Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 AM
David Stocker

Default Removing Lilypond

I'm trying to remove LilyPond 2.10.33 (which came bundled with Ubuntu
Studio 8.04) so that I may install the latest version of the program. A
typical installation of LilyPond contains an uninstall script that can
be run by double-clicking an icon labeled 'uninstall-lilypond' but this
file is nowhere to be found on the system. I also tried uninstalling it
through the synaptic package manager, however doing so will apparently
affect the installation of Rosegarden, which I don't want to do. (I
believe Rosegarden depends on LilyPond for it's notation output).

Another option would be to simply install the latest version of LilyPond
and change the path by which the command 'lilypond' accesses the program
executables. However, since I'm new to Linux, I would probably need
assistance in doing so.

Does anyone on the forum have any advice?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 09-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Joseph Wakeling

David Stocker wrote:
> I'm trying to remove LilyPond 2.10.33 (which came bundled with Ubuntu
> Studio 8.04) so that I may install the latest version of the program. A
> typical installation of LilyPond contains an uninstall script that can
> be run by double-clicking an icon labeled 'uninstall-lilypond' but this
> file is nowhere to be found on the system. I also tried uninstalling it
> through the synaptic package manager, however doing so will apparently
> affect the installation of Rosegarden, which I don't want to do. (I
> believe Rosegarden depends on LilyPond for it's notation output).
>
> Another option would be to simply install the latest version of LilyPond
> and change the path by which the command 'lilypond' accesses the program
> executables. However, since I'm new to Linux, I would probably need
> assistance in doing so.
>
> Does anyone on the forum have any advice?

Use the command,

sudo aptitude remove lilypond lilypond-doc

:-)

You only need to use the lilypond uninstall script if you installed
using Lilypond's shell installer -- the version bundled with Ubuntu
Studio can be installed and uninstalled using Ubuntu's package
management system.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Gustin Johnson

Old 09-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Joseph Wakeling

Joseph Wakeling wrote:
> Use the command,
>
> sudo aptitude remove lilypond lilypond-doc
>
> :-)
>
> You only need to use the lilypond uninstall script if you installed
> using Lilypond's shell installer -- the version bundled with Ubuntu
> Studio can be installed and uninstalled using Ubuntu's package
> management system.

Memo to self, read the _whole_ of other people's posts before
replying... It was one of those days :-(