-   -   installing from USB (again) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/146454-installing-usb-again.html)

altern 08-21-2008 03:05 PM

installing from USB (again)

hi

i asked few months ago about installing ubuntu studio from USB drive on
a laptop with no cd or dvd drive. My solution then was to create a
bootable USB with the standard ubuntu version, install that and then
upgrade to Ubuntu Studio.

I would like to install now Ubuntu Studio directly and not standard
Ubuntu+upgrade. I cannot remember if anyone explained how to do this, i
cannot find anything in the list archives.

any tips are welcome. thanks.

enrike

Andrew Hunter 08-21-2008 05:23 PM

installing from USB (again)

altern 08-23-2008 05:03 PM

installing from USB (again)

Andrew Hunter(e)k dio:

> altern wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> i asked few months ago about installing ubuntu studio from USB drive on
>> a laptop with no cd or dvd drive. My solution then was to create a
>> bootable USB with the standard ubuntu version, install that and then
>> upgrade to Ubuntu Studio.
>>
>> I would like to install now Ubuntu Studio directly and not standard
>> Ubuntu+upgrade. I cannot remember if anyone explained how to do this, i
>> cannot find anything in the list archives.
>
> I have not tried this, but there is no reason I can think of the that
> the standard method of installing via usbkey shouldn't work (untried).
> If it works with the regular alt disks, it should work with ours.

ok i am checking this
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick
using the isotostick.sh method.

I run the laptop from the USB drive and the installer starts working
fine, great!. But soon it doesnt find the cdrom so it cannot continue
the installation process. It is basically trying to read the instalation
files from the cdrom -which doesn exist in this case- so it fails.

At the bottom of the web page i am following it says that
when using the alternate CD installer one needs to setup the cddrive
the section is called "Mounting the USB stick as /cdrom". This are the
commands to do it, one needs to open a new console with ALT+1 after
choosing installation language

# mkdir /cdrom /dev/cdroms
# cd /dev/cdroms
# ln -s ../sda1 cdrom0
# mount -t vfat /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /cdrom

I tried following those tips but still it does not find the cdrom. My
usb drive shows up as sdb1, i checked read that from dmesg.

so i am stucked here at the moment. anyone has some tips? i am not very
good at the debian install process, i am spiled by the Ubuntu livecd
install system, so i am not sure how to go about this.

btw. i think that, once a solution is found, it would be good to have a
howto about this somewhere in ubuntu studio website (maybe the wiki) as
there are few laptop models with no cd drive. Mine is a Thinkpad X32, I
bought it second hand on ebay and without the dock.

thanks!

enrike

Andrew Hunter 08-23-2008 05:15 PM

installing from USB (again)

altern 08-23-2008 08:30 PM

installing from USB (again)

Andrew Hunter(e)k dio:

> Hey altern,
>
> altern wrote:
>> Andrew Hunter(e)k dio:
>>>
>>> altern wrote:
> [...]
>> At the bottom of the web page i am following it says that
>> when using the alternate CD installer one needs to setup the cddrive
>> the section is called "Mounting the USB stick as /cdrom". This are the
>> commands to do it, one needs to open a new console with ALT+1 after
>> choosing installation language
>>
>> # mkdir /cdrom /dev/cdroms
>> # cd /dev/cdroms
>> # ln -s ../sda1 cdrom0
>> # mount -t vfat /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /cdrom
>>
>> I tried following those tips but still it does not find the cdrom. My
>> usb drive shows up as sdb1, i checked read that from dmesg.
>
> Are you substituting that value where appropriate in the guide?

as far as i understand i am doing it ok. I checked with dmesg that my
Kingston USB stick was sdb, then checked which devices were available at
/dev and there it was /dev/sdb1

i noticed that after i do
mount -t vfat /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /cdrom
the installer goes funny and it cannot read the usb drive any more. I
mean, before the problem is that it cannot autodetect the cdrom drive
but it reads the content of the usb drive with no problems, as soon as i
mount the usb drive on /cdrom the installer cannot read the content of
the drive any more, it is like if i had removed it.

