-   -   Xruns and Network Manager (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-studio-user/136653-xruns-network-manager.html)

"Cory K." 08-03-2008 01:57 PM

Xruns and Network Manager

Fabien Juchniewicz wrote:
> Yes...
>
> You can try to start jackd with a higher priority, like this : nice
> -n-15 /usr/bin/jackd (in qjackctl / Setup)
>
> You can try also to desactivate network manager which causes me some
> xruns...

Which is the reason why it's not included by default :) (people have no
clue how much crap we've got lately for this)

"holotone@gmail.com" 08-04-2008 12:47 AM

Xruns and Network Manager

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Cory K. <coryisatm@ubuntu.com> wrote:

Fabien Juchniewicz wrote:

> Yes...

> You can try to start jackd with a higher priority, like this : nice

> -n-15 /usr/bin/jackd (in qjackctl / Setup)

> You can try also to desactivate network manager which causes me some

> xruns...

Which is the reason why it's not included by default :) (people have no

clue how much crap we've got lately for this)
Are there any non-xrun-causing alternatives to network manager? I find it incredibly useful, and would hate to not have access to it or something like it. How bad is the problem it causes?

~holotone

"Cory K." 08-04-2008 01:00 AM

Xruns and Network Manager

holotone@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Cory K. <coryisatm@ubuntu.com
> <mailto:coryisatm@ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
> Fabien Juchniewicz wrote:
> > Yes...
> >
> > You can try to start jackd with a higher priority, like this : nice
> > -n-15 /usr/bin/jackd (in qjackctl / Setup)
> >
> > You can try also to desactivate network manager which causes me some
> > xruns...
>
> Which is the reason why it's not included by default :) (people
> have no
> clue how much crap we've got lately for this)
>

> Are there any non-xrun-causing alternatives to network manager? I find
> it incredibly useful, and would hate to not have access to it or
> something like it.

The normal GNOME network tools are there and have worked for years on
every laptop I've owned. Just a little more manual if you hop to
different networks. Mine doesn't leave the house.

> How bad is the problem it causes?

Depends on the setup I guess. But it's generally enough to put it in
with the reasons *not* to include it by default.

-Cory K.

"holotone@gmail.com" 08-04-2008 01:05 AM

Xruns and Network Manager

The normal GNOME network tools are there and have worked for years on

every laptop I've owned. Just a little more manual if you hop to

different networks. Mine doesn't leave the house.
Egads; I'm moving around enough to make that a royal pain.
*

> How bad is the problem it causes?

Depends on the setup I guess. But it's generally enough to put it in

with the reasons *not* to include it by default.
Is it a bug with network manager? Are they aware of the problem and / or is it fixable?

~holotone

"Cory K." 08-04-2008 01:14 AM

Xruns and Network Manager

holotone@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm@ubuntu.com
> <mailto:coryisatm@ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
> The normal GNOME network tools are there and have worked for years on
> every laptop I've owned. Just a little more manual if you hop to
> different networks. Mine doesn't leave the house.
>

> Egads; I'm moving around enough to make that a royal pain.
>

> > How bad is the problem it causes?
>
> Depends on the setup I guess. But it's generally enough to put it in
> with the reasons *not* to include it by default.
>

> Is it a bug with network manager? Are they aware of the problem and /
> or is it fixable?

I couldn't tell you the cause. Only the effect.

Fabien Juchniewicz 08-04-2008 04:51 AM

Xruns and Network Manager

Le dimanche 03 août 2008 à 21:14 -0400, Cory K. a écrit*:

holotone@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm@ubuntu.com
> <mailto:coryisatm@ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
> The normal GNOME network tools are there and have worked for years on
> every laptop I've owned. Just a little more manual if you hop to
> different networks. Mine doesn't leave the house.
>

> Egads; I'm moving around enough to make that a royal pain.
>

> > How bad is the problem it causes?
>
> Depends on the setup I guess. But it's generally enough to put it in
> with the reasons *not* to include it by default.
>

> Is it a bug with network manager? Are they aware of the problem and /
> or is it fixable?

I couldn't tell you the cause. Only the effect.

The trick is to right click on the applet and stop the network while you play music. It works for me.

/F@jE

Gustin Johnson 08-04-2008 05:38 AM

Xruns and Network Manager