Old 10-06-2008, 01:46 AM
"Jens Hochapfel"

Default bugreport_by_newbie

Sorry,

I've not read my way through all the FAQ's at all the candidate forums for posting this message, it's here now because I've gained the impression that if it's in the wrong place here, at least participants of this group will know the right place better than me.

I'm 3 weeks new to Linux, had Musix, Kwort, and Mandriva installed and Parsix and Dyne_Bolic running from live CD so far, haven't been working so close to the machine since the days of Apple II's.

So now I'm running Ubuntu Studio's latest release(must be 8.04) as a second OS to Windows XP pro on a Box with an American Megatrends Motherbord and BIOS. (Duron CPU, 512Mb RAM and a meager 10Gb diskspace alotted to Linux+Swap, if it behaves aaaaall nice, it'll get more later on)

The most serious bug I've noticed so far is that, although reboot works fine as far as I remember, after lengthy sessions, shutdown leads the computer to hang with the ubuntu studio boot/shutdown image when the power should be switched off, the subsequent manual resets seem to cause windows to be more reluctant to boot properly.

I also agree that there is a problem with legibility of rather dark characters on dark background, and changing the style in the corresponding desktop menu doesn't carry over to all applications, but thats's no biggie.

What set me to file a report was the combination of the followling:

Attempting to record an external source via the onbord soundcard using the sound recorder, I had to settle for the .flac format I didn't now instead of the more familiar .wav, because the latter choice produced error messages 'error del flujo interno de datos' (internal data flow error, I assume, I've chosen spanish at install), then 'subclass did not specify output size' , both upon pressing the record button.

.flac format worked fine, though, thus next I opened Brasero app to burn the stuff onto CD. It recognized and opened the .flac track.(Gnome CD Master didn't) As the track actually contained three separate pieces of music, I was happy to discover a track seperation feature. Automatic separation by silence recognition failed, but manual editing worked, or so it seemed: now I had three flac files. Gave them new names, signed as artist and author, felt happy and burnt the whole stuff onto CD, and what did I get? A nice disk with 3 songs on it, which, when playing them, all and each turned out to be song nr.1. Which, all the newbie I am, leads me to believe that BRASERO is having trouble when it comes to putting tables of content together, at least in .flac format. Probably the three songs were there on the CD, but the directory contained three pointers all pointing to the first song. My guess.

** So if it's not you beeing in charge of Brasero, at least you've put it into the package and hopefully now whom to kindly forward this story to.

---

That's the bug report proper, a comment is that it's at times confusing and troublesome to have both Pulse Audio and ALSA dealing with audio parallelly (or serially, or both, I don't even now which), with the mysteries of JACK added in, but then I've managed to get more things working with Pulse being around than with an other (Musix) distro that had ALSA only (this may be subjective,Musix was the first thing I tried, and I've gained orientation as I went along).

----

For the future (and this has nothing to do with bugs anymore) I'd like to have an Idea of the degree of hazzle it means to change the Desktop or Window manager, I mean , bringing something the like of Beryl or Compiz-Fusion in, combining Xfce or Kde with the latter; having Konqueror running as an alternative file manager/browser independant of the surrounding Desktop; and to get Video chatting or* -VOIP going with a not too old and not too new Logitech WebCam?

Do these aims mean it's time to learn the fine art of compiling and recompiling ? I'm still feeling mildly lost in a terminal window, but hey, I've eventually got one or two things working even there, and having once been fluent in Pascal, Basic and 6502, I might try to tackle, what? Bash, gcc and maybe Python, am I right there?

Ok, you maybe haven't as much time as I have today, so I leave it there. Thanx for the great concerted effort that linux, ubuntu, and ubuntu studio mean.*********** Jens Hochapfel