Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 PM
"Paul DeShaw"

Default FireWire drive access gone

"Paul DeShaw"wrote:

Greetings,

Although I have a USB interface, sometimes I like to do a little editing or

scratchpad recording directly into the laptop, without bulky equipment and

associated cords and power supplies. *I have experimented with it, and so

far, I can record in Ardour, but I can't play anything back.
I tried opening the session I recorded last night, and suddenly the whole drive is inaccessable.* This is with the same machine and OS I recorded the session with.

Raw 1394 is enabled in Ubuntu Studio controls.

The drive is called PPA1.2 . I recorded the session whole_scratchpad into the folder Ardour sessions. Terminal output [edited]:

pad@MacBuntu:~$ ls -l /media

drwxrwxrwx 1 root root** 20 2008-08-10 12:36 PPA1.2

pad@MacBuntu:~$ ls -l /media/PPA1.2
drwxrwxrwx 1* 99* 99******* 13 2008-08-19 23:19 Ardour sessions

pad@MacBuntu:~$ ls -l /media/PPA1.2/Ardour sessions

drwxr-xrwx 1* 99* 99 12 2008-08-24 01:03 whole_scratchpad

Looks like anyone should be able to open it, right?* I don't know what to change.* I started the session in Mac OS, then I rebooted into Ubuntu Studio.* I had to change the permissions to get in, which I did with sudo nautilus.* Then I was able to record more audio.* I think I remember closing and opening that session several times without a problem.* The next day, I can't open anything, but the file permissions look fine in the terminal. Other sesssions I had access to are now closed, as well.* If I open sudo nautilis again, I find root is the owner and group.* It says root can create and delete files under "folder access", but under file access it just says "---"* If I try to give root read and write access under "folder access",* read and write is not listed.* Under "file access", I can change it, but if I close and reopen the window, it is back to "---"

How do I fix this?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Gustin Johnson

Paul DeShaw wrote:

> "Paul DeShaw"wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Although I have a USB interface, sometimes I like to do a little
> editing or
> scratchpad recording directly into the laptop, without bulky
> equipment and
> associated cords and power supplies. I have experimented with it,
> and so
> far, I can record in Ardour, but I can't play anything back.
>

> I tried opening the session I recorded last night, and suddenly the
> whole drive is inaccessable. This is with the same machine and OS I
> recorded the session with.
>
> Raw 1394 is enabled in Ubuntu Studio controls.
>
> The drive is called PPA1.2 . I recorded the session whole_scratchpad
> into the folder Ardour sessions. Terminal output [edited]:
>
> pad@MacBuntu:~$ ls -l /media
> drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2008-08-10 12:36 PPA1.2
>
> pad@MacBuntu:~$ ls -l /media/PPA1.2
> drwxrwxrwx 1 99 99 13 2008-08-19 23:19 Ardour sessions
>
> pad@MacBuntu:~$ ls -l /media/PPA1.2/Ardour sessions
> drwxr-xrwx 1 99 99 12 2008-08-24 01:03 whole_scratchpad
>
> Looks like anyone should be able to open it, right? I don't know what
> to change. I started the session in Mac OS, then I rebooted into Ubuntu
> Studio. I had to change the permissions to get in, which I did with
> sudo nautilus. Then I was able to record more audio. I think I
> remember closing and opening that session several times without a
> problem. The next day, I can't open anything, but the file permissions
> look fine in the terminal. Other sesssions I had access to are now
> closed, as well. If I open sudo nautilis again, I find root is the
> owner and group. It says root can create and delete files under "folder
> access", but under file access it just says "---" If I try to give root
> read and write access under "folder access", read and write is not
> listed. Under "file access", I can change it, but if I close and reopen
> the window, it is back to "---"
>
> How do I fix this?

sudo find /path/to/drive/mount/point -type d -exec chmod 0666 {} ;

This is assuming that there are no other problems with the drive. I
would unmount and check the disk for inconsistancies.

You also did not mention what file system this drive is using. That
might help us to diagnose the problem as well.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:10 AM
"Paul DeShaw"

On August 25, Gustin Johnson wrote:

> * * "Paul DeShaw"wrote:

> How do I fix this?

sudo find /path/to/drive/mount/point -type d -exec chmod 0666 {} ;

This is assuming that there are no other problems with the drive. *I

would unmount and check the disk for inconsistancies.

You also did not mention *what file system this drive is using. *That

might help us to diagnose the problem as well.
Hello,

Thanks for answering.* I finally got some time to work on this.* I'm fuzzy on the concept of mount point.* My Googling hasn't helped me find the path and mount point to the drive.* If I use ls /media the drive is directly below /media, so I tried using /media/PPA1 in the command:

pad@MacBuntu:~$ sudo find /media/PPA1 -type d -exec chmod 0666 {} ;
[sudo] password for pad:
find: /media/PPA1: No such file or directory

You also said to check the drive for problems; I'm not sure how to do that.

