Old 10-03-2008, 08:49 AM
John Cohen

Default Xinerama Nvidia & RT

Hi all

I know its been discussed recently but this is slightly different (i
think)
I have 8.04 (32bit) Desktop and Studio versions installed on two
different hard drives on my AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+. My
Desktop edition works beautifully.
My Studio version has been causing a lot of problems (crashes mostly) I
figured out its probably because of 3D graphics acceleration and the rt
kernel. I disabled the NVIDIA drivers and used the open NV drivers
instead, making the system work alright.
The main problem is that I would really much like to have 2 screens with
xinerama enabled to work with ardour, hydrogen etc.
I tried modifying xorg manually in all sorts of ways but havent managed
to have xinerama enabled with the NV drivers... Is this even possible?
There must be a way to use open drivers and 2 screens! Any suggestions?

thanks
john

Old 10-03-2008, 03:44 PM
"Karoliina Salminen"

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:49 AM, John Cohen <producjohns@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I know its been discussed recently but this is slightly different (i
> think)
> I have 8.04 (32bit) Desktop and Studio versions installed on two
> different hard drives on my AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+. My
> Desktop edition works beautifully.
> My Studio version has been causing a lot of problems (crashes mostly) I
> figured out its probably because of 3D graphics acceleration and the rt
> kernel. I disabled the NVIDIA drivers and used the open NV drivers
> instead, making the system work alright.

I think we have encountered similar problems, and because of the
instability with
the rt-kernel we have been using the desktop kernel. The setup
consists of nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
and a Core 2 Quad and it is connected to 30 inch Dell monitor (with
2560x1600 resolution).
It used to be a huge problem for me (as I make music as a hobby) and I
also use the X-plane flight simulator on that
machine (which means that not using 3D acceleration is not an option).
I finally gave up half-way and have ever since been producing my music
on Mac with Logic Studio, I only occasionally
may use some sounds from the Ubuntu machine. I really hope the real
time kernel gets more stable with nVidia in the
future. I have encountered this instability from the times I used
Agnula (long time ago) and it hasn't completely got stable
even in the latest versions of Ubuntu it seems.

Best Regards,
Karoliina

Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 PM
"Karoliina Salminen"

Hi again,

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 6:44 PM, Karoliina Salminen
<karoliina.t.salminen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:49 AM, John Cohen <producjohns@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I know its been discussed recently but this is slightly different (i
>> think)
>> I have 8.04 (32bit) Desktop and Studio versions installed on two
>> different hard drives on my AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+. My
>> Desktop edition works beautifully.
>> My Studio version has been causing a lot of problems (crashes mostly) I
>> figured out its probably because of 3D graphics acceleration and the rt
>> kernel. I disabled the NVIDIA drivers and used the open NV drivers
>> instead, making the system work alright.
>
> I think we have encountered similar problems, and because of the
> instability with
> the rt-kernel we have been using the desktop kernel. The setup
> consists of nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
> and a Core 2 Quad and it is connected to 30 inch Dell monitor (with
> 2560x1600 resolution).
> It used to be a huge problem for me (as I make music as a hobby) and I
> also use the X-plane flight simulator on that
> machine (which means that not using 3D acceleration is not an option).
> I finally gave up half-way and have ever since been producing my music
> on Mac with Logic Studio, I only occasionally
> may use some sounds from the Ubuntu machine. I really hope the real
> time kernel gets more stable with nVidia in the
> future. I have encountered this instability from the times I used
> Agnula (long time ago) and it hasn't completely got stable
> even in the latest versions of Ubuntu it seems.

I just found out something and would like to add:
Sorry for being misleading, I checked the kernel version I am using now
and actually the instability was with the AMD.
With the Intel hw the machine seems to be stable with the RT kernel,
so what I said above is not valid for the Intel configuration, I had
the problems with
the earlier hardware.

Best Regards,
Karoliina

Old 10-03-2008, 03:55 PM
"laurent.bellegarde"

Karoliina Salminen a écrit :
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:49 AM, John Cohen <producjohns@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I know its been discussed recently but this is slightly different (i
>> think)
>> I have 8.04 (32bit) Desktop and Studio versions installed on two
>> different hard drives on my AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+. My
>> Desktop edition works beautifully.
>> My Studio version has been causing a lot of problems (crashes mostly) I
>> figured out its probably because of 3D graphics acceleration and the rt
>> kernel. I disabled the NVIDIA drivers and used the open NV drivers
>> instead, making the system work alright.
>>

