-   -   M-Audio not responsive regarding Linux drivers (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/167653-m-audio-not-responsive-regarding-linux-drivers.html)

Steve Meiers 09-28-2008 05:25 PM

M-Audio not responsive regarding Linux drivers

I have a ProFire LightBridge from M-Audio and have requested info to use for Linux
driver development, with no response for over three weeks now. I called
support and they were very, very helpful about another issue. But when
asked about my Linux driver info request, I was told that they do not
provide this information, but they would remind Engineering of my request. I told them I thought they should at least respond to my email with an official position or response.

Bottom
line, from my perspective and as much as I like M-Audio gear ( I own 5
or 6 items from M-Audio), you might have better luck going with another
manufacturer until M-Audio gets a bit Linux friendly.

Steve Meiers

"mentoj_dija@gmx.de" 09-28-2008 05:46 PM

M-Audio not responsive regarding Linux drivers

oh, nice card. but a little bit to expensive for me.

but your Soundcard works, right? is there any feature, you cant use with
linux? if yes, what feature?

i am thinking about a "Terratec Phase 26 USB SE". but i think it has
only usb 1.1 what seems to little.

an other nice card is the "Terratec Soundsystem DMX 6 Fire USB". but 200
€ is a little bit to much. and i dont know, if the card would work under
Ubuntu studio.

Sergio Bello 09-28-2008 05:53 PM

M-Audio not responsive regarding Linux drivers

It's a shame, because I have an M-Audio pci device (delta 1010) and I am
very happy with it.

You should perhaps cc this thread to the M-Audio guys, so to put a bit
of pressure on them.

More in general, we should consider (imho) to collect and publish a well
publicized 'Top Ten Linux Friendly Audio Devices Vendors and Models'
list based on our experience. And perhaps a 'Top Ten Linux *Unfriendly*
Audio Devices Vendors' list, also.

The alsa-project one uses a bottom-up approach: what card do you have?
yes it works/No it doesn't. I imagine something more like: are you
buying a card? what price tag? well, the best around is XYZ! And
*please* avoid ABC!!!

Just my 0.2 Euro Cents.

Sergio

--
Sergio Bello - Software Architect

Sintechno S.r.l. [www.sintechno.it]

Via Dante, 188
26100 - Cremona

Phone 0372 22942
Fax 0372 565287
Mobile 329 9499343
EMail s.bello@sintechno.it
those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Gustin Johnson 09-29-2008 10:33 AM

M-Audio not responsive regarding Linux drivers

Steve Meiers 09-30-2008 03:01 AM

M-Audio not responsive regarding Linux drivers

Gustin wrote:
"You may wish to point your vendor to:

http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/free_drivers.html
and
http://www.linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome "

That's part of the email support request that I sent to M-Audio. No answer...

steve meiers