Old 08-10-2008, 08:06 PM
"Paul DeShaw"

Default How to make Firewire drive writable again?

Greetings,

First, the history.

I have a Firewire hard drive for audio recording.* I had a laptop with MacOSX, JACK, and Ardour.* I had Ubuntu Studio Gutsy installed on a desktop.* I wanted to be able to share Ardour sessions between these two systems using this Firewire drive.* After doing research and asking online, I decided to format the drive HFS+, unjournaled. (FAT32 would have limited me to 4GB files.* In retrospect I wish I'd just used that instead of HFS+) There were problems at first, but eventually, it worked.* I was able to go back and forth between the Mac and Ubuntu Studio with the same drive.* (Side note: Eventually very strange behavior ensued on the Mac/Ardour, documented on the Ardour forums.)

I eventually installed Ubuntu Studio Hardy on the MacBook.* Much tweaking ensued, but eventually I was able to acess this disk with the MacBuntu as well.* Read and write, everything worked.* So I now had three systems reading and writing files and folders on this drive: MacBuntu, MacOSX, and Ubuntu Studio Gutsy.

Then came the Upgrade from Hell.* I attempted to upgrade Ubuntu Studio from Gutsy to Hardy, and many things broke.* I cleared out some space, and did a clean Hardy install, keeping the old Gutsy so I could access files, until I figure out how to move everything.

Now, I find that no Linux system can read and write to this drive anymore.* For example, if I open Nautilis as root, and try to drag and drop a Rosegarden session onto this drive, I get an error message that says,

Error while copying to "PPA1.2":

The destination is read-only

Looking at the permissions in a terminal, it says

pad@Studio909:~$ ls -l /media
total 12<snip>
drwxrwxrwx* 1 root root** 19 2008-06-22 22:46 PPA1.2

I don't know how to open permissions any wider than that.

I have installed the same tools for HFS+ that worked on the other systems, but still the drive is closed. Neither the new Hardy desktop, the old Gutsy desktop, nor the MacBuntu can write to it anymnore.* These last two were working perfectly fine before the Hardy install.** MacOSX "just works", as before. * I had the drive plugged in and turned on during the install, so maybe that did something to it.

So, how do I acess the work I have on this drive?

--Paul in Seattle

Old 08-10-2008, 11:10 PM
"Cory K."

Paul DeShaw wrote:
> So, how do I acess the work I have on this drive?

Try firing up "Ubuntu Studio Controls" in System->Admin and check the
box to enable 1394. Might need a logout/reboot. (I don't have a drive
but that might help)

-Cory K.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Luke Yelavich

Old 08-12-2008, 07:16 AM
"Paul DeShaw"

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:10:15 -0400

"Cory K." wrote

Paul DeShaw wrote:

> So, how do I acess the work I have on this drive?

Try firing up "Ubuntu Studio Controls" in System->Admin and check the

box to enable 1394. Might need a logout/reboot. (I don't have a drive

but that might help)

-Cory K.
Cory,

That worked.* I just was playing back a track.* I'm amazed how simple that was, and grateful for the help.
*

Luke Yelavich wrote:

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 06:06:00AM EST, Paul DeShaw wrote:

> Now, I find that no Linux system can read and write to this drive anymore.

> For example, if I open Nautilis as root, and try to drag and drop a

> Rosegarden session onto this drive, I get an error message that says,

> Error while copying to "PPA1.2":

> The destination is read-only

> Looking at the permissions in a terminal, it says

> pad@Studio909:~$ ls -l /media

> total 12<snip>

> drwxrwxrwx *1 root root * 19 2008-06-22 22:46 PPA1.2

Just a note, that is owned by root, yet is accessible to everyone. You might want to tighten that up to only the user owning and accessing it.
That was the only way I knew to make it accessable from different machines and OS's.

Have you considered repairing/checking disk permissions etc in OS X? Since HFS+ is native to OS X, it should know how to deal with such a filesystem the best.

> So, how do I acess the work I have on this drive?

Make sure the filesystem is in tact, and perhaps try copying he data off the drive in OS X onto another drive. If that works, try in Linux. If not, I'd back up, whipe the drive, and start a fresh with a compatible filesystem for all OSs you use.

Luke
Thankfully this wasn't necessary.* HFS+ was the best comprimise:* FAT32 would limit file size, EXT3 wouldn't allow access from Mac OSX.* I find I'm using Mac less now that I have Ubuntu on the MacBook; maybe I will eventually back everything up, and reformat the drive to a Linux filesystem.

Thanks, guys,

Paul