Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher

Default Network

Tom H wrote:
>>> OS X can handle NFS but far less easily than Samba. The file sharing
>>> GUI defaults to AFP and you can choose SMB in the options - but not
>>> NFS.
>
>>> I suspect that Ubuntu is mimicking OS X in its choice of Samba.
>
>> The OpenSolaris guys have gui tools to make stuff easily shared over NFS
>> and SMB...although I suspect the tools might be tied to zfs filesystems
>> only.
>
> I doubt that it is tied to ZFS. NFS is originally a Sun product so
> they (and I since I started out as a Solaris admin) have a soft spot
> for NFS, to say the least.
>
> I helped some OS X admins 6-7 years ago set up NFS on their servers
> and we ended up using a GUI shareware because the only other way was
> editing some xml crap.
>
> So a GUI is possible but 80%-90% of computers run Windows so it makes
> more sense to default to Samba.

Well, defaulting makes it sound as if there is GUI support in Ubuntu for
sharing via NFS. But that is not the case.

>>> Windows 7 is said to support NFS but, yes, previous versions need
>>> extra software for NFS.
>
>> Windows 7 supports NFS? Another reason for making sharing over NFS
>> easier I guess...
>
> I spoke/typed too quickly. It might not support NFS as a server; all
> that Google points me to is "Client for NFS."
>

> I suspect that you are opposed to Samba because of its MS SMB origin
> but it is rather unfair to the Samba devs. They have put together an
> excellent software package that is 100% *nix and simply uses the same
> network protocol as Microsoft.

Nothing to do with origin. When every os on the network, why use
smb/cifs instead of nfs?

Old 01-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Linda

Patton Echols wrote:
> On 01/27/2010 08:00 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>
>> Windows 7 supports NFS? Another reason for making sharing over NFS
>> easier I guess...
>>

> Per another thread this week, Win 7 support for NFS is only on the Pro
> version and IIRC, in an XP vm. (Yeah, sounded crazy to me too) No
> experience with it myself, but Probably don't want to jump in that
> direction w/o some research.

It is possible that Win 7 ultimate or Enterprise has real NFS client
support, but I bought Pro specifically because I was told it had NFS
client by 4 different sources and then after install when I couldn't
find it was told you had to access it in XP mode, not what I thought I
was buying!!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 PM

Linda wrote:
> Patton Echols wrote:
>> On 01/27/2010 08:00 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>>
>>> Windows 7 supports NFS? Another reason for making sharing over NFS
>>> easier I guess...
>>>

>> Per another thread this week, Win 7 support for NFS is only on the Pro
>> version and IIRC, in an XP vm. (Yeah, sounded crazy to me too) No
>> experience with it myself, but Probably don't want to jump in that
>> direction w/o some research.
>>

> It is possible that Win 7 ultimate or Enterprise has real NFS client
> support, but I bought Pro specifically because I was told it had NFS
> client by 4 different sources and then after install when I couldn't
> find it was told you had to access it in XP mode, not what I thought I
> was buying!!

From

http://sagehacks.wordpress.com/2009/01/21/howto-mount-nfs-shares-under-windows-7/

"On the Windows side, you mount an NFS export much like any other
network share, by issuing a command such as

mount [options] //nfs-server-unc-name/share-name [drive letter]

This is assuming, of course, that you’ve installed Client Services for
NFS under Windows. NFS support is one of those optional packages that is
available via the Add/Remove Software wizard in the Control Panel."

But only Ultimate and Enterprise apparently...

Old 06-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Hannu Virtanen

My laptop network system has been set to .local.

I did it such ways because at the time of the installation I had only mobile phone network system available.*

Nowadays I have got another tipy of network, too.

How can I configure the network to be more 'normal'?

with best,

-hv

P.S.

The network works with my new vdsl modem, but complaining about that .locl thing.*

Old 06-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Hannu Virtanen

I'm sorry for various typos.

I just updated the system and for some reason my spelling system didn't work.

Of course it should have been* 'I have got another type of network'...

with best,

-hv

Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Florian Reitmeir

Hi,

i really don't understand your problem.

- which version of Debian?
- which software-package is "complaining"?

greetings

--
Florian Reitmeir
E-Mail: florian@reitmeir.org

Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Hannu Virtanen

My debian system is the latest stable.

When connecting to my new wlan the system is complaining that the network system has been set to .local and it is not the recommend way.

The network works anyway.

I think that while I originally installed it I set the network .local, because I used the laptop with a mobile phone connection only.

I think that I should reconfigure the network system. How to do it?

Florian Reitmeir <florian@reitmeir.org>;