Old 09-16-2008, 06:21 PM
ola subomi

Default video editing software in ubuntu studio

Please send me one.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Hartmut Noack

Old 09-17-2008, 12:36 PM
"Kim Burgess"

I'll have an avid workstation if you're offering to send them round, the ubuntu stickers would be cool too :P* .

Depending on the type an complexity of editing you are wanting to do there are a few options around. The 'mainstream' ones are Cinelarra, PiTiVi, Kino, and LiVES.

.................................................. ....
Kim Burgess

P +61 4 2339 9187
E contact@kimburgess.info
W www.kimburgess.info

Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Haig Dedeyan

Hartmut Noack wrote:

> ola subomi schrieb:
>
>> Please send me one.
>>

> What exactly are you trying to say by that? Shall we send you a
> Avid-Workstation with some Ubuntu Stickers for you fridge included or
> would you prefer the sources of cinelerra, so you can examine, debug,
> rework and install them....
>
> }:-]

Thank you for making me start my day with a good laugh.

Haig

Old 09-17-2008, 05:39 PM
SiteSide Hosting

ola subomi wrote:

Please send me one.

There is "KINO".

Old 09-18-2008, 08:19 AM
"Karoliina Salminen"

Hi,

I was trying to use Linux for video editing and got quite mixed
results. Actually only mencoder was
able to do anything for my HD video, and doing everything on command
line was quite painful, although possible (and it
is not that simple, you need to get some frauenhofer codecs first and
convert with those before you can use even the mencoder,
it is a 20 step command line process that only few dare to do).

Windows is no better, there is no software that would come for free
that would allow one to edit high definition videos,
and not all the commercial software even support AVCHD format. And on
the other hand, not an option for me, because
I don't use Windows.

The author of one open source video editing software said me when I
asked if he is going to support HD in the future:
"Buy a Mac". So I did and have been since editing my 1080p videos on
Mac with iMovie08.
Unfortunately it seems like the video editing scene on Linux seems
even more incomplete than the music side
and there would be room for a good open source project on that area if
someone is wondering what open source
project to start. There is increasingly demand for that but no choices
at the OSS world other than command line.
Even basic functionality that the iMovie08 offers, would be excellent.
Someone just needs to pick up the idea
and start coding, I think nothing prevents creating a similar program
than the iMovie08 or even better open source software
with AVCHD and HDV support which would run under Ubuntu Studio and
other Linux distributions.

Best Regards,
Karoliina