Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
"holotone@gmail.com"

Default Best Basic USB Soundcard?

With my utter lack of knowledge on the subject, I've decided that perhaps it's my audio interface (Behringer UCA200) that's causing my realtime woes. Time to try a new soundcard perhaps?

Any recommendations out there? It'll need to be USB and able to handle low latency, though the more basic the better - I already have a nice mixer, so one in and one out is all I need. I'd also prefer to keep this as much under $100 as possible.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
--
~holotone
http://holotone.net/

Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Greg K.

Hi Holotone,

Have a look at the "Jam Lab", it's very basic and cheap.
1 "big" jack line-in
1 "little" jack head phone output
1 USB to plug on the PC.
Low latency (17 ms on my PC for instance)

KoZo

Old 11-20-2007, 05:43 PM
"holotone@gmail.com"

Thanks for the suggestion - Is the 1/4" jack mono or stereo? Are you able to run in realtime with this device? Is this going to be much of an upgrade from a Behringer UCA200?

Old 11-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Greg K.

You will find all the details on m-audio's page http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/JamLab-focus.html
But I think the input is mono.
Yes you can run in RT with it.

Sorry I don't know the Behringer so I couldn't compare.

KoZo

Old 11-21-2007, 04:30 PM
"Cole Moeller"

The M-Audio transit seems to be similar, with stereo in / out:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-MII-TRANSIT.html

Anyone have experience with this piece of hardware?

~holotone

Old 11-21-2007, 04:40 PM
"holotone@gmail.com"

Old 11-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Hartmut Noack

Old 11-22-2007, 04:39 PM
"holotone@gmail.com"

Wowzers.. then perhaps my sound issues have more to do with wonkiness with realtime than anything - Thanks for the info!

~h

On 11/22/07, Hartmut Noack
<zettberlin@linuxuse.de> wrote:

Greg K. schrieb:

> Sorry I don't know the Behringer so I couldn't compare.

THis Behringer works OK for me. I can run jackd even on a G4-Ibook with

it. On my AMD64-Laptop with ubuntu32 rt-kernel it allows working with
about 10 ms latency....
Yet the sound of it is 2nd-class at best...

--
~holotone
http://holotone.net/