Old 10-01-2008, 01:41 PM
"Cory K."

Default realtime?

sandie wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just joined this list, so please bear with me if this has been asked a
> thousand times before :-)
> Is there any word about a realtime kernel in Ubustu-Ipex ? and if not...
> is there a beginners guide to building it yourself ?

Intrepid will not be *shipping* with -rt. We intend to make every effort
to get it in after release but many things will have to fall into place.
Preliminary tests show that the current Hardy -rt kernel works minus
some issues with non-free drivers but installing -generic *before*
upgrading might be a good idea. We're looking at things to make this
easier atm. Users are encouraged to stick with Hardy on production
machines. Efforts will be made to backport packages like Ardour.

As far as building -rt from scratch, I'm sure others can chime in. Note
that upstream -rt currently does not support 2.6.27. (2.6.26.5-rt9 is
latest patch) This is a part of the reason for no -rt in Intrepid.

-Cory K.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 PM
"mentoj_dija@gmx.de"

hi,

i would say: wait for ubuntu-studio 8.10.

am i wrong?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Cory K. wrote:
> sandie wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I just joined this list, so please bear with me if this has been
>> asked a thousand times before :-) Is there any word about a
>> realtime kernel in Ubustu-Ipex ? and if not... is there a
>> beginners guide to building it yourself ?
>>

> Intrepid will not be *shipping* with -rt. We intend to make every
> effort to get it in after release but many things will have to fall
> into place. Preliminary tests show that the current Hardy -rt
> kernel works minus some issues with non-free drivers but installing
> -generic *before* upgrading might be a good idea. We're looking at
> things to make this easier atm. Users are encouraged to stick with
> Hardy on production machines. Efforts will be made to backport
> packages like Ardour.
>
> As far as building -rt from scratch, I'm sure others can chime in.
> Note that upstream -rt currently does not support 2.6.27.
> (2.6.26.5-rt9 is latest patch) This is a part of the reason for no
> -rt in Intrepid.
>
> -Cory K.

FWIW I've tried Intrepid with the 2.2.26 rt for AMD64 for about 10
days. In one word "don't". There's a laundry-list of things that cause
the system to lock up and go braindead -- many of them video and audio
driver related. But many apps appear to work on the generic kernel
(performance issues aside). And many of them appear to work in the
latest (Intrepid alpha 6) versions using the 2.2.19 rt kernel that is
available for Hardy.

I have to agree with Cory that for now Ubuntu Studio users should
stick with Hardy because the 2.2.26 rt kernel is not ready to go as
part of Intrepid, let alone as part of Ubuntu Studio Intrepid. That
may change in the next 30 days, but I suggest letting Cory et al pull
their hair out and swear at their computers dealing with the problems
of 2.2.26 rt. YMMV.
NP: nothing

Old 10-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 10-01-2008, 06:09 PM
"mentoj_dija@gmx.de"

Gustin Johnson wrote:

> mentoj_dija@gmx.de wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i would say: wait for ubuntu-studio 8.10.
>>
>> am i wrong?
>>

> Or perhaps 8.10.1, I don't think that 8.10 will have an RT kernel by the
> release date. For production machines it seems the advice is to stick
> with Hardy.

thats a pity. i was looking forward to ubuntu 8.10.

is it possible to get Ardour 2.5 with Ubuntu Studio 8.10(.1)?

Ardour 2 is not very stable on my system. dont know why.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 10-01-2008, 11:31 PM
sandie

Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> FWIW I've tried Intrepid with the 2.2.26 rt for AMD64 for about 10
> days. In one word "don't". There's a laundry-list of things that cause
> the system to lock up and go braindead -- many of them video and audio
> driver related. But many apps appear to work on the generic kernel
> (performance issues aside). And many of them appear to work in the
> latest (Intrepid alpha 6) versions using the 2.2.19 rt kernel that is
> available for Hardy.
>
> I have to agree with Cory that for now Ubuntu Studio users should
> stick with Hardy because the 2.2.26 rt kernel is not ready to go as
> part of Intrepid, let alone as part of Ubuntu Studio Intrepid. That
> may change in the next 30 days, but I suggest letting Cory et al pull
> their hair out and swear at their computers dealing with the problems
> of 2.2.26 rt. YMMV.

A non-rt kernel is realy not an option for me, I can't run any of my
apps :-( at least not with the preformance I'm used to.