I chose to use a non-journaled HFS+ file system so I could share the drive between Mac and Linux systems without the file size limitation that FAT2 imposes.* This was working pretty well for a while.

The idea was to use my Mac laptop in the field, but still be able to open the Ardour sessions with my Linux desktop.* Now that I have Ubuntu Studio on the laptop as well, it's kind of moot.* Maybe it's best to back up the files, reformat the disk ext3, and put the files back. (Recall that the disk is readable, just not writable).* OTOH I see value in learning about interoperability betwen Linux and Mac OS, since I might want to collaborate with a Mac user.

--Paul

Old 09-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Gustin Johnson

Paul DeShaw wrote:

> Thanks for answering. I finally got some time to work on this. I'm
> fuzzy on the concept of mount point. My Googling hasn't helped me find
> the path and mount point to the drive. If I use ls /media the drive is
> directly below /media, so I tried using /media/PPA1 in the command:

Mount point is where you access the drive on your filesystem. In the
Windows world this is a drive letter (although you can mount a file
system in a directly on the last two versions of Windows). So, you have
a device, say /dev/sdb, on it is one partition, say /dev/sdb1, on that
partition you have a file system (HFS in your case, ext2 on my flash
drives, ext3 on my USB hard drives). In order for you to access the
files in that filesystem, you have to mount the drive. Typically Ubuntu
does this automatically in /media

> pad@MacBuntu:~$ sudo find /media/PPA1 -type d -exec chmod 0666 {} ;
> [sudo] password for pad:
> find: /media/PPA1: No such file or directory

Do a "df -Th" from the command line. This will show you what is mounted
where, and with what filesystem. What do you see?

The no such file or directory usually means that the directory you
specified (PPA1) does not exist.

> You also said to check the drive for problems; I'm not sure how to do that.

I am not sure if Ubuntu can do this for HFS file systems (the machine I
am on right now does not have support for HFS). Typically you would use
fsck. I know what filesystems I use so the syntax I use below will not
work exactly as is for you.

fsck.ext3 -cfv /dev/sdb1

> I chose to use a non-journaled HFS+ file system so I could share the
> drive between Mac and Linux systems without the file size limitation
> that FAT2 imposes. This was working pretty well for a while.

Do Macs support ext2 or 3? This is a better choice IMO. I know that
there is a decent Windows driver for Ext2/3 and is why I use it.

> The idea was to use my Mac laptop in the field, but still be able to
> open the Ardour sessions with my Linux desktop. Now that I have Ubuntu
> Studio on the laptop as well, it's kind of moot. Maybe it's best to
> back up the files, reformat the disk ext3, and put the files back.
> (Recall that the disk is readable, just not writable). OTOH I see value
> in learning about interoperability betwen Linux and Mac OS, since I
> might want to collaborate with a Mac user.

I exchange files with a Mac user regularly. Usually I get a bunch of
PCM Wav files or FLAC files on a DVD that I then import. Sometimes he
just copies them to my laptop via Samba. I have personally had poor
experiences with HFS, so I avoid it. Interoperability over the network
is usually fine though either via Samba or an SFTP client (ssh file
transfer, not FTPS which is FTP + SSL/TLS).

Old 09-14-2008, 07:14 PM
"Paul DeShaw"

On*Sun, 07 Sep 2008,* Gustin Johnson wrote:
*

Paul DeShaw wrote:<snip>

> pad@MacBuntu:~$ sudo find /media/PPA1 -type d -exec chmod 0666 {} ;

> [sudo] password for pad:

> find: /media/PPA1: No such file or directory

Do a "df -Th" from the command line. *This will show you what is mounted

where, and with what filesystem. *What do you see?
Oddly, enough, when I tried to get help at my local LUG meeting yesterday, the drive opened fine with the laptop, and when I tried it at home, I could open Ardour sessions recorded in MacOSX, not without problems (more on that later).* As for the "df-Th" command,

pad@Studio909:~$ df-Th
bash: df-Th: command not found

Maybe there's a package I need to install?

The no such file or directory usually means that the directory you

specified (PPA1) does not exist.
But I can navigate to it in the file browser, and from the command line:
pad@Studio909:~$ cd /media/PPA1.2
pad@Studio909:/media/PPA1.2$
pad@Studio909:/media/PPA1.2$ ls

Ardour sessions* Desktop DF***** line_in************* Sony DVD
Audio*********** dyne-2.5.2.iso* MIDI**************** soon_C.aup
Desktop DB****** gfg************ Rosegarden Sessions* soon_C_data

*

> You also said to check the drive for problems; I'm not sure how to do that.

