Old 09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Marlon Rodriguez Ramos

Default network

*i can't conect a laptop to interenet via router.
eth0 anly receive but can't send packages, what can i do???.

Cerokool * Frozen your life *

Old 01-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Ross Schoenauer

NETWORKING PROBLEM

I have 5 computers running a mix of ubuntu 9.10 and linux mint
Gloria on a wired home network. None of these computers will network
with each other. The all go on line and surf the web ok. When I click
the networking icon it will go to 'windows networking', and I click
that, which takes me to 'workgroup'. I click that and it states
'opening workgroup and then states 'unable to mount workgroup'. I can
ping all the other computers on my network.
I am stumped on what to do. Thanks for your help.

Ross Schoenauer ross_s@cmc.net

Old 01-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Johnneylee Rollins

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Ross Schoenauer <ross_s@cmc.net> wrote:

> * *NETWORKING PROBLEM
>
> * *I have 5 computers running a mix of *ubuntu 9.10 and linux mint
> Gloria on a wired home network. *None of these computers will network
> with each other. The all go on line and surf the web ok. *When I click
> the networking icon it will go to 'windows networking', and I click
> that, which takes me to 'workgroup'. *I click that and it states
> 'opening workgroup and then states 'unable to mount workgroup'. I can
> ping all the other computers on my network.
> I am stumped on what to do. *Thanks for your help.
You need samba installed.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

~SpaceGhost

Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Ross Schoenauer

Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Ross Schoenauer <ross_s@cmc.net> wrote:
>
>> NETWORKING PROBLEM
>>
>> I have 5 computers running a mix of ubuntu 9.10 and linux mint
>> Gloria on a wired home network. None of these computers will network
>> with each other. The all go on line and surf the web ok. When I click
>> the networking icon it will go to 'windows networking', and I click
>> that, which takes me to 'workgroup'. I click that and it states
>> 'opening workgroup and then states 'unable to mount workgroup'. I can
>> ping all the other computers on my network.
>> I am stumped on what to do. Thanks for your help.
>>
> You need samba installed.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
>
> ~SpaceGhost
>

>> Ross Schoenauer ross_s@cmc.net
>>
>> --

I installed samba "sudo apt-get install samba". On one of my computers
it removed a bunch of left over junk and then installed samba ok. Prity
much the same results as before. I have used ubuntu from the 7.xx days.
On those older systems net working worked right out of the box. I
always had a samba entry in system-administrator which I could click to
configure samba. The newer the system the harder it got to network. I
do not have a entry for samba in system-administrator on any of my
computers. The other computers all showed samba lnstalled and up to
date when I ran "sudo apt-get install samba".
Still stumped. Ross

Old 01-27-2010, 11:56 PM
NoOp

On 01/27/2010 04:31 PM, Ross Schoenauer wrote:
> Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Ross Schoenauer <ross_s@cmc.net> wrote:
>>
>>> NETWORKING PROBLEM
>>>
>>> I have 5 computers running a mix of ubuntu 9.10 and linux mint
>>> Gloria on a wired home network. None of these computers will network
>>> with each other. The all go on line and surf the web ok. When I click
>>> the networking icon it will go to 'windows networking', and I click
>>> that, which takes me to 'workgroup'. I click that and it states
>>> 'opening workgroup and then states 'unable to mount workgroup'. I can
>>> ping all the other computers on my network.
>>> I am stumped on what to do. Thanks for your help.
>>>
>> You need samba installed.
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
>>
> I installed samba "sudo apt-get install samba". On one of my computers
> it removed a bunch of left over junk and then installed samba ok. Prity
> much the same results as before. I have used ubuntu from the 7.xx days.
> On those older systems net working worked right out of the box. I
> always had a samba entry in system-administrator which I could click to
> configure samba. The newer the system the harder it got to network. I
> do not have a entry for samba in system-administrator on any of my
> computers. The other computers all showed samba lnstalled and up to
> date when I ran "sudo apt-get install samba".
> Still stumped. Ross

So do you have any shared folders? Open Nautilus, right-click on a
folder you wish to share, select Properties|Share and elect to 'Share
this folder'. Doesn't do any good to install samba if you've nothing to
share...

The newer the system/version the easier it is to perform samba sharing.
I've systems with Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic, Win2K, WinXP, and Win7 and can
honestly say that I have zero issues sharing amongst them with the
improvements in Karmic. I've not had to modify a samba config file since
Hardy/Intrepid - Samba does just work 'out-of-the-box' these days (in
karmic) IMO.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Christopher Chan

Man...why does not anyone suggest NFS???

Old 01-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Ross Schoenauer

NoOp wrote:
> On 01/27/2010 04:31 PM, Ross Schoenauer wrote:
>
>> Johnneylee Rollins wrote:

>>> You need samba installed.
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

>> I installed samba "sudo apt-get install samba". On one of my computers
>> it removed a bunch of left over junk and then installed samba ok. Prity
>> much the same results as before. I have used ubuntu from the 7.xx days.
>> On those older systems net working worked right out of the box. I
>> always had a samba entry in system-administrator which I could click to
>> configure samba. The newer the system the harder it got to network. I
>> do not have a entry for samba in system-administrator on any of my
>> computers. The other computers all showed samba lnstalled and up to
>> date when I ran "sudo apt-get install samba".
>> Still stumped. Ross
>>

> So do you have any shared folders? Open Nautilus, right-click on a
> folder you wish to share, select Properties|Share and elect to 'Share
> this folder'. Doesn't do any good to install samba if you've nothing to
> share...
>
> The newer the system/version the easier it is to perform samba sharing.
> I've systems with Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic, Win2K, WinXP, and Win7 and can
> honestly say that I have zero issues sharing amongst them with the
> improvements in Karmic. I've not had to modify a samba config file since
> Hardy/Intrepid - Samba does just work 'out-of-the-box' these days (in
> karmic) IMO.

Yes i have shared folders on all computers. Network will not see any
other computers. All I get is "unable to mount workgroup". This happens
with all of my computers.

????????????????? Ross.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 AM
NoOp

On 01/27/2010 05:07 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> Man...why does not anyone suggest NFS???

Because: 1) Ubuntu moved to samba as default with karmic, and 2) I've
never gotten NFS to work properly in a mixed OS environment... have you?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Tom H

> Man...why does not anyone suggest NFS???

Because Ubuntu defaults to samba, most probably to be easily
compatible with Win and Mac.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Tom H

>>> I installed samba "sudo apt-get install samba". On one of my computers
>>> it removed a bunch of left over junk and then installed samba ok. *Prity
>>> much the same results as before. I have used ubuntu from the 7.xx days.
>>> On those older systems net working worked right out of the box. *I
>>> always had *a samba entry in system-administrator which I could click to
>>> configure samba. *The newer the system the harder it got to network. *I
>>> do not have a entry for samba in system-administrator on any of my
>>> computers. The other computers all showed samba lnstalled and up to
>>> date when I ran "sudo apt-get install samba".

>> So do you have any shared folders? Open Nautilus, right-click on a
>> folder you wish to share, select Properties|Share and elect to 'Share
>> this folder'.

> Yes i have shared folders on all computers. *Network will not see any
> other computers.*All I get is "unable to mount workgroup". This happens
> with all of my computers.

Are all your boxes in the same workgroup?

Can you list the shares at the CLI?
With
smbclient -L <hostnetbios> -U <user>
or
smbclient -L -I <hostipaddress> -U <user>

Do you have samba users on your samba servers?