Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
michael falkenburg

Default OK, now what?

Greetings!

I'm running 8.04 and "installed" via Internet using aptitude.
Used what I read NoOp suggest to another new user:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install ubuntustudio-audio
ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video linux-rt

This resulted in many hours of "chugging".

No error messages as far as I could tell, but when I try System >
Preferences > Appearance, there is nothing listed for Studio.
Obviously, I'm "missing" something...like a Desktop choice ;-)

Help please,

mischaf

p.s. thnx-in-advance

Old 08-20-2008, 05:00 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

If you can't find the themes under 'customize', the you need to install the desktop package.
Everything else depends on it I think, so you just wasted a bunch of time... :-)

Here is the package description: http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ubuntustudio-desktop

so just sudo apt-get --install ubuntustudio-desktop
--
Christopher Stamper

Email: christopherstamper@gmail.com
Web: http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg

gTalk: http://tinyurl.com/6e359r
Skype: cdstamper

Old 08-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Christopher Stamper kirjoitti:

> so just sudo apt-get --install ubuntustudio-desktop

For rt-kernel I have changed these files this way:

studio@ubuntu-studio:/etc$ cat modules
[--]
#
# Ubuntu Studio
#
snd-seq

studio@ubuntu-studio:/etc$ cat sysctl.conf
[--]
#
# Ubuntu Studio
#
dev.rtc.max-user-freq=1024

studio@ubuntu-studio:/etc$ cat security/limits.conf
[--]
#
# Ubuntu Studio
#
@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock 250000
@audio - nice -10

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Ubuntu_Studio#head-3ca74ed4506df7b4b34a5e27a703f289c8c2b193

No xruns for me...

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 PM
michael falkenburg

Simple enough!
(and all that other time wasn't "wasted", I needed the stuff anyway)
Thanks again to all.
Mischa

Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

(and all that other time wasn't "wasted", I needed the stuff anyway)
For future reference:

studio-desktop is a meta package. Thus all it does is install other packages. In other words, installing ubuntustudio-dektop will install all the desktop packages for studio, saving you some time and effort.

AFAIK, that is...

:-)