Old 12-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Pietro Bergamo

Default Res: Composition thread

>Cory K. wrote:
>Once, just once, I want to hear someone record a band using Ardour and
>open-source tools.
>To me, all the synth stuff is just too easy as its all digital.

Well, this is not exactly recording a band, but it's not only digital stuff. It's a little three voice prelude I wrote as an introduction for a song in a band I used to play, but that never actually got into a record. The final chord is a bit dissonant since it was supposed to prepare the first
chord of the song, which would be a D major.I recorded it with my electric organ (completely analogical) in ardour and used gverb (I think) for ambiance. I just can't remember if I did it in Ubuntu Studio or if I was still in Demudi.The link for full CD quality wave file (about 13MB) ishttp://rapidshare.com/files/74668895/preludioCD.wav

For the mp3
http://rapidshare.com/files/74669873/preludio.mp3

For the ogg
http://rapidshare.com/files/74670249/preludio.oggI hope you enjoy it.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Pietro Bergamo

*
*
>These days, I tend to favor synths that are trying to be synths, instead of
>synths that are trying to be a fake orchestra.*

I'd add Pure Data to the list. You might have to work on it for a while, and maybe study a little bit on synthesis*funtamentals,*but Pd's practically unlimited. I do love it.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:29 PM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Saturday 08 December 2007, Pietro Bergamo wrote:
> I'd add Pure Data to the list. You might have to work on it for a while,
> and maybe study a little bit on synthesis funtamentals, but Pd's
> practically unlimited. I do love it.

I'll go play with it, though it sounds too far over my head to be my kind of
thing (like AMS.)

And hey, thanks (to whomever) for bringing the topic up, and leading me to
blow the dust off my old friend ZynAddSubFX. I'm repeating the Zynfidel
phenomenon and in the middle of creating Zynspiration, which will be my first
pure (K)Ubuntu Studio endeavor. Two notes, a funky patch, and an idea. It's
a fast thumpy techoie kind of thing with beautiful and weirdly out of place
melodic Spanish bullfightery trumpet (real trumpet) stuff woven over top of
it. If I can quit screwing up the trumpet part, and actually manage to
accomplish the thing. (Inspiration comes so rarely, and tends to evaporate
almost instantly. I'm trying to grab it and channel it into something before
it goes away. Sure would be a hell of a lot more efficient if there were a
more direct way to extract what I'm hearing in my head into what I want to
hear with my ears. Like a brain radio stream tuner or something. )

Which actually brings about a problem, come to think of it. I don't have any
way to listen to Zyn unless my microphone can hear it too. No headphone jack
on my ice1712. I wonder if I could rig something using my AudioBuddy
backwards as a headphone post-amp routing the analog outputs from the card
into my ears. (I have the audible out going to SPDIF.)

No, NO NO NO NO!!! I will NOT get caught up dicking around with technical
hardware crap, and thereby obliterating my infrequent little nugget of
creative inspiration.

I'll just record the other parts right in the trumpet recording and get it
done while it's still here. Or it will never get done. Even though it will
be all muddied up with parts out of sync, and I won't be able to remix it if
the levels aren't any good, which they won't be.

This stuff is all too hard. I really like the brain radio idea. This thing
sounds great in here. Not so good yet actually coming out of my speakers
though.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 PM
"Kim Burgess"

+1 for Pd.*If you haven't heard of it its a completely modular graphical programming language similar to MaxMSP (but open source, and free). Invest the time learning some synthesis fundamentals as*it will well be worth it in the long run - not just for using Pd but for any type of synth. Once you get your head around it your only limit will be your imagination and creativity. The best thig about it is its not purely a synthesis engine, you can use it to process and manipulate any sort of data, which means you can start creating your own DSP's or use it for realtime image and video for live performances etc. In summary, V. funky.

*
Kim Burgess

P**+61 7 3366 8971
M**+61 4 2339 9187
E**phreaksaccount@gmail.com

Old 12-08-2007, 09:54 PM
"holotone@gmail.com"

Any recommends for a good Pd tutorial? I've opened it once, but was a bit overwhelmed with the.. err... "terseness" of the app..

~holotone

On 12/8/07,
+1 for Pd.*If you haven't heard of it its a completely modular graphical programming language similar to MaxMSP (but open source, and free). Invest the time learning some synthesis fundamentals as*it will well be worth it in the long run - not just for using Pd but for any type of synth. Once you get your head around it your only limit will be your imagination and creativity. The best thig about it is its not purely a synthesis engine, you can use it to process and manipulate any sort of data, which means you can start creating your own DSP's or use it for realtime image and video for live performances etc. In summary, V. funky.

*
Kim Burgess

P**+61 7 3366 8971
M**+61 4 2339 9187
E**
phreaksaccount@gmail.com

~cole
http://holotone.net/

Old 12-08-2007, 10:09 PM
"Kim Burgess"

Have a read through the docs on the site http://puredata.info/docs
*
Kim Burgess

P**+61 7 3366 8971
M**+61 4 2339 9187
E**phreaksaccount@gmail.com

Old 12-08-2007, 11:00 PM
"Luis de Bethencourt"

On Dec 9, 2007 12:51 AM, Pietro Bergamo <bergamopietro@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> ~holotone wrote:
>
> >Any recommends for a good Pd tutorial? I've opened it once, but was a bit
> overwhelmed
> >with the.. err... "terseness" of the app..
>
> There is this book by Miller Puckette, creator of Max/MSP and Pure Data, for
> free at this site:
>
> http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques.htm
>
> I started out mostly experimenting with the example patches and reading the
> documentation that comes with it.

People. The thread is going a little bit off topic, it started to show
your compositions made in Ubuntu Studio and we are talking about the
great Pd by Miller Puckette now.

I suggest changing the topic of the thread when it starts going off topic.

Cheers,
Luis de Bethencourt

Luis de Bethencourt Guimerá
luisbg