I managed to install the rt-kernel (32bit) from the repros, a 173 Nvidia
driver (the 177 didnt work for me), Wine and Wineasio, and have been
trying to crash the system for an hour now, without any luck :-)
I use EnergyXT2 with (win)vsti's for drums, bass and keyboards, and then
record guitar, vocals and other analog thingies.

But lets say (for the sake of the argument) that I don't know anything
about kernels ;-)
Will I still be using all the new stuff in 8.10, xorg, qt.... ?
And will the kernel be updated automaticly when the new one arrive ?

Kind regards
Sandie

Old 10-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

sandie wrote:
> Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>> FWIW I've tried Intrepid with the 2.2.26 rt for AMD64 for about
>> 10 days. In one word "don't". There's a laundry-list of things
>> that cause the system to lock up and go braindead -- many of them
>> video and audio driver related. But many apps appear to work on
>> the generic kernel (performance issues aside). And many of them
>> appear to work in the latest (Intrepid alpha 6) versions using
>> the 2.2.19 rt kernel that is available for Hardy.
>>
>> I have to agree with Cory that for now Ubuntu Studio users should
>> stick with Hardy because the 2.2.26 rt kernel is not ready to go
>> as part of Intrepid, let alone as part of Ubuntu Studio
>> Intrepid. That may change in the next 30 days, but I suggest
>> letting Cory et al pull their hair out and swear at their
>> computers dealing with the problems of 2.2.26 rt. YMMV.
>>
> A non-rt kernel is realy not an option for me, I can't run any of
> my apps :-( at least not with the preformance I'm used to.

If so then you will need to run 8.04 Hardy for the foreseeable future,
which isn't so bad. IMO Ubuntu Studio on Hardy is pretty swell. But,
if you're dead keen to move forward then it might have to be Intrepid
with the generic kernel...for a while. Which is what I plan to do.

As I indicated, Intrepid Alpha 6 is quite stable using the latest
generic kernel -- actually with applied patches it's now very stable
IMO and probably very close to being a BETA version -- but the same
8.10 apps on the latest develoment rt kernel are still prone to abrupt
app aborts and outright system crashing. (i.e. lobotomizing my AMD64
box 4-6 times a day). And I'm not even talking about freezes in Ubuntu
Studio apps. It'll will be in the middle of something in Firefox or
Nautilus or Open Office and suddenly flatline. :-(

> I managed to install the rt-kernel (32bit) from the repros, a 173
> Nvidia driver (the 177 didnt work for me), Wine and Wineasio, and
> have been trying to crash the system for an hour now, without any
> luck :-)

It took me a few hours before the first blowup occurred. :-) By
contrast nothing is crashing my AMD64 system using 810 with the
generic kernel.

> I use EnergyXT2 with (win)vsti's for drums, bass and keyboards, and
> then record guitar, vocals and other analog thingies.
>
> But lets say (for the sake of the argument) that I don't know
> anything about kernels ;-) Will I still be using all the new stuff
> in 8.10, xorg, qt.... ? And will the kernel be updated automaticly
> when the new one arrive ?

I ran the current rt kernel that ships with Hardy Ubuntu Studio
2.2.19), and a mix of the 8.10 apps. That combo seems to be fairly
stable, but I've only looked at a few audio apps that were of interest
to me. I didn't dig into any video apps, and didn't spend any time on
MIDI, or do any audio that would need very low latency. So take a big
pinch of salt with my saying that the current Ubuntu Studio rt kernel
might work for you with some of the Intrepid apps until the issues of
Intrepid and the 2.2.27x rt kernel get resolved.

> Kind regards Sandie

Good luck to you. The way forward for Ubuntu Studio on Intrepid looks
to be quite an adventure! :-)
NP: Hawkwind "The Hall Of The Mountain Grill"

Old 10-02-2008, 05:53 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

What's the release dates for Intrepid and 8.10.1?

Sure would be nice to have them on the homepage(ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio.org)...

--
Christopher Stamper

Email: christopherstamper@gmail.com
Web: http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg
gTalk: http://tinyurl.com/6e359r

Skype: cdstamper

Old 10-02-2008, 06:00 PM
sandie

Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> It took me a few hours before the first blowup occurred. :-)

Seam it was a bit premature with my "mission accomplished" statement.
I guess you where right when calling it a can of worms, I have never
seen so many strange bugs :-)