Old 09-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Matthew Polashek

Default using Rosengarten, cutting .wave

Eva Vossmerbäumer wrote:
> *Hello everyone!
>
> I am Eva, new here, a violinist wanting to use those wonderful Ubuntu
> tools to be able to tinker with the music recordings I have just made
> with a guitarrist.
>
> I need to first of all cut a large wave file into separate pieces....
>
> (As you might notice, I am pioneering the use of creative media
> software - but maybe one of you has a helpful push for me?!)
>
> So I downloaded the program * Rosengarten *...
> .wave does not seem to be supported in there.
> Do I need another sequencing program, in order to simply cut that wave
> file?
> Which one?
>
> And Rosengarten (I might want to use it for other things) tells me to
> run the JACK server.
> In which settings do I find him...? Help Ubuntu does not give me any
> result for JACK.
>
> I anybody knows, or just works with Rosengarten himself, or knows
> anything else, I am very grateful to know.
> Thank you a lot,
>
> and greetings from New York,
> Eva*

Hi Eva-

What version of Ubuntu are you running? If you are running the regular
ubuntu, you have some work ahead of you to get Rosegarden working
smoothly. I would suggest cross-grading to Ubuntu studio.

Greetings form across the Hudson
Matt

Old 09-01-2008, 11:40 PM
"Christian Masser"

Hi,

if you simply want to cut the wave-file into several pieces you can use
audacity. Just import the file there, select the part you want to seperate
and do "file"->"export selection".

greetings from austria
christian

Old 09-01-2008, 11:56 PM

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 01:40:50 +0200
"Christian Masser" <christian_masser@gmx.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if you simply want to cut the wave-file into several pieces you can
> use audacity. Just import the file there, select the part you want to
> seperate and do "file"->"export selection".
>
> greetings from austria
> christian

I can second that, something like Audacity is the easier solution, it's
easier to learn, somewhat better suited for this task and doesn't
require jack.

On the other hand, Rosegarden has a rather good manual and tutorials.
The What you are looking for can be found here:
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/doc/en/segment-view-audio-segments.html
Note that you'll still need to install/configure/run jack for this to
work.

Here are links to more resources for Rosegarden:
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/resources/

Best regards,
Philipp

Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 AM