Old 07-29-2008, 12:22 PM
"Cory K."

Default avoid jump on cd between tracks

altern wrote:
> hi
>
> this is kind of OT i guess.

It's on-topic.

> I need to master a wave file into several
> tracks on a CD. It is a live recording so there is no gap between the
> tracks but I would like to avoid the jump between tracks to be heard. I
> have tried with Rezound to cut the wave using cues and then recording
> the parts into a CD with K3b, but i still get the gap in some CD and DVD
> players.
>
> So right now i am not sure that this can be done. Does anyone here know
> how to get this right?
>
> many thanks
>
> enrike

I think gcdmaster will do what you need. Included in Ubuntu Studio.

"gCDmaster Features:

* Easy to use graphical interface
* Multiple project support
* Playing of Audio CD images
* Easy dump of CDs to disk
* CD to CD copy
* Composition of new Audio CDs from wav files
* *Graphical insertion of Track Marks (to divide live recordings)*
* Easy CD-TEXT modification"

-Cory m/

Old 07-29-2008, 06:20 PM
altern

Cory K.(e)k dio:
> altern wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> this is kind of OT i guess.
>
> It's on-topic.
>
>> I need to master a wave file into several
>> tracks on a CD. It is a live recording so there is no gap between the
>> tracks but I would like to avoid the jump between tracks to be heard. I
>> have tried with Rezound to cut the wave using cues and then recording
>> the parts into a CD with K3b, but i still get the gap in some CD and DVD
>> players.
>>
>> So right now i am not sure that this can be done. Does anyone here know
>> how to get this right?
>>
>> many thanks
>>
>> enrike
>>

> I think gcdmaster will do what you need. Included in Ubuntu Studio.
>
> "gCDmaster Features:
>
> * Easy to use graphical interface
> * Multiple project support
> * Playing of Audio CD images
> * Easy dump of CDs to disk
> * CD to CD copy
> * Composition of new Audio CDs from wav files
> * *Graphical insertion of Track Marks (to divide live recordings)*
> * Easy CD-TEXT modification"

just found that it can also be done with rezound. the trick is to put
cues marking in the cut areas, then "File > Burn to CD" menu option does
it. It works very well.

thanks

enrike

Old 07-30-2008, 11:13 PM

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:20:02 +0200
altern <altern2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cory K.(e)k dio:
> > altern wrote:
> >> hi
> >>
> >> this is kind of OT i guess.
> >
> > It's on-topic.
> >
> >> I need to master a wave file into several
> >> tracks on a CD. It is a live recording so there is no gap between
> >> the tracks but I would like to avoid the jump between tracks to be
> >> heard. I have tried with Rezound to cut the wave using cues and
> >> then recording the parts into a CD with K3b, but i still get the
> >> gap in some CD and DVD players.
> >>
> >> So right now i am not sure that this can be done. Does anyone here
> >> know how to get this right?
> >>
> >> many thanks
> >>
> >> enrike
> >>

> > I think gcdmaster will do what you need. Included in Ubuntu
> > Studio.
> >
> > "gCDmaster Features:
> >
> > * Easy to use graphical interface
> > * Multiple project support
> > * Playing of Audio CD images
> > * Easy dump of CDs to disk
> > * CD to CD copy
> > * Composition of new Audio CDs from wav files
> > * *Graphical insertion of Track Marks (to divide live
> > recordings)*
> > * Easy CD-TEXT modification"
>
> just found that it can also be done with rezound. the trick is to put
> cues marking in the cut areas, then "File > Burn to CD" menu option
> does it. It works very well.
>
> thanks
>
> enrike

It probably depends on the burning program and how it is set up. Some
write a afair 2 second gap in between songs (I think that is some kind
of standard?), some don't. Some players ignore that 2 second gap, some
don't. I think the gap was necessary for real old players but isn't
anymore, so I'd try to burn without gaps, especially for a live album.

Philipp

Old 07-31-2008, 09:59 AM
altern

hollunder@gmx.at(e)k dio:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:20:02 +0200
> altern <altern2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Cory K.(e)k dio:

>>> It's on-topic.

>>> I think gcdmaster will do what you need. Included in Ubuntu
>>> Studio.
>>>
>>> "gCDmaster Features:
>>>
>>> * Easy to use graphical interface
>>> * Multiple project support
>>> * Playing of Audio CD images
>>> * Easy dump of CDs to disk
>>> * CD to CD copy
>>> * Composition of new Audio CDs from wav files
>>> * *Graphical insertion of Track Marks (to divide live
>>> recordings)*
>>> * Easy CD-TEXT modification"
>> just found that it can also be done with rezound. the trick is to put
>> cues marking in the cut areas, then "File > Burn to CD" menu option
>> does it. It works very well.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> enrike
>
> It probably depends on the burning program and how it is set up. Some
> write a afair 2 second gap in between songs (I think that is some kind
> of standard?), some don't. Some players ignore that 2 second gap, some
> don't. I think the gap was necessary for real old players but isn't
> anymore, so I'd try to burn without gaps, especially for a live album.
>
> Philipp

i believe it is a bit more complex. i cut my wav so that end of one
track was exactly conected to beggining of next track, i did not change
the end or begining of the tracks, they just connect perfectly. Still I
got this "jump" in some players, it was not 2 secs long btw. i burned it
in K3b. But now with Rezound using cues and burning from rezound itself
it works fine. Looks like by default programs insert some kind of fade
in/out in tracks to make sure it starts/end on zero. well... this is my
explanation of it, but i dont really know.

enrike

Old 07-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Steve Meiers

The "gap" is a setting in your burn software. You probably want to separate songs so you can easily jump to one if you want but still play the whole disc in sequence. You can set the "gap" to be "0" seconds for such recordings where you want continuity, like live or speakers, etc. In these cases you can use the "skip/next/previous" and "go-to-track-number" features of players but still hear uninterrupted audio when you want to listen "front-to-back" style. Just look for the setting in your burn software.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Karlheinz Noise

> i believe it is a bit more complex. i cut my wav so that end of one
> track was exactly conected to beggining of next track, i did not change
> the end or begining of the tracks, they just connect perfectly. Still I
> got this "jump" in some players, it was not 2 secs long btw. i burned it
> in K3b. But now with Rezound using cues and burning from rezound itself
> it works fine. Looks like by default programs insert some kind of fade
> in/out in tracks to make sure it starts/end on zero. well... this is my
> explanation of it, but i dont really know.

You should also keep this in mind:

- Many CD players (mostly older ones) insert a gap themselves. If you get a gap on one player and not on another, this is probably what's happening.

- A track on a CD player doesn't have the same resolution as an audio file. Each audio track can only have 99 index points, and if the file doesn't quite fill one, there will be a gap of silence to "fill up" the current index before the next track begins.

Many CD burning programs get around this by not letting you divide the .wav file at anything than index points. This is assuming you use the CD burning program to divide the .wav file into tracks, not that you're saving each track as a single .wav file. Also, every CD burning program I've seen has some method of turning off the gap before tracks (except the first - this is part of the Red Book Standard).

Hope that helps.

-Karlheinz