Old 09-28-2008, 03:15 AM
"adam faranda"

Default help with Side Chain Compression

I noticed that there are four LADSPA plugins, named "SC1, SC2, SC3, and SC4", which I am hoping different types of side chain compressors.*I was experimenting a little with SC3, but I couldn't get any noticeable results; here's what I did:

I created two tracks, a simple bass line, and a kick drum track with the kick drum pounding on the down beat.I waned to use the steady One Two Three Four of the kick drum as the side chain, applying compression to the bass track.*
I loaded the two tracks into Ardour, and used Jack Rack to host the plugin. SC3 has three inputs. Two of these, I assume,are for the left and right channels and the third, I believe is for the side chain. Conveniently, all three of these inputs appear
in Patchage, so I was able to experiment pluging the drum track and bass track into different inputs. However I couldn't detect any noticeable difference*in the sound of the bass track no matter what arrangement I used.*

I was wondering if anyone had experience with these plugins, or knew of a better (JACK friendly !!!!! ) way to do side chain compression *

Old 09-28-2008, 07:54 AM

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:15:10 -0400
"adam faranda" <adam.faranda@gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed that there are four LADSPA plugins, named "SC1, SC2, SC3,
> and SC4", which I am hoping different types of side chain
> compressors. I was experimenting a little with SC3, but I couldn't
> get any noticeable results; here's what I did:
>
> I created two tracks, a simple bass line, and a kick drum track with
> the kick drum pounding on the down beat.
> I waned to use the steady One Two Three Four of the kick drum as the
> side chain, applying compression to the bass track.
> I loaded the two tracks into Ardour, and used Jack Rack to host the
> plugin. SC3 has three inputs. Two of these, I assume,
> are for the left and right channels and the third, I believe is for
> the side chain. Conveniently, all three of these inputs appear
> in Patchage, so I was able to experiment pluging the drum track and
> bass track into different inputs. However I couldn't detect any
> noticeable difference
> in the sound of the bass track no matter what arrangement I used.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had experience with these plugins, or knew
> of a better (JACK friendly !!!!! ) way to do side chain compression

I believe someone did this in a hackish manner entirely in ardour, you
should be able to find that in the ardour forums. I believe I have read
that it should be possible with jackrack without that hackish stuff but
I've never tried it.

Best regards,
Philipp

Old 10-02-2008, 03:48 PM
"adam faranda"

Yeah, you can do it entirely in ardour; I put the compressor on it's own bus*(SC1 -- 2 channels --*aux for the side chain, and one channel*for*compression)* and had my drum track and a constant volume sine tone on separate mono tracks. I routed the drums into the side chain input, and the sine tone into the main input and Lo and behold, the drum track did indeed modulate the amplitude of the sine tone, albeit somewhat weakly. However now its just a matter of playing with parameters to get the right sound; I may also try doubling the compression by chaining two instances of SC1 together.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:57 PM
"Kim Burgess"