Old 12-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Greg K.

Default usb or fw? + anyone have a jamlab?

Hi all,

*

I'm using a M-Audio Jam Lab (usb) on my Desktop PC to record bass/guitar.

*

Someone advised me not to get a firewire equipment on my Desktop, saying it was recommended for laptops.

What do you guys think about that?

*

Also I would like to know if someone is using*a M-Audio Jam Lab too, because it looks like the input is mono, and when I record an instrument, I can hear it correctly on the right side, but with a verrrrrrry low-low-low-low volume on the left, so I usually "cross the lines" on patchage to have my captures enter my Ardour track on both left*& right.

*

So if anyone has one: Do you have the same problem? If no, what's your configuration please?

*

Thanks,

*

KoZo

Besoin d'un e-mail ? Créez gratuitement un compte Windows Live Hotmail et bénéficiez d'un filtre antivirus gratuit ! Windows Live Hotmail

Old 12-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Asmo Koskinen

Greg K. kirjoitti:
> Someone advised me not to get a firewire equipment on my Desktop, saying it was recommended for laptops.
> What do you guys think about that?

I have Delta 66 (PCI) on one PC at work. To the home PC I plan to buy
one of those supported ffado fw soundcard, because I have good and fast
laptop too:

http://www.ffado.org/?q=devicesupport%2Flist&filter0=&filter1=&op2=OR&f ilter2%5B%5D=perfect

So yes - go ahead and buy one that works on both machines - pc and
laptop, that is what I am planning.

I use Kino on home PC and laptop, too, with fw video camera, it is fast
and reliable - why not fw soundcard?

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:51 AM
"adam faranda"

I have had good luck with the M-audio Oxygen 8 v2,
no lagging notes etc......

Old 12-08-2007, 06:43 PM
"holotone@gmail.com"

Wait - You can use the Oxygen MIDI keyboard as a USB audio interface? How do you get audio into and out of it?

Thanks!

On 12/7/07, adam faranda
<adam.faranda@gmail.com> wrote:I have had good luck with the M-audio Oxygen 8 v2,

no lagging notes etc......

--
~cole
http://holotone.net/

Old 12-08-2007, 06:59 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 08 December 2007, holotone@gmail.com wrote:

> Wait - You can use the Oxygen MIDI keyboard as a USB audio interface? How
> do you get audio into and out of it?

Doesn't look like it. Nothing here about audio at all:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen8v2-focus.html

But this one OTOH:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioOzone-main.html

Not that I have any idea whether it would work. Maybe. It says
PC/Mac/Universal, which looks encouraging, but I've been burned by such
encouragements before.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-08-2007, 07:45 PM
"adam faranda"

Sorry, that was my mistake; I was exhausted when I replied originally (finals week and what not). The Oxygen has worked for me as a midi controller; It is not, as I mistakenly reported, any sort of audio/midi interface. It only outputs its own midi data via either its USB port or its standard MIDI out port. Sorry to create any confusion.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:31 PM
fridolin

I don't know the Jamlab, but I can assure you that there's no difference
between audio boxes for desktops and laptops - only that you can't use
any PCI interfaces on laptops.

I'd in fact rather go for a firewire interface than something on USB
since there's usually lots of other (non-audio-related) stuff on a USB
like mouse, bluetooth adapters, keyboard, storage devices and so on...
And all these devices have to share resources on the USB hub inside your
computer while your audio interface would likely be "home alone" on the
firewire port!

Hearing a recorded mono signal on both channels while having it recorded
(and/or patched) to only one comes usually from "crosstalk" between
different audio channels on the analog side, e.g. on your audio output
interface or mixing console - you don't have to "cross lines", simply
"pan" the recorded mono signal to center in ardour and get a better
audio interface or mixer!

cheers

Old 12-11-2007, 11:39 PM
"Christopher Stamper"

Maybe OT, but I believe firewire has a processor in the controller. In other words, USB uses your CPU cycles, while Firewire has it's own dedicated processor, thus using much less CPU cycles.*
Or so I'm told...

Greg K. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using a M-Audio Jam Lab (usb) on my Desktop PC to record bass/guitar.
>
> Someone advised me not to get a firewire equipment on my Desktop,

> saying it was recommended for laptops.
> What do you guys think about that?
>
> Also I would like to know if someone is using a M-Audio Jam Lab too,
> because it looks like the input is mono, and when I record an

> instrument, I can hear it correctly on the right side, but with a
> verrrrrrry low-low-low-low volume on the left, so I usually "cross the
> lines" on patchage to have my captures enter my Ardour track on both

> left & right.
>
> So if anyone has one: Do you have the same problem? If no, what's your
> configuration please?
>
> Thanks,
>
> KoZo

> Besoin d'un e-mail ? Créez gratuitement un compte Windows Live Hotmail
> et bénéficiez d'un filtre antivirus gratuit ! Windows Live Hotmail
> <
http://www.windowslive.fr/hotmail/default.asp>

Christopher Stamper

christopherstamper@gmail.com