Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 AM
NoOp

Default Network

On 01/27/2010 05:11 PM, Ross Schoenauer wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> So do you have any shared folders? Open Nautilus, right-click on a
>> folder you wish to share, select Properties|Share and elect to 'Share
>> this folder'. Doesn't do any good to install samba if you've nothing to
>> share...
>>
>> The newer the system/version the easier it is to perform samba sharing.
>> I've systems with Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic, Win2K, WinXP, and Win7 and can
>> honestly say that I have zero issues sharing amongst them with the
>> improvements in Karmic. I've not had to modify a samba config file since
>> Hardy/Intrepid - Samba does just work 'out-of-the-box' these days (in
>> karmic) IMO.

> Yes i have shared folders on all computers. Network will not see any
> other computers. All I get is "unable to mount workgroup". This happens
> with all of my computers.
>
> ????????????????? Ross.

All on the same subnet? You said you could ping all the others; how
about if you use (in Nautilus):
smb://<ipaddressofothercomputer>
can you see it then?

If not, were I you I'd just simply:

$ sudo apt-get purge samba

on all the 9.10's & start over. Properties|Share and elect to 'Share
this folder' and let Nautilus do the work of installing & setting the
folder sharing. Note: you may have to reboot/logout-in to get the
settings to take effect. Before you do that, check to see if samba is
actually running on the machines:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/samba status
* nmbd is running
* smbd is running

or

$ service samba status
* nmbd is running
* smbd is running

Put all of them on the same workgroup (default is generally mshome).

Old 01-28-2010, 12:55 AM
Ross Schoenauer

Tom H wrote:

>>> So do you have any shared folders? Open Nautilus, right-click on a
>>> folder you wish to share, select Properties|Share and elect to 'Share
>>> this folder'.
>>>

>> Yes i have shared folders on all computers. Network will not see any
>> other computers. All I get is "unable to mount workgroup". This happens
>> with all of my computers.
>>

> Are all your boxes in the same workgroup?
>
> Can you list the shares at the CLI?
> With
> smbclient -L <hostnetbios> -U <user>
> or
> smbclient -L -I <hostipaddress> -U <user>
>
> Do you have samba users on your samba servers?

Both of the above returned---

ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L <hostnetbios> -U <user>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L -I <hostipaddress> -U <user>
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $

ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/samba status
* nmbd is running
* smbd is running
ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ service samba status
* nmbd is running
* smbd is running
ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $

Ross

Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 AM
Tom H

>> Are all your boxes in the same workgroup?

>> Can you list the shares at the CLI?
>> With
>> smbclient -L <hostnetbios> -U <user>
>> or
>> smbclient -L -I <hostipaddress> -U <user>

>> Do you have samba users on your samba servers?

> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L <hostnetbios> -U <user>
> bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L -I <hostipaddress> -U <user>
> bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $

Sorry. Please replace:
<hostnetbios> by the netbiosname of the samba server that you are
trying to access
<hostipaddress> by the ip address of the samba server that you are
trying to access
<user> by the username of the samba user who is accessing the share

Old 01-28-2010, 01:46 AM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 09:14 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 01/27/2010 05:07 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> Man...why does not anyone suggest NFS???
>>

> Because: 1) Ubuntu moved to samba as default with karmic, and 2) I've
> never gotten NFS to work properly in a mixed OS environment... have you?

Wait, wait...I don't remember anything in the post about Windows?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 AM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 09:19 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> Man...why does not anyone suggest NFS???
>
> Because Ubuntu defaults to samba, most probably to be easily
> compatible with Win and Mac.

Cool. Mac OS X is UNIX certified. Somehow, I doubt that it cannot handle
NFS...

Windows does not have builtin NFS support, I will give you that.

So I fail to see why we cannot use a 'native' solution like NFS.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:17 AM
Ross Schoenauer

Tom H wrote:
>>> Are all your boxes in the same workgroup?
>>>

>>> Can you list the shares at the CLI?
>>> With
>>> smbclient -L <hostnetbios> -U <user>
>>> or
>>> smbclient -L -I <hostipaddress> -U <user>
>>>

>>> Do you have samba users on your samba servers?
>>>

>> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L <hostnetbios> -U <user>
>> bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
>> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L -I <hostipaddress> -U <user>
>> bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
>> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $
>>

> Sorry. Please replace:
> <hostnetbios> by the netbiosname of the samba server that you are
> trying to access
> <hostipaddress> by the ip address of the samba server that you are
> trying to access
> <user> by the username of the samba user who is accessing the share

ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L acermint -u ross

ross: Not enough ' characters in service
Usage: smbclient [-?EgBVNkPe] [-?|--help] [--usage]
[-R|--name-resolve=NAME-RESOLVE-ORDER] [-M|--message=HOST]
[-I|--ip-address=IP] [-E|--stderr] [-L|--list=HOST]
[-t|--terminal=CODE] [-m|--max-protocol=LEVEL]
[-T|--tar=<c|x>IXFqgbNan] [-D|--directory=DIR] [-c|--command=STRING]
[-b|--send-buffer=BYTES] [-p|--port=PORT] [-g|--grepable]
[-B|--browse] [-d|--debuglevel=DEBUGLEVEL]
[-s|--configfile=CONFIGFILE] [-l|--log-basename=LOGFILEBASE]
[-V|--version] [-O|--socket-options=SOCKETOPTIONS]
[-n|--netbiosname=NETBIOSNAME] [-W|--workgroup=WORKGROUP]
[-i|--scope=SCOPE] [-U|--user=USERNAME] [-N|--no-pass]
[-k|--kerberos] [-A|--authentication-file=FILE]
[-S|--signing=on|off|required] [-P|--machine-pass] [-e|--encrypt]
service <password>
ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $

Is this the info. you wanted.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 AM
Tom H

>>> Man...why does not anyone suggest NFS???

>> Because Ubuntu defaults to samba, most probably to be easily
>> compatible with Win and Mac.

> Cool. Mac OS X is UNIX certified. Somehow, I doubt that it cannot handle
> NFS...

OS X can handle NFS but far less easily than Samba. The file sharing
GUI defaults to AFP and you can choose SMB in the options - but not
NFS.

I suspect that Ubuntu is mimicking OS X in its choice of Samba.

> Windows does not have builtin NFS support, I will give you that.

> So I fail to see why we cannot use a 'native' solution like NFS.

Windows 7 is said to support NFS but, yes, previous versions need
extra software for NFS.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Tom H

> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L acermint -u ross
> ross: Not enough ' characters in service

smbclient -L //acermint -u ross

Old 01-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Tom H

> ross@Mint8Quad64 ~ $ smbclient -L acermint -u ross
> ross: Not enough ' characters in service

smbclient -L //acermint -u ross
or
smbclient -L \acermint -u ross

Old 01-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:19 AM, Tom H wrote:

>>> Because Ubuntu defaults to samba, most probably to be easily
>>> compatible with Win and Mac.
>
>> Cool. Mac OS X is UNIX certified. Somehow, I doubt that it cannot handle
>> NFS...
>
> OS X can handle NFS but far less easily than Samba. The file sharing
> GUI defaults to AFP and you can choose SMB in the options - but not
> NFS.
>
> I suspect that Ubuntu is mimicking OS X in its choice of Samba.

The OpenSolaris guys have gui tools to make stuff easily shared over NFS
and SMB...although I suspect the tools might be tied to zfs filesystems
only.

>> Windows does not have builtin NFS support, I will give you that.
>
>> So I fail to see why we cannot use a 'native' solution like NFS.
>
> Windows 7 is said to support NFS but, yes, previous versions need
> extra software for NFS.

Windows 7 supports NFS? Another reason for making sharing over NFS
easier I guess...