Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 AM
"Brian Berry"

Default Audio Recording in Ubuntu Studio: Hints and Tips

NB: This email and its contents are subject to the Eskom Holdings Limited EMAIL LEGAL NOTICE

which can be viewed at http://www.eskom.co.za/email_legalnotice

Hi,

*

I am the author of a blog related purely to recording and playing music with Ubuntu Studio and Freeware. The name of the blog is Brian's Bedroom - please feel free to check it out at the following address: http://briansbedroom.blogspot.com/.

*

Regards,

Brian

Old 09-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Brian Berry wrote:
> NB: This email and its contents are subject to the Eskom Holdings
> Limited EMAIL LEGAL NOTICE which can be viewed at
> http://www.eskom.co.za/email_legalnotice

> Hi,
>
> I am the author of a blog related purely to recording and playing music
> with Ubuntu Studio and Freeware. The name of the blog is Brian's Bedroom
> - please feel free to check it out at the following address:
> http://briansbedroom.blogspot.com/.
>
> Regards,
> Brian

That's terrific, Brian. I shall pop over to check it out today,
probably at lunch time.

FYI, a recent (August 2008) issue of "Computer Music" (out of the
UK for those that don't read it) had a nice look at Ubuntu Studio
on Hardy with very positive comments.
NP: Tangerine Dream "Phaedra"

Old 09-08-2008, 09:51 AM
"Luis de Bethencourt"

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
<sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
> Brian Berry wrote:
>> NB: This email and its contents are subject to the Eskom Holdings
>> Limited EMAIL LEGAL NOTICE which can be viewed at
>> http://www.eskom.co.za/email_legalnotice

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am the author of a blog related purely to recording and playing music
>> with Ubuntu Studio and Freeware. The name of the blog is Brian's Bedroom
>> - please feel free to check it out at the following address:
>> http://briansbedroom.blogspot.com/.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Brian
>
> That's terrific, Brian. I shall pop over to check it out today,
> probably at lunch time.
>
> FYI, a recent (August 2008) issue of "Computer Music" (out of the
> UK for those that don't read it) had a nice look at Ubuntu Studio
> on Hardy with very positive comments.
> --

Really? I _so_ desire a copy of that. Anybody has it and can scan it?

Luis

> Cheers, SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man
> Systems Theory internet music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
> on MySpace: <www.myspace.com/systemstheory>
> on Last FM: <www.last.fm/music/Systems+Theory>
> get "Codetalkers" *free* at <www.mikedickson.org.uk/codetalkers>
> NP: Tangerine Dream "Phaedra"

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerá
luisbg
<luisbg@ubuntu.com>
GPG: B0ED1326

Old 09-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
> <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
>> Brian Berry wrote:
>>> NB: This email and its contents are subject to the Eskom
>>> Holdings Limited EMAIL LEGAL NOTICE which can be viewed at
>>> http://www.eskom.co.za/email_legalnotice

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am the author of a blog related purely to recording and
>>> playing music with Ubuntu Studio and Freeware. The name of the
>>> blog is Brian's Bedroom - please feel free to check it out at
>>> the following address: http://briansbedroom.blogspot.com/.
>>>
>>> Regards, Brian
>> That's terrific, Brian. I shall pop over to check it out today,
>> probably at lunch time.
>>
>> FYI, a recent (August 2008) issue of "Computer Music" (out of the
>> UK for those that don't read it) had a nice look at Ubuntu
>> Studio on Hardy with very positive comments. --
>
> Really? I _so_ desire a copy of that. Anybody has it and can scan
> it?
>
> Luis

I can scan it today. It's a "surface" look, but it is 6 pages long,
and very complimentary about the professional quality and wide range
of apps available on Ubuntu Studio. I think that's something that they
weren't quite expecting (how professional everything is). While it
only scratches the surface in looking at apps, it's still a good
calling card for Ubuntu Studio.

The new issue of CM just came out a couple of days ago. It has a
letter to the editor from an aspiring musician who was so excited
about what he read that he tried Ubuntu Studio, ditched his Windows
setup, and is a convert. I'm going to send them a letter myself this
week applauding them for the coverage, and point them to some
web-links like Brian's Bedroom Blog -- things that might be really
useful and helpful. Plus telling them about this list, of course.
NP: Golden Earring "Moontan"

Old 09-09-2008, 12:50 PM
"Luis de Bethencourt"

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
<sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
> Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
>> <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:

