Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Pietro Bergamo

Default Idiom acrostics

Em Qua, 2008-10-01 ąs 07:42 -0700, Steven Davies-Morris escreveu:

> FWIW I've tried Intrepid with the 2.2.26 rt...
> ...aling with the problems of 2.2.26 rt. YMMV.

Hi all.
As a non-native english speaker, I'd like to ask you, if possible, to
avoid the use of acrostics such as the ones above, because it is
sometimes hard to figure out what they mean.
Since this is an international list, I think standard English suits it
better. IMHO. :^)
Best regards,
Pietro

Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Sean Edwards

FWIW - For what it's worth.
Meaning: You may or may not assign value to this statement.

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary
Meaning: This is an automobile industry term, which means your results may be different from my results.

-=Sean Edwards=-

Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 PM
"mentoj_dija@gmx.de"

Ah... now i've got it ;-)

Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 PM

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 21:45:36 +0200
"mentoj_dija@gmx.de" <mentoj_dija@gmx.de> wrote:

> Ah... now i've got it ;-)
>

> Sean Edwards wrote:
> > FWIW - For what it's worth.
> > Meaning: You may or may not assign value to this statement.
> >
> > YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary
> > Meaning: This is an automobile industry term, which means your
> > results may be different from my results.
> >
> > -=Sean Edwards=-

There's a small program on your machine that can be useful in those
cases, it's called wtf.

$ wtf ymmv
YMMV: your mileage may vary

$ wtf wtf
WTF: {what,where,who,why} the fuck

It doesn't explain the meaning but it's still helpful in most cases
(YMMV may be one of the exceptions).

Regards,
Philipp

Old 10-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Sean Edwards

Wilco Tango Foxtrot?!?!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Pietro Bergamo

Em Qua, 2008-10-01 ąs 12:40 -0700, Sean Edwards escreveu:
> FWIW - For what it's worth.
> Meaning: You may or may not assign value to this statement.
>
> YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary
> Meaning: This is an automobile industry term, which means your results may be different from my results.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Pietro Bergamo

Em Qua, 2008-10-01 ąs 23:17 +0200, hollunder@gmx.at escreveu:

> There's a small program on your machine that can be useful in those
> cases, it's called wtf.
>
> $ wtf ymmv
> YMMV: your mileage may vary
>
> $ wtf wtf
> WTF: {what,where,who,why} the fuck
>
> It doesn't explain the meaning but it's still helpful in most cases
> (YMMV may be one of the exceptions).
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

Thank you too!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 PM
sandie

hollunder@gmx.at wrote:
> There's a small program on your machine that can be useful in those
> cases, it's called wtf.

Thanks :-)

Cool little app

Old 10-02-2008, 05:25 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:50 PM, sandie <sandie@sandgreen.dk> wrote:

hollunder@gmx.at wrote:

> There's a small program on your machine that can be useful in those

> cases, it's called wtf.

Thanks :-)

Cool little app

Never knew that existed! :-)

You could, of course, just google for* "Define: FWIW" without the quotes.

--
Christopher Stamper

Email: christopherstamper@gmail.com
Web: http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg