Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Patton Echols

Default Network

On 01/27/2010 08:00 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:

> Windows 7 supports NFS? Another reason for making sharing over NFS
> easier I guess...

Per another thread this week, Win 7 support for NFS is only on the Pro
version and IIRC, in an XP vm. (Yeah, sounded crazy to me too) No
experience with it myself, but Probably don't want to jump in that
direction w/o some research.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Patton Echols

On 01/27/2010 07:17 PM, Ross Schoenauer wrote:

> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L acermint -u ross

Try -U not -u

Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Chris G

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 05:14:32PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 01/27/2010 05:07 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> > Man...why does not anyone suggest NFS???
> >

> Because: 1) Ubuntu moved to samba as default with karmic, and 2) I've
> never gotten NFS to work properly in a mixed OS environment... have you?

What sort of mixed OS? I use nfs with a Western Digital NAS, far
easier to actually use once it's set up.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Ross Schoenauer

Patton Echols wrote:
> On 01/27/2010 07:17 PM, Ross Schoenauer wrote:
>
>> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L acermint -u ross
>>

> Try -U not -u
>
> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L acermint -U ross
> Enter ross's password:
> Connection to acermint failed (Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $

Ross

Old 01-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Ross Schoenauer

Old 01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Tom H

>> OS X can handle NFS but far less easily than Samba. The file sharing
>> GUI defaults to AFP and you can choose SMB in the options - but not
>> NFS.

>> I suspect that Ubuntu is mimicking OS X in its choice of Samba.

> The OpenSolaris guys have gui tools to make stuff easily shared over NFS
> and SMB...although I suspect the tools might be tied to zfs filesystems
> only.

I doubt that it is tied to ZFS. NFS is originally a Sun product so
they (and I since I started out as a Solaris admin) have a soft spot
for NFS, to say the least.

I helped some OS X admins 6-7 years ago set up NFS on their servers
and we ended up using a GUI shareware because the only other way was
editing some xml crap.

So a GUI is possible but 80%-90% of computers run Windows so it makes
more sense to default to Samba.

>>> Windows does not have builtin NFS support, I will give you that.

>>> So I fail to see why we cannot use a 'native' solution like NFS.

>> Windows 7 is said to support NFS but, yes, previous versions need
>> extra software for NFS.

> Windows 7 supports NFS? Another reason for making sharing over NFS
> easier I guess...

I spoke/typed too quickly. It might not support NFS as a server; all
that Google points me to is "Client for NFS."

I suspect that you are opposed to Samba because of its MS SMB origin
but it is rather unfair to the Samba devs. They have put together an
excellent software package that is 100% *nix and simply uses the same
network protocol as Microsoft.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Tom H

>> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L acermint -u ross

> Try -U not -u

Oops. Thanks!

"U" became "u" as my night-shift was coming to an end...

Old 01-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Tom H

>>> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L acermint -u ross

>> Try -U not -u

>> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L acermint -U ross
>> Enter ross's password:
>> Connection to acermint failed (Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
>> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $

There may be other reasons because this is a generic error (!) but I
suspect that either (1) your smb.conf is incorrect or (2) you do not
have ross as a user or as a Samba user on acermint or (3) acermint is
on another subnet.

For (1), on acermint, run
testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
(or whatever the path to smb.conf is on acermint)

For (2), on acermint, run
grep ross /etc/passwd
and
pdbedit -Lw | grep ross

For (3), on Mint8Quad64, run
smbclient -L -I ipaddressofacermint -U ross

Old 01-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 27 January 2010 5:19:03 pm Tom H wrote:
> > Man...why does not anyone suggest NFS???
>
> Because Ubuntu defaults to samba, most probably to be easily
> compatible with Win and Mac.

What can you do to keep windoze and Mac out of your network? That is what is
needed most.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Ross Schoenauer

Tom H wrote:

>>> Try -U not -u
>>>

>>> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L acermint -U ross
>>> Enter ross's password:
>>> Connection to acermint failed (Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
>>> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $
>>>

> There may be other reasons because this is a generic error (!) but I
> suspect that either (1) your smb.conf is incorrect or (2) you do not
> have ross as a user or as a Samba user on acermint or (3) acermint is
> on another subnet.
>
> For (1), on acermint, run
> testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
> (or whatever the path to smb.conf is on acermint)
>
> For (2), on acermint, run
> grep ross /etc/passwd
> and
> pdbedit -Lw | grep ross
>
> For (3), on Mint8Quad64, run
> smbclient -L -I ipaddressofacermint -U ross

This is getting too complicated. I will forgo network for now. I want to
thank ALL of you for your help. I did get "connect to a remote computer
or shared disk" to work, so will use this. Thank you again.
Ross Schoenauer