Depends: linux-image-rt (= 2.6.24.21.23), linux-restricted-modules-rt (=
2.6.24.21.23)
Filename: pool/multiverse/l/linux-meta/linux-rt_2.6.24.21.23_i386.deb
Size: 26486
MD5sum: 0406c65422d2576bf28f2257f63ca907
SHA1: 78904e9eb94291c18647294c79bdd5103b909b9c
SHA256: d82b89ccffc036f34bd47bb634cdf075486c44d456d6aee14b ee9882ee4fbb1b
This package will always depend on the latest complete rt Linux kernel
available.
Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Origin: Ubuntu

--