I also tried few other options like doing directly
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom

same problem. i might be doing something stupid because i cannot see
anyone else complaning online about same error... but i cannot see what
it might be. I checked few times and as far as i can see i am doing all ok.

enrike

"Luis de Bethencourt" 08-24-2008 01:40 PM

installing from USB (again)

On 8/23/08, altern <altern2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew Hunter(e)k dio:
> >
> > Hey altern,
> >
> > altern wrote:
> >> Andrew Hunter(e)k dio:

> > [...]
> >> At the bottom of the web page i am following it says that
> >> when using the alternate CD installer one needs to setup the cddrive
> >> the section is called "Mounting the USB stick as /cdrom". This are the
> >> commands to do it, one needs to open a new console with ALT+1 after
> >> choosing installation language
> >>
> >> # mkdir /cdrom /dev/cdroms
> >> # cd /dev/cdroms
> >> # ln -s ../sda1 cdrom0
> >> # mount -t vfat /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /cdrom
> >>
> >> I tried following those tips but still it does not find the cdrom. My
> >> usb drive shows up as sdb1, i checked read that from dmesg.
> >
> > Are you substituting that value where appropriate in the guide?
>

> as far as i understand i am doing it ok. I checked with dmesg that my
> Kingston USB stick was sdb, then checked which devices were available at
> /dev and there it was /dev/sdb1
>
> i noticed that after i do
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /cdrom
>
> the installer goes funny and it cannot read the usb drive any more. I
> mean, before the problem is that it cannot autodetect the cdrom drive
> but it reads the content of the usb drive with no problems, as soon as i
> mount the usb drive on /cdrom the installer cannot read the content of
> the drive any more, it is like if i had removed it.
>
> I also tried few other options like doing directly
> mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom
>
> same problem. i might be doing something stupid because i cannot see
> anyone else complaning online about same error... but i cannot see what
> it might be. I checked few times and as far as i can see i am doing all ok.
>
> enrike

The commands you are pasting here make no sense to me. You are
creating a link from the usb drive to the usual place of the cdrom
drive, and then trying to mount that. The usb drive is already mounted
(you are using it to run the system). You cant mount twice a drive but
since you are doing it through the link the system might get confused.

What you need to do is create a link from the mounted point of the pendrive
check it with "df" and make /cdrom be a link to that.

Btw, I thought ubuntu mounted cdroms in /media/ so check that guide is
doing things the Ubuntu way. I might be wrong but I don't have time to
check right now.

Luis

--
Luis de Bethencourt Guimerį
luisbg

altern 08-25-2008 05:37 PM

installing from USB (again)

Luis de Bethencourt(e)k dio:
> On 8/23/08, altern <altern2@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andrew Hunter(e)k dio:
>> >
>> > Hey altern,

>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Are you substituting that value where appropriate in the guide?
>>

>> as far as i understand i am doing it ok. I checked with dmesg that my
>> Kingston USB stick was sdb, then checked which devices were available at
>> /dev and there it was /dev/sdb1
>>
>> i noticed that after i do
>>
>> mount -t vfat /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /cdrom
>>
>> the installer goes funny and it cannot read the usb drive any more. I
>> mean, before the problem is that it cannot autodetect the cdrom drive
>> but it reads the content of the usb drive with no problems, as soon as i
>> mount the usb drive on /cdrom the installer cannot read the content of
>> the drive any more, it is like if i had removed it.
>>
>> I also tried few other options like doing directly
>> mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom
>>
>> same problem. i might be doing something stupid because i cannot see
>> anyone else complaning online about same error... but i cannot see what
>> it might be. I checked few times and as far as i can see i am doing all ok.
>>
>> enrike
>>

>> --
>>

> The commands you are pasting here make no sense to me. You are
> creating a link from the usb drive to the usual place of the cdrom
> drive, and then trying to mount that. The usb drive is already mounted
> (you are using it to run the system). You cant mount twice a drive but
> since you are doing it through the link the system might get confused.

> What you need to do is create a link from the mounted point of the pendrive
> check it with "df" and make /cdrom be a link to that.

"df" says that FILESYSTEM TMPFS and MOUNTED ON /DEV
sorry i am not very good at this technical details, I dont understand
what i have to do, should I create a link to /dev somwhere like say
/mnt/cdrom0 and then set /cdrom to point to it? is this right?