> I think we have encountered similar problems, and because of the
> instability with
> the rt-kernel we have been using the desktop kernel. The setup
> consists of nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
> and a Core 2 Quad and it is connected to 30 inch Dell monitor (with
> 2560x1600 resolution).
> It used to be a huge problem for me (as I make music as a hobby) and I
> also use the X-plane flight simulator on that
> machine (which means that not using 3D acceleration is not an option).
> I finally gave up half-way and have ever since been producing my music
> on Mac with Logic Studio, I only occasionally
> may use some sounds from the Ubuntu machine. I really hope the real
> time kernel gets more stable with nVidia in the
> future. I have encountered this instability from the times I used
> Agnula (long time ago) and it hasn't completely got stable
> even in the latest versions of Ubuntu it seems.
>
> Best Regards,
> Karoliina

Hi, in hardy 8.04 ubuntu studio 32 bits rt-kernel on with a pentium IV
3GHz activated as dual core, 3 Go ram and an nvidia 7300 GS 256 Mo pci-e
i have the 3D nvidia driver working fine.

As i have only one monitor, i've never tested xinerama...

Laurent

Old 10-03-2008, 05:49 PM
"Karoliina Salminen"

Hello,

Please see my later reply after the initial reply, it actuall is not a
problem on Intel, it was a problem when
the machine had AMD processor on it. I remembered wrong the case and
the actual status is
that the Intel Quad core machine in our living room is running the RT
kernel all the time and it is stable.
Sorry for the misleading initial reply.

Br,
Karoliina

Old 10-04-2008, 12:22 PM
John Cohen

Yes, my desktop edition works fine with 3D graphics, NVIDIA drivers and
Xinerama enabled. The problem is I've got a RME hammerfall and Behringer
ADA8000 that NEED the RT kernel to operate without xruns.

But I really wanted two screens! Maybe it is as Karoliina mentioned, AMD
being the problem.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:48 AM
"Karoliina Salminen"

> Yes, my desktop edition works fine with 3D graphics, NVIDIA drivers and
> Xinerama enabled. The problem is I've got a RME hammerfall and Behringer
> ADA8000 that NEED the RT kernel to operate without xruns.

I think RT kernel is needed for low latency on any hardware.

> But I really wanted two screens! Maybe it is as Karoliina mentioned, AMD
> being the problem.

If the RT kernel was mainstream, in other words, the RT would be in
every desktop linux by default
(without it being Ubuntu studio or some other distro for multimedia
users), I would bet that the
stability would become better as the userbase would be larger, there
would be more people to file bugs at least.

I think this should happen, it is a bit weird that there are two
different branches of kernel on the first place,
the RT helps even the responsiveness of desktop. For desktop use, the
absence of RT has no purpose.
In MacOSX real time kernel comes by default and it can not be disabled
(of course someone might say now that, well, yes
Mac does not even run on AMD hardware, but that is not the point here
but how the kernel scheduling was designed).

And as a consequence, there is no such thing as latency in audio
applications, even
with the internal hardware of MacBook one can do music with ease.
Ordinary non-geek Mac-musicians propably
don't even know what a latency problem is, they may have never seen
such a thing, when you press a key in your master keyboard,
a sound is produced by a software synth now rather than after 100
milliseconds, and that is without any tuning, without even knowing
what
xruns are, with default hardware without special drivers of any kind,
it just works. This should be the case with Linux too.

For Linux becoming more mainstream, I think it would be a good move to
incorporate all the RT patches to ordinary desktop Linux kernels
(e.g. ordinary Ubuntu) and stop having it as a separate branch.

Best Regards,
Karoliina

Old 10-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 PM
John Cohen

Ok will consider using intel when and if I upgrade. For now
unfortunately I'm stuck with what I've got. Which kind of brings back
the original question... Having the NV open drivers, and 2d graphics
enabled, is it possible to have xinerama enabled via xorg.config or
another way? or is it only possible with proprietary drivers?

thanks for your input

john

Old 10-07-2008, 04:03 PM
"laurent.bellegarde"

John Cohen a écrit :
> Ok will consider using intel when and if I upgrade. For now
> unfortunately I'm stuck with what I've got. Which kind of brings back
> the original question... Having the NV open drivers, and 2d graphics
> enabled, is it possible to have xinerama enabled via xorg.config or
> another way? or is it only possible with proprietary drivers?
>
> thanks for your input
>
> john

Hi john,

It seems to have a solution.

without the nvidia 3D driver, you can use xinerama or something like
that to use 2 displays easily.

I can't test it because i'll only have one monitor !!!

you can install by synaptic a software called grandr, a gtk gnome
interface for xrandr which allow you to use 2 displays easily.

to start grandr, open a terminal, and write grandr, a graphical
interface will up, with your displays.

I have a nvidia 7300 GS, with a vga port and a dvi port. so If it works,
you can use 2 displays.

I'm interested by the result on you computer...

complete documentation here, but only in french...
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/multi-ecran

Laurent