>>> That's terrific, Brian. I shall pop over to check it out today,
>>> probably at lunch time.
>>>
>>> FYI, a recent (August 2008) issue of "Computer Music" (out of the
>>> UK for those that don't read it) had a nice look at Ubuntu
>>> Studio on Hardy with very positive comments. --
>>
>> Really? I _so_ desire a copy of that. Anybody has it and can scan
>> it?
>>
>> Luis
>
> I can scan it today. It's a "surface" look, but it is 6 pages long,
> and very complimentary about the professional quality and wide range
> of apps available on Ubuntu Studio. I think that's something that they
> weren't quite expecting (how professional everything is). While it
> only scratches the surface in looking at apps, it's still a good
> calling card for Ubuntu Studio.
>
> The new issue of CM just came out a couple of days ago. It has a
> letter to the editor from an aspiring musician who was so excited
> about what he read that he tried Ubuntu Studio, ditched his Windows
> setup, and is a convert. I'm going to send them a letter myself this
> week applauding them for the coverage, and point them to some
> web-links like Brian's Bedroom Blog -- things that might be really
> useful and helpful. Plus telling them about this list, of course.
> --

Fantastic! This makes me happy.

Please scan that. I will try to see if I can find a copy of it in a
big news shop this evening, but I am not sure they will have the old
number.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 PM
"Luis de Bethencourt"

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Luis de Bethencourt <luisbg@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
> <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
>> Luis de Bethencourt wrote:

>>> Really? I _so_ desire a copy of that. Anybody has it and can scan
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Luis
>>
>> I can scan it today. It's a "surface" look, but it is 6 pages long,
>> and very complimentary about the professional quality and wide range
>> of apps available on Ubuntu Studio. I think that's something that they
>> weren't quite expecting (how professional everything is). While it
>> only scratches the surface in looking at apps, it's still a good
>> calling card for Ubuntu Studio.
>>
>> The new issue of CM just came out a couple of days ago. It has a
>> letter to the editor from an aspiring musician who was so excited
>> about what he read that he tried Ubuntu Studio, ditched his Windows
>> setup, and is a convert. I'm going to send them a letter myself this
>> week applauding them for the coverage, and point them to some
>> web-links like Brian's Bedroom Blog -- things that might be really
>> useful and helpful. Plus telling them about this list, of course.
>> --
>
> Fantastic! This makes me happy.
>
> Please scan that. I will try to see if I can find a copy of it in a
> big news shop this evening, but I am not sure they will have the old
> number.
>
> Luis

Ohh... and send it to the list with a new topic. There will be more
people interested and "Audio Recording in Ubuntu Studio: Hints and
Tips" is kinda off-topic.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Luis de Bethencourt <luisbg@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
>> <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:

>>> I can scan it today. It's a "surface" look, but it is 6 pages long,
>>> and very complimentary about the professional quality and wide range
>>> of apps available on Ubuntu Studio. I think that's something that they
>>> weren't quite expecting (how professional everything is). While it
>>> only scratches the surface in looking at apps, it's still a good
>>> calling card for Ubuntu Studio.
>>>
>>> The new issue of CM just came out a couple of days ago. It has a
>>> letter to the editor from an aspiring musician who was so excited
>>> about what he read that he tried Ubuntu Studio, ditched his Windows
>>> setup, and is a convert. I'm going to send them a letter myself this
>>> week applauding them for the coverage, and point them to some
>>> web-links like Brian's Bedroom Blog -- things that might be really
>>> useful and helpful. Plus telling them about this list, of course.
>>> --
>> Fantastic! This makes me happy.
>>
>> Please scan that. I will try to see if I can find a copy of it in a
>> big news shop this evening, but I am not sure they will have the old
>> number.
>>
>> Luis
>>

> Ohh... and send it to the list with a new topic. There will be more
> people interested and "Audio Recording in Ubuntu Studio: Hints and
> Tips" is kinda off-topic.
>
> Luis
>
>>> Cheers, SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man
>>> Systems Theory internet music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
>>> on MySpace: <www.myspace.com/systemstheory>
>>> on Last FM: <www.last.fm/music/Systems+Theory>
>>> get "Codetalkers" *free* at <www.mikedickson.org.uk/codetalkers>
>>> NP: Golden Earring "Moontan"
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Luis de Bethencourt Guimer�
>> luisbg
>> <luisbg@ubuntu.com>
>> GPG: B0ED1326

Absolutely. I'll send it on as 6 reasonably sized but still decent
looking jpegs this morning.

BTW, if you try to find the issue of CM it's #129 called "Summer
2008". It has "LFOS & ENVELOPES" on the cover, plus "Ubuntu Studio"
on the cover in smaller letters.
NP: nothing