> Btw, I thought ubuntu mounted cdroms in /media/ so check that guide is
> doing things the Ubuntu way. I might be wrong but I don't have time to
> check right now.

funny because i took it from help.ubuntu.com so it should be very
ubuntu-like.
The docs are here, the section called "Mounting the USB stick as /cdrom"

"Luis de Bethencourt" 08-25-2008 10:47 PM

installing from USB (again)

On 8/25/08, altern <altern2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Luis de Bethencourt(e)k dio:
>
> > On 8/23/08, altern <altern2@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Andrew Hunter(e)k dio:

> >> as far as i understand i am doing it ok. I checked with dmesg that my
> >> Kingston USB stick was sdb, then checked which devices were available at
> >> /dev and there it was /dev/sdb1
> >>
> >> i noticed that after i do
> >>
> >> mount -t vfat /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /cdrom
> >>
> >> the installer goes funny and it cannot read the usb drive any more. I
> >> mean, before the problem is that it cannot autodetect the cdrom drive
> >> but it reads the content of the usb drive with no problems, as soon as i
> >> mount the usb drive on /cdrom the installer cannot read the content of
> >> the drive any more, it is like if i had removed it.
> >>
> >> I also tried few other options like doing directly
> >> mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom
> >>
> >> same problem. i might be doing something stupid because i cannot see
> >> anyone else complaning online about same error... but i cannot see what
> >> it might be. I checked few times and as far as i can see i am doing all ok.
> >>
> >> enrike
> >>

> >> --
> >>

> > The commands you are pasting here make no sense to me. You are
> > creating a link from the usb drive to the usual place of the cdrom
> > drive, and then trying to mount that. The usb drive is already mounted
> > (you are using it to run the system). You cant mount twice a drive but
> > since you are doing it through the link the system might get confused.
>
> > What you need to do is create a link from the mounted point of the pendrive
> > check it with "df" and make /cdrom be a link to that.
>

> "df" says that FILESYSTEM TMPFS and MOUNTED ON /DEV
> sorry i am not very good at this technical details, I dont understand
> what i have to do, should I create a link to /dev somwhere like say
> /mnt/cdrom0 and then set /cdrom to point to it? is this right?
>

> > Btw, I thought ubuntu mounted cdroms in /media/ so check that guide is
> > doing things the Ubuntu way. I might be wrong but I don't have time to
> > check right now.
>

> funny because i took it from help.ubuntu.com so it should be very
> ubuntu-like.
> The docs are here, the section called "Mounting the USB stick as /cdrom"
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

You are getting confused.

/dev
is where the devices are.

"df" is disk free, it tells you information about the disks, specially
how much free space per disk.

I will go through the link you gave in help.ubuntu tomorrow and reply
you with it, since I dont have time right now.

Luis

Gustin Johnson 08-26-2008 12:59 AM

installing from USB (again)

altern 08-28-2008 07:40 AM

installing from USB (again)

Gustin Johnson(e)k dio:

> altern wrote:
>
>> funny because i took it from help.ubuntu.com so it should be very
>> ubuntu-like.
>> The docs are here, the section called "Mounting the USB stick as /cdrom"
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick
>>

> You mean the part where the first line says:
>
> "This step is only needed for the Alternate install CD and Ubuntu 6.10
> or older."
>
> Unless this statement is grammatically incorrect (the "and" might need
> to be an "or"), you should not need to do this.

ah! you are right, i did not pay enough attention i understood 6.10 and
newer. stupid of me ...

but anyway my installer still cannot find the cd drive. maybe something
wrong with the system i use to dump the installer in the USB.

> Anyway, this is IMO a needlessly complicated procedure. It is creating
> a sym link from the actual device (eg. /dev/sdb1) to /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
> then mounting the symlink /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 to /cdrom
>
> You could just do
> mount /dev/sdb1 /cdrom
>
> Verify with df -Th

i think i already tried this, but i will do it again just in case.

> I will have to try this at some point, since I have a USB CDRom drive
> that I have always used. I would expect things to fail sooner than the
> language selection.

it fails when it tries to scan de cd drive

thanks!

enrike