I am not sure if Ubuntu can do this for HFS file systems...
Apparently not, unless the command is different:
*
pad@Studio909:/$ fsck.hfs+ -cfv /dev/sdb1
bash: fsck.hfs+: command not found

*

Do Macs support ext2 or 3? *This is a better choice IMO.*
AFAIK they don't.*
*

I exchange files with a Mac user regularly. *Usually I get a bunch of

PCM Wav files or FLAC files on a DVD that I then import. *Sometimes he

just copies them to my laptop via Samba. *I have personally had poor

experiences with HFS, so I avoid it. *Interoperability over the network

is usually fine though either via Samba or an SFTP client (ssh file

transfer, not FTPS which is FTP + SSL/TLS).
I was hoping to have full access to the Ardour sessions on either system.

Now, suddenly, without changing anything, I can open an Ardour session* that was recorded in Mac OSX, along with anything else on the drive.* I can play back the tracks, and record a new track.* However, when I try to record something on a track created on the Mac, I get these errors from Ardour:

[ERROR]: AudioEngine: cannot connect coreaudio:Built-in Inputut1 (coreaudio:Built-in Inputut1) to ardour:master/in 1 (ardour:master/in 1)
[ERROR]: AudioSource: cannot open peakpath (c) "/media/PPA1.2/Ardour sessions/blabla/peaks/AbacuaClp-2%A.peak" (Permission denied)

[ERROR]: AbacuaClp-2.wav: could not write peak file data (Bad file descriptor)

Looks like AudioEngine doesn't know to look for ALSA, though I'm hearing and recording tracks.* Also looks like I don't have recursive permissions for the whole directory.* I don't know what the bad file descriptor is about.

Maybe I should give up on OSX for now, since I have installed Ubuntu Studio on both machines.* Still, it would be nice to work on sessions with a Mac user, there are lots of them.* I kinda thought it would be possible, since the OS's are both Unix or Unix-like systems.

--PD

*

Old 09-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Sergio Bello

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 12:14 -0700, Paul DeShaw wrote:

> [...] As for the "df-Th" command,
>
> pad@Studio909:~$ df-Th
> bash: df-Th: command not found
>
> Maybe there's a package I need to install?

The command is 'df', whereas '-Th' are just parameters to the command.
Just put a space between 'df' and '-Th', like:

df<SPACE>-Th

Sergio

Old 09-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Gustin Johnson

Paul DeShaw wrote:

> Do a "df -Th" from the command line. This will show you what is
> mounted where, and with what filesystem. What do you see?
>

> Oddly, enough, when I tried to get help at my local LUG meeting
> yesterday, the drive opened fine with the laptop, and when I tried it
> at home, I could open Ardour sessions recorded in MacOSX, not without
> problems (more on that later). As for the "df-Th" command,
>
> pad@Studio909:~$ df-Th bash: df-Th: command not found
>
> Maybe there's a package I need to install?

There is a space in there. A copy and paste would have worked as well.
df <space> -TH

> Do Macs support ext2 or 3? This is a better choice IMO.
>

> AFAIK they don't.

That is a shame. Even Windows has an ext2/3 driver.

> I exchange files with a Mac user regularly. Usually I get a bunch of
> PCM Wav files or FLAC files on a DVD that I then import. Sometimes
> he just copies them to my laptop via Samba. I have personally had
> poor experiences with HFS, so I avoid it. Interoperability over the
> network is usually fine though either via Samba or an SFTP client
> (ssh file transfer, not FTPS which is FTP + SSL/TLS).
>

> I was hoping to have full access to the Ardour sessions on either
> system.
>
> Now, suddenly, without changing anything, I can open an Ardour
> session that was recorded in Mac OSX, along with anything else on the
> drive. I can play back the tracks, and record a new track. However,
> when I try to record something on a track created on the Mac, I get
> these errors from Ardour:
>
> [ERROR]: AudioEngine: cannot connect coreaudio:Built-in Inputut1
> (coreaudio:Built-in Inputut1) to ardour:master/in 1
> (ardour:master/in 1) [ERROR]: AudioSource: cannot open peakpath (c)
> "/media/PPA1.2/Ardour sessions/blabla/peaks/AbacuaClp-2%A.peak"
> (Permission denied)

Here is a clue as to what is going on. Above and below it is saying
that it is getting a permission denied on the filesystem.

> [ERROR]: AbacuaClp-2.wav: could not write peak file data (Bad file
> descriptor)

A "sudo -R <yourusername> /path/to/mounted/drive
- From looking at your output, the mount point is:
/media/PPA1.2/

> Looks like AudioEngine doesn't know to look for ALSA, though I'm
> hearing and recording tracks. Also looks like I don't have recursive
> permissions for the whole directory. I don't know what the bad file
> descriptor is about.

Nope, it is a file permission problem.

> Maybe I should give up on OSX for now, since I have installed Ubuntu
> Studio on both machines. Still, it would be nice to work on sessions
> with a Mac user, there are lots of them. I kinda thought it would
> be possible, since the OS's are both Unix or Unix-like systems.

It is possible, you just need to do a little work to make it happen.

I have a really low opinion of Macs, but this is not the time and place
for those views.