Old 08-17-2008, 02:18 AM
"adam faranda"

Default Best Jury Rig

The other day I was recording a vocal track, and noticed that I was getting massive peaks on words that started with the letter "P". Lacking a pop screen, I made an impromptu screen out of a paper plate and a coffee filter. This got me wondering If any of my fellow ubuntu-studio users had similar experiences; Share your best story of jury-rigged equipment Here !

Old 08-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Matthew Polashek

A clothes hanger, duct tape, and a ladies nylon stocking stolen by a
student from his mom's bureau.

Matt

Old 08-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Carla

Yes I have used the pantihose thing too and it works well. Carla

adam faranda wrote:
> The other day I was recording a vocal track, and noticed that I was
> getting massive peaks on words that started with the letter "P".

> Lacking a pop screen, I made an impromptu screen out of a paper plate

> and a coffee filter. This got me wondering If any of my fellow
> ubuntu-studio users had similar experiences; Share your best story of
> jury-rigged equipment Here !

Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7- Find out more.--
Ubuntu-Studio-users mailing list
Ubuntu-Studio-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 AM
"Kim Burgess"

+1 on the stockings. Although I use actual pop filters purely for the aesthetics, especially for paying clients. Functionally there's not a significant difference. There was so many 'panty runs' in first year uni - send someone from the session to go to the shops and buy metal coat hangers, stockings and more red bull. A group of guys buying womans stockings can invoke some interesting looks.

Kim Burgess

P +61 4 2339 9187
E contact@kimburgess.info
W www.kimburgess.info

Old 08-17-2008, 06:00 PM
"Andrew Oikle"

Rig-less approach.* Sing slightly over the center of the mic and angle it up toward your mouth.* Then you can also control your hard consonants.*

http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/Julandrew

Old 08-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Matthew Polashek

There's a great article in Tape Op that talks about using a pencil taped
in front of the capsule.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:13 AM
"Paul DeShaw"

Andrew Oikle wrote:

Rig-less approach. *Sing slightly over the center of the mic and angle it up

toward your mouth. *Then you can also control your hard consonants.
I have some synthetic scarves I bought for teaching parent-child music classes.* I used a hideously colored one as a pop filter.* I can filter pops, and spare the kids from the horrible pukey green scarf.** But I don't have a way of attaching it to the mic stand.

Paul in Seattle

Old 08-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Jason Weaver

The quickest fix for a pop filter that ever used was a sock fresh from the drier. Recorded a wole album with that...